Reviews (1 049)
1 049 results
All reviews girls night in package relaxation room afternoon tea leisure facilities sauna and steam room spa pool my partner wedding venue health club bar prices food was lovely restaurant staff wedding reception couldn't do enough changing rooms following morning course evening meal
76 - 81 of 1 049 reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have just returned from a two night leisure stay which is currently featured on the hotels website as a seasonal offer. The deal states online that the package includes a two night stay for two people including evening meal, breakfast and use of the hotels leisure facilities. Initially my sister was going to be joining me but due to having a young daughter who is refusing to take a bottle she was unable to stay overnight. I therefore rang the hotel in advance to inform them that she would not be staying but would it be possible for her to join me in the use of the leisure facilities and evening meal on the first night. I spoke to both the hotel and spa staff over the phone and both agreed that this would be fine. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and as this is my first stay away from three small children in three years I was looking forward to relaxing. My sister and I went to use the leisure facilities on the first night and like other reviews previously posted we were informed that the pool was a little on the cooler side due to the installation of a new boiler which limited your use of the leisure facilities somewhat. After we headed to the restaurant and were told that as we were here on the leisure package we were allocated 3 courses with a £25 allowance from the set menu. The food and service were wonderful (my sister is both vegetarian and gluten free and was well catered for) and the table staff were very attentive however at the end of the meal we asked for our drinks bill and we were presented with a bill totaling £60 as we had been charged for the meals as well. After a confused conversation with the waitress we asked to speak to the restaurant manager who checked the system and explained to the waitress that the meals were included and wiped the meals from the bill. On the second night my TV was not working correctly I called down to reception and the manager came up swiftly to my room and although he was unable to fix the problem he quickly moved me to the room next door without any hassle. On check out I was again told that I needed to settle an outstanding £35 for my evening meal and breakfast. I again explained that the meals were included in the package and again the receptionist went on the system and said that she would sort it and allowed me to check out. I then returned home and found that several days later on checking my bank account that the hotel had charged the £35 and taken it from my account. I called the hotel and spoke to a lady called Pam who said she would investigate the problem. She called back and said that she had looked into my stay and the reason I was being charged was that the restaurant allocation was only supposed to be £14.95. I explained on both nights I was told to choose 3 courses with an allocation of £25. She said she would look into it. She then called back to say she had been looking back at receipts and on the first night two people had eaten. I explained that I had purchased the leisure package inclusive of two people and that due to my sisters responsibilities she had to drop out and all of this had been previously agreed. She again said she would call back. Due to my frustrations with the matter I went online and double checked the deal and pricing myself. I called back to inform the hotel that I had infact paid for two people for two nights so if anything I was out of pocket to the sum of two breakfasts and an evening meal. She at that point said she had also checked the online package and I was correct but that she needed to confirm with the manager before any refunds could be made. A day later the hotel (Pam) called back and asked for my card details to refund the £35. I explained that although I was glad to have the refund, I was not happy that several times in my two night stay and subsequently leaving I have had to explain myself to several members of staff and have added stress to what should have been a well deserved relaxing break. Her response was 'Well we all learn by our mistakes'. Indeed you do but none of the mistakes were due to myself or my sister and as a paying customer I paid for a package which had been advertised and I feel it is the responsibility of ALL staff to get it right.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2018

First visit to this hotel. Beautiful place rooms very nice. Breakfast good. However the whole purpose of our visit was to go into the spa and pool. I did this Saturday afternoon only to find it very cold even the hot tub was barely warm. This made the weekend a waste of money has we known we would have come another time.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 28 March 2018

Hi sue1963milly

I apologise that the Pool & Spa pool were not up to temperature - we have very recently had brand new boilers fitted in the Leisure Club and it has taken a little longer for the pool to reach its optimum temperature so that all of our Members & Guests have full use all our facilities.

I hope, if you do revisit us, we can offer you a fully functional Leisure Club to enhance your guest experience of the hotel

I look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Beautiful setting with a good size and clean room. Pool area really nice and all staff friendly and helpful. My bed was not comfortable at all, though, which was a huge shame because I loved the place otherwise. Great Breakfast in a dining area with a pretty view.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 28 March 2018

Hi Catherine E

I am delighted too hear that you fell in love with Hellaby Hall ! i am only upset that you found the bed not to be comfortable ! If you could contact me directly at the Hotel l will investigate your comments further with an inspection of the room in question so that a replacement can be made.

I hope we can welcome you back to Hellaby very soon

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Well I must say that the start of our spa day did not get off well as the hotel was having a new boiler installed and the temporary boiler was not keeping the pool to a good temperature for swimming, but the sauna and the spa rooms were very good. The treatment and relaxing area after treatment was very good. Whilst our disappointment about the pool was still in our minds, David the General Manager came to meet with us in the bar apologised, also offered us Day passes to use the pool and spa areas when the boilers had been fixed, he understood our frustration and helped as much as he could. The hotel itself is very, very clean, the food is excellent and
The staff were good especially Jade and Charlotte who served our evening meal. In the morning again we were not disappointed in the food, there was everything one could want to eat, and the gem on hand to help you was a lady called Wendy. Wendy was the final part which turned a possible disaster into one of the most enjoyable stats we have had in any hotel. Thank you and we will be seeing you again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 21 March 2018

Hi Lesley W

Thank you for leaving your 4* review after your Spa day & Overnight stay.

We were having a lot of issues, that were way beyond our control with the heating & new boilers installation but with every cloud there are Silver linings ! The Leisure Club is almost back up to speed ( 2 more days and we should have cracked it !!)

As a GM, its really pleasing to hear that so many Team Players have been mentioned in your review - as its the Team that make any business and l have too say l front a great Team here at Hellaby Hall.

We all look forward to seeing you soon either in the Leisure Club or in the Hotel

Reviewed 16 March 2018

some rooms weren't cleaned towels not changed. lots of dirt under the beds. bed sheets were not changed or clean. food was disgusting no real sense of taste. when they did make the beds they just folded it round and one of the rooms had the door handle hanging off.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Dan H
Management response:Responded 17 March 2018

Hi Dan H

If l may ask you to contact me directly at the Hotel l can go through your experiences on a 1-2-1 basis. I believe you were staying here on the Apprenticeship Scheme, where you do have the facility to speak to myself & any member of the team, any time during your stay but l do not see any requests from you to do this. I will speak to your Training Provider so that we can resolve any further issues in the future.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and l look forward to speaking to you