“Best energy, best information, best experience--just the BEST!”
Review of Thankas and Gifts

Thankas and Gifts
Ranked #1 of 4 Shopping in McLeod Ganj
Reviewed 25 February 2017

I visited Marleen's shop after reading a couple of the reviews here, and after I had a couple of bad experiences with vendors passing off junk as high-quality goods. I wouldn't have found it but for a nice young shopkeep about four doors down from Marleen's shop, who said "We're friends! I can take you to her!" after I wondered aloud where she was. Hint: find the Carpe Diem restaurant and walk about 8-10 shops uphill from the restaurant. You'll find her there, and likely also a street dog she feeds, behind a veil of clear plastic to keep the warmth in. She offers a wealth of information about Thangkas based on years of study, and she is clearly passionate about the art. She is also mindful to help customers identify their own needs after reflecting on the Thangka art. But most importantly she has a beautiful spirit and energy that you just want to be around after experiencing some of the dishonest vendors in the area. Her prices are fair and the quality is outstanding. I highly highly highly recommend this as the #1 shop in Dharamsala.

Date of experience: February 2017
6  Thank JSWalker541

Reviewed 24 December 2016

A friend took me to this hidden gem, tucked away near Carpe Diem restaurant, and I found a perfect gift with Marleen's help. It was a lovely experience! Marleen sells the most beautiful and authentic art I have seen in McLeod Ganj, and she is lovely, gracious and welcoming. Thank you!

Date of experience: December 2016
3  Thank Eliza R
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

I went in to buy a wooden bracelet, and I came out with a changed philosophical perspective. That was the effect produced on me by Marleen Reinsert, a very inspiring Belgian lady, running the small handicrafts store at jogiwara road in McLeodganj. Everything I checked was reasonably priced and of good quality. The sheer effect i got from a deep conversation with her is rewarding enough to remember her as one of the most cheerful personalities I have came across in McLeodganj. So if you ever wish to buy thankas or other Tibetan handicrafts , then this is the place to go without a doubt !

Date of experience: December 2016
4  Thank ArjunH50
Reviewed 12 June 2016

Hi everyone, if you go to McLeodganj, you need to visit this magical place run by Marleen irrespective of the time of the year. I had been in McLeodganj for 2 days, the first day I didn't connect with the place and felt Rishikesh was better, but the next morning after visiting Marleen's emporium, it completely changed my perspective.

I think she was the most pleasant person I talked to in the whole of McLeodganj. She offers a variety of art and craft items that anybody would love to carry back home for affordable prices. She just provides a great hospitality to her visitors.

Great going Marleen, I wish to come back soon and pay another visit.
Until then, Om Mani Padme Hum :)

Date of experience: May 2016