“Health Club shut and disappointing dining experience”

Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brimington
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I stay in Chesterfield often but my colleague and I chose this hotel this month due to their pool. After a terrible journey up this afternoon I was really looking forward to a relaxing dip before dinner. Not so. Upon arriving at reception a sign informed me the health club was closed until early October. I expressed my disappointment to the receptionist who told me 'the notice is on the website!'. Not helpful. When I asked at what point the notice had been put on the website I was advised sept 2nd. My reservation was made in August. The hotel made no attempt to contact me to let me know previously advertised facilities were no longer available, or that they had adjusted their price accordingly! I doubt I will see a reduction in my bill when I check out...I wasn't even offered a complimentary drink as an apology. Next I try and book a table for two at 7:30. There's no availability I was told, but you can have 7:15 or 7:45. We went for 7:15, expecting to find the restaurant busy, but no. Not even a third occupied. Maybe there will be a sudden influx shortly, but again no. In fact only a small group of 6/7 people entered the dining room after us.
Next failure was wine. I asked for a glass of full bodied red, preferably Malbec or if not a good cab Sauvignon. Not sure what I was given but one sip confirmed it wasn't full bodied and shouldn't have a slight fizz! Don't know if that was due to a residue of something in the glass or watered down wine. Rather reluctantly it was swapped for a Rioja, which was only marginally better.
Main course, pan fried chicken breast on a bed of spring onion mash was tasty, but over priced at nearly £19. Dessert was a disaster. It was described as strawberry and brandy cheescake. I detected no brandy at all. The cheesecake was sloppy and not even chilled. And served with a squirt of canned cream. Really!!
On the positive, the room was nice, albeit far too warm, and the bathroom clean if rather small. But bedlinen tired, not crisp, and had fluff and a strange stain on it (see separate submitted photo).
I'd really like to understand from the management why I should ever consider staying here again?

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Rona D, General Manager at Ringwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Clearly your stay with us, for a number of reasons was a disappointment and for this we apologise.
Unfortunately the sudden closure of the health & fitness club was necessary, and although we endeavoured to contact everyone, some of our third party websites have not been as proactive in advising clients of the closure.
As you are aware I have written to you on a personal basis to respond to your dining room feedback rather more than go into detail in the public arena.
Suffice to say that if we do make a mistake we will acknowledge the fact and deal with it in a professional manner.
We look forward to have the opportunity of welcoming you back for a return visit at some point in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 042)

17 - 21 of 1 042 reviews

Reviewed 24 September 2017

It's only 400 yards from where I was born and the building hasn't changed - just been added to
A nice bar but at £6.50 a large glass of wine definitely in the business budget!
The food was first rate both dinner and breakfast
The bedrooms off the restaurant a little tired and need updating
Overall very nice and recommended

Room Tip: avoid rooms 116-120 as they need upgrading
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank buzzer63

Thankyou for your kind comments following your recent stay at the hotel and in particular the high praise for your dining experience.
Since a change of ownership last year the hotel has been undergoing a refurbishment programme across the public areas, dining areas and bedrooms. The bedrooms that you make reference to are due to have bathroom refurbishment in spring 2018.
Part of this refurbishment programme is the development of the former Parklands Health & Fitness Club into a luxury new spa facility. If you keep an eye on our web pages you will see some excellent opening offers which I hope will tempt you to return.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed on business for 1 night in the area so this is a DB&B review not a wedding or function. I can certainly see why this hotel is so popular for weddings it's a beautiful building and the gardens are lovely and interior is well decorated, clean, tidy and with decor for a country house. Some people may think it's chintzy and tired perhaps but I thought was in keeping with the period theme.

Checked in but a little inconvenient that the room 207 was miles away from reception with narrow corridors, stairs windy turns etc so if you are disabled or require assistance then no lifts in this old building and many rooms are quite far away, so bear that in mind. Anyway got into room with real key and it was large nice outlook, clean, tidy and well appointed. Bed a little hard for me but comfortable. No aircon and heaters are convectors.

Went to the Old Coach House for dinner, had to book although it was pretty empty, a little irritating that the staff member grouped me with other single people in one part of the room quite close to the other lady who was sat right in front and I could sense her disappointment that with more seating options staff insist on putting you where they want. Anyway menu I thought was traditional country house food on a typed menu and fairly small choice perhaps for some but I took the tempura prawns, nice tasty small salad but prawns were largely tasteless. Chose roast and had a lovely beef roast although it was a tad not hot enough to be honest but I still enjoyed it a lot and nice portion size.

I found the restaurant far too bright and not very 'cosy' all the lights were all brightly on which I thought spoilt it a little. Restaurant staff excellent.

Breakfast was excellent and high service.

Didn't use spa etc but assume it's good.

Nice hotel and would probably stay again.

Oh wifi - bit of a faff with a printed log in and password but quite strong and steady signal.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Rona D, General Manager at Ringwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thankyou for leaving your review following your recent overnight stay with us.
Our converted Georgian grade 11 listed Manor House is clearly not a purpose built hotel, and many guests enjoy the unique style and quirkiness that we offer.
It was pleasing to read your comments about our evening dinner and breakfast plus the teams providing service, so pleased that you considered these to be "excellent".
Our spa is now undergoing essential repair and refurbishment, the new spa facility being opened hopefully in late January 2018 will be amazing. Keep an eye on our website for developments, it will provide significant added value opportunities for corporate guests staying with us.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

This venue is set in its own 6 acre grounds and is easily accessed from the main road, A 19th Century building.
It was a wet day but what we could see of the gardens looked beautiful.
We were in the Ringwood Room which was very well decorated in the traditional style. The food was a varied buffet. there was also a bar in the room and facilities for Tea, Coffee andJjuices.
This venue looks like and excellent venue for all things and being a hotel means you do not have to travel very far.
I good day despite the circumstances.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel but would advise you look at their website.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill B

Thankyou for taking the time and trouble to leave your review, at this most distressing of times for you and your family.
So pleased to read that "it was a good day despite the circumstances".

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Came here on a Wowcher and wow, this hotel is beautiful. The room was so nice and the spa was fab. So worth the money that we have booked full price to come again. The breakfast buffet is so nice and additional items are available to order from the kitchen. Had a lovely walk on the canal which isn't too far away. Staff friendly and hotel clean.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

To read that you consider Ringwood Hall to be a "beautiful hotel" was wonderful to read. It seems that you have already paid to again, so thankyou, and clearly you have very much enjoyed your stay with us.
If you thought the Spa was "fab", wait for information on our new spa facility which has just started its build. Should be ready late January next year, updates will be on our website over the coming months.
Hope your next stay is just as enjoyable as this one was!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brimington
2,9 km away
35,5 km away
The Old Hall Hotel
35,8 km away
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Ringwood Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!