All reviews afternoon tea wedding venue garden room scones the main house perfect wedding day wedding breakfast exclusive use wedding coordinator bride and groom lovely evening lovely venue eggs benedict cream tea sitting area beef an overnight stay
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Our daughter was married at Horton Grange on 28th September, a few weeks ago now, and along with all of our family and guests, we can't praise the staff at Horton Grange enough for their part in making our weekend so special and the wedding day the best day ever! Nothing was too much trouble for every single member of staff. All of the team were professional and they certainly know how to host a wedding, a special mention must go to Glenn who couldn’t be faulted and to Roxanne who was so friendly and helpful. Our wedding breakfast was exceptional, dancing throughout the courses, none of the waiting staff complained about having to avoid dancing guests to serve the tables. The grounds are amazing and our photographer captured some wonderful shots throughout the day. The bridal party stayed overnight at this beautiful venue and all had a great nights sleep, no complaints at breakfast the next morning, which was extensive and all freshly prepared....no dried up buffet breakfasts here! From start to finish, planning through to execution all the staff could not have been more helpful or professional.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Horton Grange to anyone either as an intimate, exclusive wedding venue or for a few days stay in the beautiful county of Northumberland.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent, this includes the garden rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear TTurk

Its fantastic to hear everyone had a great afternoon and I must say it was a pleasure to see such a happy bunch of guests dancing throughout the afternoon.

I will certainly pass on your very kind words to both Glenn and Roxanne who I know will be delighted with such praise.

Great news to hear the bridal party enjoyed their nights stay and its so pleasing to hear you would recommend us to future potential Brides and Grooms.

Once again thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We first found Horton Grange back in 2017 when we were searching for a wedding venue. As soon as we walked in we knew we had found the place where we wanted to get married, both for the ceremony and for the reception.

Our meetings with Emma the events manager on the lead up to our day were handled professionally and put us at total ease.

Horton Grange is both big enough for a large number of guests - with many rooms and gorgeous outside areas for people to spread out - plus small enough that if you have a smaller number of guests it's not looking sparse.

In the twelve months leading up to our wedding we visited Horton Grange for lunches and dinners to show our family members the venue ahead of the day, the food and service is impressive and everyone loved it. In fact one of our Grandparents who had a distance to travel decided to drive to the venue a week in advance so he could find it, the staff looked after him and made him a pot of tea!

On our wedding day the staff were so accommodating, anything we asked for was not too much trouble and it was quite literally 'the best day ever'. Thing are handled by the staff with pure expertise. Glen was our co-ordinator on the day and he really knows his stuff when it comes to weddings.

The food is quite possibly the best we have ever experienced at any wedding we had been to - we are just so glad it was at our own wedding. The guests could not have complimented this any higher.

The grounds lend themselves brilliantly for photography and our photographer was able to be super creative using the backdrops available.

Thank you for making our day so special.
Jonathan & Rosalie.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear Jon W

Its great to hear everything was handled professionally by Emma in the build up to your special day.

Also good to hear Glenn and the team looked after you so well on the day, I will pass on your very kind words to the team.

Finally fantastic news regarding your food, I know the kitchen team will be delighted with such feedback.

I am sure I speak for all at Horton Grange when I say we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Absolutely fabulous food, couldn't fault it. Have been several times previously and food was as wonderful as ever.
My main dissapointment was that the restaurant was closed off and decorated ready for a wedding. We were later told that it is no longer used as a restaurant because people don't really use it. I found that rather odd as I was using it and was paying for what I thought was a lovely evening in a first class restaurant. I was not concerned that we might be the only people in. I was booking, I thought, an experience I had had many times before. However we were seated in the lounge area which had been turned into an eating area stroke lounge. Seven small tables huddled together with sofas huddled together at the other end.
Thankfully we were the only ones eating otherwise it would have been very uncomfortable as everyone would have been listening to each other's conversation.
On asking why the changes we were told by the girl serving us that the main restaurant is now a wedding venue and set out as such for people to view. And that it was done to save them having to keep changing things and moving furniture for weddings. I wish I'd been told that upon booking. It is lovely sitting in the main restaurant eating lovely food and bring waited in professionally regardless of how many people are booked in. HOWEVER we were shoved into a makeshift dining area in what used to be a lovely lounge.
We still paid restaurant price and ordered from restaurant menu but felt as if we had booked a meal at a b&b.
Also although the girl working there was pleasant she was going about her chores as she was the only one working that evening. Setting tables for breakfast and generally not making our pleasant evening out a very relaxed pleasant one.
She also informed us that it was a new general manager and most of the old staff had left also to work with previous manager.
I'd have a rethink before you book if you have been before because it certainly isn't what I was expecting. Although the food is second to none.
I'd return in a heartbeat if I was being sitted in the main restaurant and being served by an attentive waiter rather than someone serving us, cleaning and doing chores all at the same time!.
What a shame.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Dear mississippi3

Firstly it is good to hear you enjoyed your food during your evening, I am sure my Head Chef and Kitchen Team will be delighted.

I am however a little disappointed at your comments towards our restaurant and although you are very much entitled to your view, I do feel I need to justify some of the points.

Firstly our dinning room was indeed moved into the smaller lounge area not to save moving furniture as suggested, this decisions was actually taken due to the fact Horton Grange is a very popular wedding venue and to allow potential Brides and Grooms to see the venue in its full glory.

We do feel the new dinning experience is far more suited to create an intimate and relaxed dinning experience for our midweek custom with its two open fires helping to create a very relaxed experience.

We decided to leave the sofas in one side of the room as some of our guests prefer to have afternoon tea on a soft comfy sofa rather than a high back dinning chair. I fully understand this is personal preference however feedback towards moving the dinning room has been very well received.

We do still offer the larger dinning room as private hire and we often serve Sunday lunch in there, however as stated above we do feel the smaller more intimate dinning room is far more suited to our mid week custom.

I would like to point out only two members of staff have followed the previous General Manager and not most of the team as you suggest.

I apologise if the staff member was not attentive during your evening, I will discuss this with the member involved as this is certainly not the kind of service we pride ourselves on.

It would have been nice to have discussed the issues you experienced in a far less public forum however you are certainly entitled to your opinion therefore thank you for your review.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to have the perfect wedding day here, fourteen years ago. We've been back back to stay a couple of times now and I'm very pleased to say that little has changed...
Very friendly, professional and helpful staff; gorgeous food; opulent rooms and gorgeous grounds.
We'll definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Dear johnny m

Thank you for your review, Its good to hear after fourteen years Horton Grange still has a special place in your heart.

I am sure I speak for all at Horton Grange when I say we look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

Me and my new husband can't thank Horton Grange enough. They simply made it the best day ever.

Leading up to the wedding, Emma was extremely attentive, catering to our every need without wasting any time. She was great! The package offered is very flexible, allowing us to change our reception drinks and allow to options for each dinner course.

On the day, the organisation showed by Glenn and the staff allowed all of us to relax, and enjoy the day.

The grounds are superb and we got some fantastic pictures.

Food was amazing. I was concerned that it wouldn't be as good as the tasting day we had, but I was proved wrong!

Best nights sleep I have had in ages, and the breakfast was great. From full english, to eggs Benedict and scones.

It was perfect all around.

Thank you wholeheartedly!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Alexandra w

Dear Alexandra W

Its great to hear Emma was extremely attentive in the build up to your special day as well as making sure the package was perfect for you.

Fantastic news to hear Glenn and the team looked after you so well allowing you to relax and enjoy the day.

Finally its great to hear the food was amazing, I will certainly pass on your comments to all involved.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.