“Good guidance for beginners ....”
Review of Thankas and Gifts

Thankas and Gifts
Ranked #1 of 4 Shopping in McLeod Ganj
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

If you are new and want to buy a thangka, a visit to Marlene's shop is a must.
She will give you all the guidance you need ...
Looking forward to visit again..

1  Thank jasjot s
in 3 reviews
"ganj"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 27 November 2017

My last hour in McLeod Ganj, I left a cafe and as I walked by this place, something told me to go inside. This was unusual as I don't frequent gift shops in tourist areas due to the unpleasant experience of high-pressure sales and bargaining. The storefront looked welcoming and warm, and when I went in I was surprised to find a very friendly foreigner manning the store. I believe she owns it. I looked around at the beautiful art for sale and there was no pressure to buy, and everything was marked with prices. The owner was so pleasant and kind, and it was a wonderful experience. I purchased a beautiful painting and she packaged it up very nicely and wished us well on our journeys. I will return there if I ever return to McLeod Ganj. Blessings!

1  Thank Natalie S
Reviewed 25 February 2017

I visited Marleen's shop after reading a couple of the reviews here, and after I had a couple of bad experiences with vendors passing off junk as high-quality goods. I wouldn't have found it but for a nice young shopkeep about four doors down from Marleen's shop, who said "We're friends! I can take you to her!" after I wondered aloud where she was. Hint: find the Carpe Diem restaurant and walk about 8-10 shops uphill from the restaurant. You'll find her there, and likely also a street dog she feeds, behind a veil of clear plastic to keep the warmth in. She offers a wealth of information about Thangkas based on years of study, and she is clearly passionate about the art. She is also mindful to help customers identify their own needs after reflecting on the Thangka art. But most importantly she has a beautiful spirit and energy that you just want to be around after experiencing some of the dishonest vendors in the area. Her prices are fair and the quality is outstanding. I highly highly highly recommend this as the #1 shop in Dharamsala.

4  Thank JSWalker541
Reviewed 24 December 2016

A friend took me to this hidden gem, tucked away near Carpe Diem restaurant, and I found a perfect gift with Marleen's help. It was a lovely experience! Marleen sells the most beautiful and authentic art I have seen in McLeod Ganj, and she is lovely, gracious and welcoming. Thank you!

2  Thank Eliza R
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

I went in to buy a wooden bracelet, and I came out with a changed philosophical perspective. That was the effect produced on me by Marleen Reinsert, a very inspiring Belgian lady, running the small handicrafts store at jogiwara road in McLeodganj. Everything I checked was reasonably priced and of good quality. The sheer effect i got from a deep conversation with her is rewarding enough to remember her as one of the most cheerful personalities I have came across in McLeodganj. So if you ever wish to buy thankas or other Tibetan handicrafts , then this is the place to go without a doubt !

3  Thank Arjun H