“ Great experience and professional staff”
Review of Scuba Coiba

and up
Full-Day Diving for Beginners at Coiba National Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Diving tours to Coiba National Park and dive sites close to Santa Catalina, snorkeling tours and dive courses
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Diving at Coiba is amazing!!! The environment both above and under water is great!

We have been diving with Scuba Coiba for 2 days. Very Nice company. Both Ben and Elli were professional and good fun!
As i am a unexperienced diver (OW) they made sure I was comfortable under water.

Booked the trip way in advance. Communication is good and clear
Accomodation at Coiba is simple and nice. Food was great!

They speak your language
English, french, spanish, german)

Great company! Thanks Ben, Elli () for this experience!

Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

Shop owner Herbie was very helpful when we were planning the trip. We got info about accommodation, instructions on how to get to Santa Catalina and so on. The Coiba diving was excellent and their chefs at the island were amazing. We ate one of the best meals of our whole vacation from Scuba Coiba chefs. Instructor Ellie during the dives is a pro!

Herbie S, General Manager at Scuba Coiba, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2017

Thank you for the nice review. Multi-Day trips are our signature trips, where people expect to get the best Coiba has to offer and we try hard to give it to them. This includes to offer the best possible service regarding food and accommodating them at a government run and remote ranger station, where you have to bring everything except the mattresses basically.

Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

Great staff, real diving lovers could not have been a better trip thanks to the two dive instructors Eli and Ben and the owner Herbie.

Stayed for 4 days including a night on Coiba but I could have stayed longer.

Strongly recommend to anyone looking for some great diving and to experience it with great dive instructors who offer more than just the dives by sharing their experiences, stories.

Very professional organisation.

1  Thank Patrick W

well said. I hope you have many similar experiences and maybe we can welcome you back once.

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

We recently dived with Scuba Coiba as certified open water divers. Our instructor Ben was friendly, helpful and extremely reassuring. All the staff at Scuba Coiba had great knowledge of the area and answered all our questions. We had a great time, would highly recommend.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

I have done a bunch of due diligence before I decided to write about my experience with Scuba Coiba.

I booked the 3 day, 2 nights, 9 dive package in/ around Coiba Island. 3 of us on this package along with 3 day trippers plus our guide Cederic and captain/ first mate. 2 weeks prior I had completed my Advance Open Water in Bocas and have been diving for 15yrs+.

We all entered the water for our first dive and the group was experienced and descending quickly. 10ft down it was apparent that my mask wasn't cooperating and fogging up no matter what tricks I tried to make it stop. However, I decided to continue on with the dive hoping it would improve (it didn't).

Cederíc took the groups air levels at around the 30min mark. Group was 1500PSI and I was low man given my mask issues at 1100PSI. We did another one 10min later and the group was 1000PSI versus my 700PSI and we were 60ft down. He turned around and started to swim and I was 10ft behind him and the group following me. After three short, shorter, no breaths it was obvious I was out of air. I immediately swam and grabbed Cederic leg and told him I had no air. As I reached for his back up as he passed it to me and I used that as we eventually made our way back to the surface with safety stops enroute.

At the surface I ripped my mask off and said "dude, what is the deal with my gage, it shows 700PSI"

His Comment "you must have an old gage"

I swam back to the boat extremely upset and when he came over once we were headed to the next dive I said, "I need to understand what just happened. My gage shows 700 PSI and you're telling me you guys use your equipment until it expires before you decide to throw it in the garbage."

His Comment "yes"

Pretty sure this isn't PADI common practice in regards to their equipment rentals, but concerning if it is.

5  Thank Alba901
Herbie S, Director General at Scuba Coiba, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Thanks for your review. I do not know when you where diving with us, as you state in October 2016, but Cedric does not work with us since June 2016. But it does not matter really.

First I would like to congratulate you for your correct reaction to a potential dangerous situation (running out of air). This shows a great deal of confidence and experience, as we request from divers who want to join one of Scuba Coiba's Multi-Day trips to Coiba National Park. (Most of our competitors do not ask for this experience in booking divers for these kind of trips.) Your pressure gauge was showing a wrong information, you noticed, that you ran out of air, as it got harder to breathe and you swam up to the guide signaling him the problem and going up slowly with his alternate air source, still taking the time for safety stops. Exactly as per the book!

Second, I am sorry for the failure of a piece of equipment. We service equipment regularly of course and also sort out gear before it starts to fail, if we notice a lot of wear in our maintenance schedules or upon complaints or obvious failures. But we do not know in advance, that a piece of gear will malfunction as we can't do more than try it before diving and if it works on land, it seems to be fine. Some failures are only noted during a dive and if they are not reported, we can't do anything. Or they just happen unexpectedly, what seems to be the case with the pressure gauge.

A pressure gauge is just a mechanical piece and it can happen, that the needle stops somewhere or moves irregularly (for example because of salt inside the mechanism). But this is one of the things we don't know in advance. I am sure you checked your equipment and your pressure gauge before diving and it seemed to be o.k.?

Rest assured, that, if we have been informed of this failure after the trip, we have thrown the pressure gauge away and replaced it with a new one.

I am sure, that the faulty pressure gauge has been exchanged immediately, as we carry spare equipment on our boats and hope you enjoyed the other 8 dives on your trip.