Reviews (1 739)
1 739 results
1 054
1 054
All reviews library restaurant afternoon tea spa facilities keepers lodge drawing room spa break classic room steam room deluxe room conservatory bar evening meal golf club scones birthday treat wedding venue breakfast service main restaurant
38 - 43 of 1 739 reviews
Reviewed 16 October 2018

I stayed at Matfen for one night. Friendly and helpful reception staff. Lovely room, with complimentary chocolates. We had the option of dinner in either the dining room or conservatory and chose the conservatory, which probably wasn't the best idea. Food was OK, but service was very slow. Also, lots of flies on the windows. Breakfast was fabulous. Overall, a great experience.

Date of stay: July 2018
3  Thank Sue277
Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely lovely overnight stay couldn't fault anything slight mix up at check in which was my fault but the receptionist was so helpful it was sorted perfectly have a great bar meal and drinks in the evening prices not too bad and although the bar was super busy the service was excellent as a extra treat we had room service in our room at breakfast time it was served on time hot and delicious our room was large with everything you needed even a little dining area which made having our meal very chilled lots of free parking the spa to use fabulous grounds can't wait to go back

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bootsthecat1
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Stayed for one night for a room, dinner and breakfast date night. Overall, our stay was good. But it was not up to the high standard we were expecting for the price. Our room was lovely and ver clean but it was located above the fitness studio so was quite noisy with the sound of music for most of Friday evening and from 9am on Saturday morning. The room was also incredibly hot with no way of cooling down. So much so we had to sleep with the balcony doors open all night and it was still too hot! (even on a stormy wet night like Friday 12th October). The water in the bathroom was lukewarm at best.

The food for dinner was excellent and couldn't fault it. However, we turned up on time at 7.45pm and were told to sit down in the drawing room. We were then waiting for A LONG time (~45 mins) to be seen before we could order our food and drink. Service during dinner was great.

Overall, a nice night away, but many things to improve to make it a special one!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank georgec607
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Dear Guest

Further to your recent stay, I was of course extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay and please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfalls you experienced.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you and would please ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

Once again, my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Overnight spa break as a present for two.Beautiful location , grounds and golf course.Fantastic old building and history. Staff willing and pleasant. Room upgraded and lovely although bathroom needs bringing up to date.Evening meal stunning. After that I am afraid it was a huge disappointment.4.00pm snack in conservatory very disappointing.Draught Guiness pump but saw my beer being poured from a can.No explanation given. Evening meal , table booked for 8.15 pm. We arrived on time and were welcomed /seated to await a call for the table. No request for a drinks order or wine menu offered. No menu offered. Finally offered the menu, but no drinks menu. Asked for drinks, then had to chase drinks once seated ... Drinks arrived / wrong. Finally got water and then the drinks 50 minutes from our 8.15 arrival time. Took breakfast in the conservatory. Understaffed once again with both staff run ragged. Uncleared tables to a half empty room. We had to ask for - cutlery/butter/ drink glasses for juice/ bread/ plates/ chase coffee order. No fruit salad left/ no orange juice left. English breakfast was full of grease with burnt hash brown. Staff were pleasant but disorganised. This is at 9.00 am. Six tables to deal with. So, then the spa break...Two members of staff were ill , so we agreed to our one hour spa treatment cut to half an hour. Refunded to suit. We did enjoy this and half an hour was about right. Steam room out of operation. Nice pool and sauna. So.... massaged into submission we left. This is not an inexpensive hotel and this fire fighting results in bad marks from us. Sorry but we tried so hard to accept the shoddy service.

Room tip: We stayed in Room 17. Dog friendly. Nice big bed.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BPasta
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Dear BPasta,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Unfortunately during your stay, a number of our staff members were affected by a bug which seems to be doing the rounds. Of course, in our industry, health and safety is paramount and therefore these members of staff were unable to be in the business until this had cleared. Please accept my apologies that this situation has impacted on your stay with us.

It is very gracious of you to have rated many other areas of the hotel favorable, and I thank you for your honest evaluations.

Please contact our House Manager, Stacy Purvis, direct at the hotel, whom I have instructed to help with this matter.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Highly dissatisfied with this hotel , all my reviews have always been good one’s anywhere we have stayed but not this time .
Made to get changed in spar as told our room wasn’t available and that’s ok a mean we did call before and ask but wasn’t available.
Yet 2 other couples that stayed with us somehow managed to get in early and didn’t request early check in .
Advised booking with wedding was 200 a night yet charged 240 already taken 40’deposit from us so ended up been 290 , when spoke reception very unhelpful .
We couldn’t check in so had leave for wedding on return the windows had been left open and the room was freezing , breakfast was freezing , coffee was cold .
To pay all that money and it was far from what you would expect .
This isn’t half the story , I’ve stayed in far nicer places for the money and would never go back .

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jill R
Bernard B, Managing Director at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2018

Dear Jill R,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Our check in time for our rooms is 3pm, which is stated on our confirmations. We do invite all our guests to arrive from 10am to use our facilities.
I understand you were attending a wedding at another local venue along with a number of our other guests that evening.
I was pleased to hear that my team were able to get some of the rooms ready prior to 3pm, however, it would not have been possible to have organised this for everyone.

Having looked at your reservation and as explained on departure, your room booking was made independently of the group booking and therefore you were offered the best available rate at the time of £240.00 for your Deluxe room.
Our Reception Manager, did speak to your partner and asked if he had any correspondence with regards to any different rates, but unfortunately he was unable to provide this. She also explained that no deposits had been taken. He was also offered the opportunity to speak to our Duty Manager which he declined.

I must apologise about your breakfast and I will be investigating this with our kitchen team.

I am sorry to hear you would not return to the hotel, however, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Yours Sincerely,