See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

What a great little place. Room was clean and tidy, really enjoyed our stay. And the breakfast wow can't get better than the farm fry up. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer.....but we will be back.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2015

I attended a conference at this hidden paradise in Joburg south and must say, I was so pleasantly surprised. The staff friendly and the service was fantastic to say the least, the facilities were spotless and tidy and the venue is beautiful and well maintained, not to mention the unbelievably tranquil and lush gardens. The food was homemade and reminded me of a time my mum used to cook for me as a child. Definite thumbs up for this family-run business!!!

Room Tip: Executive suite or bridal suite
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2015

I had the pleasure of visiting Thornbirds when I attended a birthday party there. Tranquil surroundings and fantastic honest to goodness food! What surprised me the most was the pet-friendly aspect and the obvious love for animals of the owners. I would not call the place luxurious, but certainly neat, clean and very rich in countryside charm.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I booked the Executive Suite for 1 night in June. It looked very smart when we went to put in our luggage and everything seemed in order. After a very long day at about 23h00 we looked for water glasses and there were none. When we opened the bed we saw that the fitted sheet were slept in (creased and not crisp) and so was the duvet cover. No flat sheet. You could smell it was not clean. There was an electric blanket in the cupboard with a 2 point plug, but not a plug were this could fit in. We did not go and look for personnel because it was late and very cold and we were exhausted. The next morning we had a very “ordinary” breakfast with no choice but scrambled eggs. Eggs, 3 rashers of bacon, mushrooms and tomato. Won’t stay over at a price of R700 p/p. I tried to speak to the lady the next morning but after I mentioned the glasses and just got a “there should have been” I didn’t even tried to go on.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

What a lovely venue , food , rooms etc but unfortunately the owner who doesn't know how to handle a compliant has let her ratings down. Being a women myself I understand how complaints might be taken to heart but as a business owner I do believe the best way is to always be professional . So should you stay at thornbirds and have a compliant rather don't speak a word otherwise you might have the owner start attacking you in a personal capacity . Very disappointing :(

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family