Reviews (1 715)
1 716 results
1 039
1 039
All reviews library restaurant spa facilities afternoon tea keepers lodge drawing room spa break classic room steam room deluxe room conservatory bar evening meal golf club scones breakfast service birthday treat wedding venue main restaurant
13 - 18 of 1 716 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here last night for a Spa day with 3 other family members. Hotel and surrounding area was breath taking, lovely views. Receptionist was lovely and very accommodating, hotel rooms were ready for us at lunch time when we arrived which was a nice surprise. We all had afternoon tea in the conservatory and it was delicious, the staff were also very accommodating. Spa was very disappointing.we were rushed into this grotty waiting/relaxation room which was not a very nice room. My Aunty and mum filled out a medical form and myself and sister were told it would not matter,full body massage was not great, girls did not seem to be very interested in what you were asking for, to me it was not a great experience,towels were grey looking but where meant to be white, the entrance area into the pool area need a tlc,carpet could have done with a really good clean, to me impressions count. the pool area was lovely, all new and was a pleasure to have a swim in. the rooms were lovely and were well equipped, we had a classic room and a balcony which was a lovely touch. Dinner was served in the library, what a lovely atmosphere. Food was just what l expected, l dine in Michelin Star restaurants in Edinburgh on a monthly basis and this food was up to standard, l did pass on my comments to the receptionist when leaving,food lovely, staff again let them selves down, waiters were pretty clueless,did not know what certain wines where when l asked,l think the head waiter was also very rude, l did not catch his name but do remember the big dirty tattoo on his neck, again it was a slight let down, no steak knives or spoons placed on the table when ordered.breakfast was also served in the library and we were out at the same table, table was with breath taking views but we had to ask to be re seated as the table cloth was dirty and marked, don't think it had been changed from the previous night. It may all be small things that will hopefully get rectified as the staff just need to get a bit more experience, overall lovely stay but not sure if l would return.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out to the golf course looked lovely
Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Chic-sa
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Chic-sa

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am sorry to learn that a number of aspects of your stay were disappointing.

Please contact the hotel and ask for myself and I would be happy to discuss your comments in further detail.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at Matfen for one night. Friendly and helpful reception staff. Lovely room, with complimentary chocolates. We had the option of dinner in either the dining room or conservatory and chose the conservatory, which probably wasn't the best idea. Food was OK, but service was very slow. Also, lots of flies on the windows. Breakfast was fabulous. Overall, a great experience.

Stayed: July 2018
3  Thank Sue277
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely lovely overnight stay couldn't fault anything slight mix up at check in which was my fault but the receptionist was so helpful it was sorted perfectly have a great bar meal and drinks in the evening prices not too bad and although the bar was super busy the service was excellent as a extra treat we had room service in our room at breakfast time it was served on time hot and delicious our room was large with everything you needed even a little dining area which made having our meal very chilled lots of free parking the spa to use fabulous grounds can't wait to go back

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bootsthecat1
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for one night for a room, dinner and breakfast date night. Overall, our stay was good. But it was not up to the high standard we were expecting for the price. Our room was lovely and ver clean but it was located above the fitness studio so was quite noisy with the sound of music for most of Friday evening and from 9am on Saturday morning. The room was also incredibly hot with no way of cooling down. So much so we had to sleep with the balcony doors open all night and it was still too hot! (even on a stormy wet night like Friday 12th October). The water in the bathroom was lukewarm at best.

The food for dinner was excellent and couldn't fault it. However, we turned up on time at 7.45pm and were told to sit down in the drawing room. We were then waiting for A LONG time (~45 mins) to be seen before we could order our food and drink. Service during dinner was great.

Overall, a nice night away, but many things to improve to make it a special one!

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank georgec607
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest

Further to your recent stay, I was of course extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay and please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfalls you experienced.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you and would please ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

Once again, my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Overnight spa break as a present for two.Beautiful location , grounds and golf course.Fantastic old building and history. Staff willing and pleasant. Room upgraded and lovely although bathroom needs bringing up to date.Evening meal stunning. After that I am afraid it was a huge disappointment.4.00pm snack in conservatory very disappointing.Draught Guiness pump but saw my beer being poured from a can.No explanation given. Evening meal , table booked for 8.15 pm. We arrived on time and were welcomed /seated to await a call for the table. No request for a drinks order or wine menu offered. No menu offered. Finally offered the menu, but no drinks menu. Asked for drinks, then had to chase drinks once seated ... Drinks arrived / wrong. Finally got water and then the drinks 50 minutes from our 8.15 arrival time. Took breakfast in the conservatory. Understaffed once again with both staff run ragged. Uncleared tables to a half empty room. We had to ask for - cutlery/butter/ drink glasses for juice/ bread/ plates/ chase coffee order. No fruit salad left/ no orange juice left. English breakfast was full of grease with burnt hash brown. Staff were pleasant but disorganised. This is at 9.00 am. Six tables to deal with. So, then the spa break...Two members of staff were ill , so we agreed to our one hour spa treatment cut to half an hour. Refunded to suit. We did enjoy this and half an hour was about right. Steam room out of operation. Nice pool and sauna. So.... massaged into submission we left. This is not an inexpensive hotel and this fire fighting results in bad marks from us. Sorry but we tried so hard to accept the shoddy service.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 17. Dog friendly. Nice big bed.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BPasta
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear BPasta,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Unfortunately during your stay, a number of our staff members were affected by a bug which seems to be doing the rounds. Of course, in our industry, health and safety is paramount and therefore these members of staff were unable to be in the business until this had cleared. Please accept my apologies that this situation has impacted on your stay with us.

It is very gracious of you to have rated many other areas of the hotel favorable, and I thank you for your honest evaluations.

Please contact our House Manager, Stacy Purvis, direct at the hotel, whom I have instructed to help with this matter.

Kind Regards