All reviews large hotel french doors beautiful grounds thorpe park royal wedding buffet style lego land minute drive reception desk maze harvester
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Room (Suite 1005) was excellent. Large, clean, modern, great view.
Dinner service (from bar menu) was poor. 50 mins for Burgers (that weren't brilliant) and the bar had no Sauvignon Blanc or Malbec. Really?!
Breakfast was good.
Parking easy.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Stayed here over Easter week end with my grandson so that we could visit Lego land.
The room we stayed in was dark and gloomy with a window so high up the wall that you couldn’t look out.
We had breakfast included in the deal, which although plentiful, getting to it was like a rugby scrum!
The restaurant was over crowded, messy and quickly ran out of supplies such as butter for toast. With one toaster between 700 people going through, waiting times were ridiculous.
We will not stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I would give them no star if there was an option for it! The staff was rude and ignorant and the manager was arrogant! I booked a holiday on 31st March for overnight stay( family room for 4) 1st April! We drove all the way from Wales and after a long day spent in LEGOland, we were expecting to receive goodie bags for my girls (3&4years) and chill out in our hotel room! Then our nightmare started! I was told by Rose (receptionist)that they couldn’t find my booking because I booked wrong date, she said I didn’t book for 1st April, I booked for 31st March! My girls were getting so unsettled and upset after the long wait, I believed what she said and blamed myself for making the mistake! She told us we had to leave because they were fully booked! I was so upset! However I found they had family room for 3 available though bookings.com and I asked Rose if we could book that room! She told me to book through bookings.com and pay again! She had no sympathy or whatsoever! But I had no choice! I booked through booking.com however she told me it took a while to wait for them to receive my booking! Anyway after nearly 40minutes, we finally got a room!
After I settled my kids in the room, I double checked my booking confirmation and i did book for 1st April! So I had to take my kids back to reception to deal with them again! Then Rose said it’s their system’s fault they didn’t receive my booking and she said she would refund what I paid thought Booking.com. I was angry! She didn’t apologise for making me to pay again because she made mistake to say I booked wrong date! I asked to speak to her manager Lee! He was arrogant! He did not apologise but just listened to me explain my situation! That’s was already 8pm! My girls still didn’t have dinner cos I was dealing with them! He told Rose to bring us to the buffet restaurant for a free meal! That’s all! I was upset but my girls were so hungry so I couldn’t spent more time dealing with them!
Anyway, their food was awful! Cold and uncooked!
So cut whole story short, we didn’t receive goodie bags cos they didn’t have any! We had to stay in a family room for 3 cos they didn’t receive our booking!
While I was checking out, Rose was still saying we were only one of the victims due to the system’s fault, they had many cases like us that day! But I suppose I was The only one who was so stupid and paid again for something I had already paid?!
She didn’t apologise at all, neither did manager Lee! They just thought a free meal was good enough for us! We were not homeless! I am still so angry now when I am thinking the whole thing again ! I would take this matter as further as I can! Our holiday was ruined and my kids were upset!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The pool was great & heated. The facilities such as gym / bar etc were also very nice. Surroundings were beautiful & it is near local pubs & attractions. The room was a bit basic but clean. Checking it took a while, they had plenty of staff on but still there was a big queue which you don't want after a long journey. May consider having an additional electronic check in.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I decided to take a trip and stay in this hotel due to the four star rating accompanied by some gorgeous pictures of renovated rooms. We read other trip advisor reviews but decided it couldn’t really be that awful and that we would hope for the best (and ask to be put in the new part of the hotel.) We also chose to book a deluxe room and so thought this would also work in our favour

When we arrived we were pleased at how gorgeous the grounds were and the lobby area to check in is also new and modern. The staff were helpful and efficient and we were given the key to our room (which, disappointingly, was not in the new part but instead in the White House.)

‘How bad can it be?’ We wondered ‘surely if the lobby is so new and modern they wouldn’t have left the rooms behind’ we decided.

We went over to the White House where the outside of the building is in dire need of a lick of paint but the inside lobby was again nice and well decorated. We began walking up to our room (signage of the building is quite confusing but not too much of a problem). As I opened the door to our room I was hit with a feeling of abject disappointment. The room was drab, dark, dreary and outdated. The tired carpets were dirty and peeling up, there was no light in the room and I felt genuinely sad that we had wasted our money to be there. We called down to reception three times to no avail so decided to go over.

We expressed our disappointment and were told that due to the hotel being fully booked we could not be moved to the new wing but we could be given a better room in the same part of the hotel - which we accepted. The new room was a million times better! It was light, spacious and welcoming. This makes me wonder - why we were originally put in the other room?

We went out for day and returned to the hotel later after dinner. We went to the 1705 restaurant for drinks and sat at the bar. The bar and restaurant is decorated beautifully however they were completely overrun and clearly had far too many people for the space. There were children running around screaming (which I understand is hard to control but surely some kind of policy can be put in place for the bar area) and they were clearly understaffed. We attempted to go for dessert in the restaurant but the people already queuing were being completely ignored (not told how long the wait would be or anything - just walked past) so we decided to stick to the bar. We ordered dessert to the bar instead - chocolate tart and eton mess. When the Eton mess came out we realised we had been given a bowl of whipped cream and not much else which for 6 pounds is a bit of a farce. We mentioned this to a member of staff (wojciech) who was super helpful and offered us a replacement which we didn’t really want and so instead gave us a drink and a refund. He handled the situation very well and definitely made us feel less frustrated at the generally poor service. Each waiter or member of bar staff seemed to be running around like a headless chicken which very much points to poor management and an issue with understaffing.

We then went back to our room which was absolutely freezing (no heaters either - just fans) and a lot of cold air coming through the window. Being under a flight path was also pretty noticeable with such flimsy windows (which had snapped and broken handles too!)

In the morning we went down to our breakfast which was in the 1705 restaurant. We heard that there were two breakfast areas and that the other was a bad sounding buffet but we did not experience that so cannot comment. The a la carte breakfast was lovely and rather quiet. There was a good selection of juices, pastries, yoghurts, fruits and cereals as well as a menu to order eggs/pancakes/omelettes etc. The host was great but sadly she couldn’t point us towards a decent cup of coffee (all from a machine which made very watery and tasteless drinks). There again seemed to be an issue with a lack of staff here too.

Overall, and perhaps surprisingly, we actually did enjoy our stay here but this was due to having to complain and those complaints being acted upon. The hotel has all the components to be a great hotel but the execution is just not quite there and I really hope that the management re-evaluates how the hotel is being run and all rooms are renovated so that the hotel can be as good as it could be!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple