“Burnt chips flat bread like frisbee”

Gills Fish & Chips Ponteland
Ranked #4 of 4 Quick Bites in Ponteland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Description: Your local fish & chip takeaway in the North East for over 35 years, family-run and community-driven. Shops also in Gateshead, Newcastle (Heaton Road), Sunderland, Wallsend and West Denton.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just picked up 2 large fish and chips, kebab meat 2 flatbread large chips, chips overcooked, flatbreads like rock hard frisbees, took them back got a refund of£1.60 for flatbreads very bad service.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (30)

Reviewed 22 December 2020

Collected the order (paid online) fish, chips, peas, southern fried chicken 18.30 21st December. Returned home in Darras Hall (a 6 minute journey), the chicken fillets were still frozen in the middle and required cooking. They are lightly battered on the outside but the inside is frozen.

Fish and chips were delicious but very disappointed that the chicken was not cooked. Did ring to complain straightaway, spoke to someone, best he could offer was to return the food to be re-cooked! Not a great solution.

Overall very disappointing.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank TonyHodson
Reviewed 4 December 2020 via mobile

Local chip shop, always lovely chips but always seem that the portion size too small, the large portion is just about right for one person

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 14 November 2020

2 customers allowed in shop at any one time but staff don’t ask them to wait outside. So you get there and if you’re third in line you wait about 15/20 minutes for the two people in front to order then wait for their order. That’s before you can then order and wait 15/20 mins for your order. If you’re 5th or 6th inline you’re there for 45 minutes or more as it’s usually chaos with folk getting given the wrong food or being forgotten about.
“Ring it in before you go” I hear you say.
I used to do that but then I’d arrive to be 5th/6th in the queue outside, hence I’d have to stand there for half an hour to collect a cold pizza.

Final straw was tonight. Went round and queued 15 mins to place order (1x 12 inch Margherita pizza and chips). Then stood outside for 20 mins awaiting order.
Finally got called in (as I always have the decency to wait back outside). Kid gives me pizza but then goes to take it back as delivery lad is waiting for it. Delivery lad says I can have it as he’s waiting for more food to be cooked.
I get home, open box and the pizza is brown. Totally overcooked yet ironically, freezing cold.
I ring up to tell them and request a fresh one but they don’t answer the phone. After 3 attempts of getting an answer machine I give up and go round. I’m about 6th in-line with the usual chaos going on of folk being forgotten and orders being mixed up.
The heavens open and I get drenched during the 25 minute wait to get in the shop.
During this time a counter screen (for Covid) fell off the counter and smashed on the floor. All the staff stop what they’re doing and start an inquisition into how it fell off. It doesn’t bloody matter! It’s done now, just get on with serving the 10 people that are waiting for their food! Honestly.
I eventually get in, show them the burnt pizza and ask why they aren’t answering their phone.
No reason given although they say sorry and they’ll put a fresh one in.
I just said “Forget it! I’m sick to death of waiting outside. Just give me a refund”.

Last weeks pizza was perfection. Tonight’s was foul. They’re so inconsistent it’s unreal and the service is beyond chaotic.
Every time I go I say “Never again!”, but we are a captive audience.

This time I mean it though. “Never again”.
I think they need to sort themselves out now winter is coming, as folk just aren’t going to put up with the huge wait times before even placing an order.

I’ve given 1 star as it won’t let me leave a zero.

PS. I wish I’d taken a picture now I see you can post them here. First trip advisor review ever, but I’m so bloody furious I feel I should warn folk about the absolute calamity that is Gills Ponteland.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Mark_W81977
Reviewed 25 September 2020

Great to be able to order and pay on their App. Order has always been ready when I call to collect.

Good portions and friendly staff.

Date of visit: September 2020