All reviewsnoodlesonsen hotelfree of chargekansai airportseafoodpublic onsenocean viewthe cliffplum juicefree snackswestern breakfastbeautiful seasidebreakfast and dinnerhot springsbeautiful hotelthe busbeef
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I went to this onsen hotel as highly recommended by friends! However a bit disappointed as I think it is a bit overpriced.

the room is good with onsen in the balcony but I understand this is just tab water so I prefer going to the public Onsen. The hotel provides separate female and male public onsen and one shared open view onsen next to the beach! The shared onsen view is very good, you need to wear a special dress provided by the hotel when you go out! Quite a special experience, if you don’t need to go to onsen with your partner I prefer to stay in the female onsen as this is more traditional and you can be naked.

The breakfast and dinner is included in the room rate and the food quality is just average! Honestly, I expected a much better meals as Last time when I visited other onsen hotel the food was much better! With that price I would expect a better meals.

You can also have Japanese noodle after dinner without any charge, but the quality is average.

You can’t wear shoes once you go into the hotel and the staff is very friendly and polite.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noel W
Reviewed 15 February 2018

First impressions were good - we were greeted warmly by the staff, who took the effort to explain everything in detail, gave us a welcome drink. Views here are awesome, the ryokan rooms looked good at first and they gave us free snacks in the room. The onsens are very comfortable and relaxing. There is an indoor gender segregated onsen, several private baths and a mixed onsen bath right on the beach with magnificent views of the ocen.

Food is OK, generous portions but quality was not great. We were given fried whale - I understand whale is a Japanese delicacy but I lost my appetite for the rest of the meal after learning that it was whale meat.

Hygiene is a major problem here - while the rooms had spectacular views of the ocean, I was disgusted by the hygiene standards here. The rooms have a musty smell to it, we found what we suspect are blood stains on the humidifier and there appears to be yellowish stains in the sink. I understand we can't wear shoes on the premises, but please at least give us slippers for the outdoor bathing area. We had to wear shared wooden slippers for the outdoor bathing area - how revolting!

Apart from the hygiene, this hotel is OK if you want to try out the Japanese ryokan experience. But if you want to attract more visitors, please put in more effort to clean the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Winnie S
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Second time to stay in this hotel.
First time almost 6 years before. Second time 1 month before.
Service not good as before. For the 1st time, hotel staff help me to deliver luggage to my room. This time I do it by myself.
Location is good for driving, you can drive to some tourist spots nearby.
Take 2.5 hours drive from Kansai airport
Food (dinner and breakfast) remain good.
Washing area in outdoor onsen bit old, need to renovate. (As the price of the hotel is but expensive)

Room Tip: Same price for other choices
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

This is the first time we experienced hot spring in Japan. Although the location of this onsen ryokan is far away from big city, it located by beautiful seaside. There are couple of big cliffs by the ryokan so the view is amazing. The setting of the ryokan is beautiful and serene. We stayed at a sea facing room with outdoor bathtub. The room is spacious and comfortable. The staffs are all very friendly and helpful. There are always a couple of staffs who can speak good English if we need help. Their hot spring baths are all very nice. The outdoor ones are in beautiful settings with beautiful view. The mixed outdoor bath is good for families or couples who would like to use the bath together. We all put on special clothing while in the mixed bath so for people who doesn’t feel comfortable to be naked in the single gender bath, the mixed bath would be a good option. The free supply of water, ice pops and plum juice are always nice after the hot spring.
Food in Kaishu is amazing. Everything is cooked and presented beautifully. They offer variety of dishes and their seafood is so fresh. We love every single meals that they served. There are plenty of places for guests to explore around the town.

We loved our stay in Kaishu very much and would highly recommend anyone who wants to have a relaxing holiday and experience the Japanese hot spring.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights there and it seems a bit longer than anyone expected to stay at the same onsen hotel for 3 nights. The Onsen facilities and the room are spacious and we feel it is one of the best Onsen we have visited. Staffs are friendly and capable to speak English make us fe comfort and relaxed. All the dishes served are unique and it shows difference for our 3 nights stay although it is not dined in the room. Overall we feel good and enjoyable.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple