All reviews the owner beautiful view steep driveway the reefs hilly property scuba diving spaghetti the hotel sits an adventure great place stayed nights luis sunset hammocks ocean porch revenue
Reviewed 12 May 2018

We stayed here while snorkeling the reefs of Coiba. The hotel sits on top of a hill overlooking Santa Catalina and has great views from the porches of the rooms. The rooms were well appointed and modern and have hammocks on the porches. The only concern I had was not being able to open and close the shower door without a superman struggle. The owner was extremely gracious and brought out the catch of the day to show us our options for dinner. I had the red snapper and my friends sampled most of the other options. The cook provides your choice of topping and preparation and the food was extremely well prepared. Breakfast was excellent with choices of eggs, omelets and pancakes. The pool sits next to the restaurant overlooking the bay and provided a great place to sit and have a cocktail. I enjoyed both a margarita and pina colada. We also had the spaghetti bolognse on our second night and it was as good as I've ever had with lots of sauce and meat. The steep driveway leading up to our rooms was an adventure in itself when our guide ferried us back and forth from the ocean.
However, as our host reminded us, this was the tropics and it has 1500 varieties of insects so he suggested we not leave our doors open. I would also suggest that you turn off the porch light outside your room since it can attract at least 1400 of those insects and you would have to dodge into your room quickly.

Room Tip: The rooms neat the top of the hill have the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
SantaCatalinaSurfer, Owner at Hotel Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking your time to write such a kind review of our Hotel.
You being on a Tour it is very important to have such good feedback as many times tour guests have high expectations so knowing we are up to the standard pleases us and shows our efforts are appreciated
Sorry about the shower door,it was missing one of the little wheels,we already sorted the problem with that one and another that present the same problem,
Glad you and your group enjoyed the rooms,food and cocktails as well!!!
Hope to see you here again sometime

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Beware the hill (that offers the best view in Santa Catalina)

Our taxi dropped us off at the bottom of 'the hill' and before we could start lugging our gear up the hill a member of staff fired up the 4 x 4 truck and was helping put our luggage (which was plentiful) onto the flat bed and checked us in with a smile.

Every member of staff we encountered during our (too short) visit were helpful and friendly.

Luis, the owner, made efforts to greet and speak with every guest and was so kind as to give us a ride to our dive center early one morning when he was short staffed.

This property is clearly a labor of love, being crafted with the beautiful surroundings in mind.

We stayed in a King Room which was spotlessly clean and furbished with quality furniture.
The bathroom possibly had the best hotel shower I've experienced and was stocked with eco-friendly toiletries, which I'm not ashamed to say I totally pocketed (thanks Luis)!!

The view from the pool is spectacular (which makes you forget about the hill) and the breakfast provided was timely, made to order and delicious (mix of buffet and cooked to order).

Had we not already booked to stay at another hotel for our second part of our Santa Catalina trip we would certainly have stayed here again!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
SantaCatalinaSurfer, Propietario at Hotel Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Dear guest
Thank you for taking your time to give us a good review,we are always happy to know our efforts are noticed!!
Also appreciate that you notice that we put a lot of effort to keep and improve the beauty of the surroundings by planting and gardening all the time,not only so guests have beautiful views but also to attract birds and other animals by providing food and shelter.
Also important to me is that you mention that the hill is very steep but the views from the top make it worth it!That was exactly my thought when I decided to build on top of the hill and not down by the road where I also had space!! We don¨t want to hide the fact that we have over 100 steps in total to lead from and to different parts of the hill,but this provides the beautiful views,peace and quiet that make our Hotel such a unique place.
Hope you visit us again and will continue to improve the Hotel so you find it even better next time!!

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I liked the hotel grounds from the first: green heaven on a hilly property. Manicured lawn, fruit and decorative trees all around, birds, buterflies... Our room in a bungalow was spacious, with nice decor, comfortable beds, couch, fridge, hot water in bathroom, not to mention spotlessly clean. End there is veranda with a hammock and great sunrse views. The views are even more spectacular from the restaruant on the top of the hill, from where we admired sunsets as well. Food was fabulous: big brakfasts and great dinners-lunch. I especialy liked shels and shrimps with spagetti! The chef knows how to prepare perfect pasta! There is also inviting pool near the restaurant and a new adrenaline atraction: zipline! For now it runs in two stages - first one with great views to the sea which are the best at the sun set. Luis, the owner, is talkative, fun host who really knows what tourists like.He can also organize for guests different activities, from surfing, snorkeling to scuba diving. We would love to stay in the hotel again!

Room Tip: all rooms are nice
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank izi f

Hi
Thank you very much for your kind words.
We are always pleased to get nice reviews.yours is good also for guests that are looking into staying at Sol y Mar as you make a description of what you found in the rooms and grounds.
Glad you enjoyed the food as well,providing comfortable rooms and good food and service is our main goal.
You even mentioned the zipline,this is a new attraction,don´t remember if you tried it?Many guests are now trying this,not only hotel guests but people from other places as well,everyone has fun,even me and my kids!!
Hope to have you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay in Santa Catalina. I love this hotel and would deffinetly recommend to those visiting the area but don't want to stay in the near by hostel.
The view and pool are so beautiful. Our room was lovely and food was Great! I can't say enough about the food and service here! There are a lot of steps to walk up, so be prepared with flat shoes.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear guest
So happy that you enjoyed everything in our Hotel and even the steps you had to climb didn´t stop you from having a great time!!
Me and my staff will continue to make our best efforts to make you feel comfortable and welcome while trying to help with whatever needs you might have.
We look forward to your next visit to our paradise!!!

Reviewed 14 January 2018

We stayed for a couple of days. After exploring the whole area we came to the consciousness that this is one of the top places to check in. The view is superb (hotel is on a hilltop), it's very clean, has it's own restaurant attached if you want to spend a relaxed evening and last but not least the owner Luis is always there to help you out if you run into troubles.

In our case my girlfriend got seriously sick. When I asked Luis about the next doctor he said the only reasonable place to go in this particular case is the hospital in Sona (~1,5h car ride one-way over a bumpy road). It didn't take any further appeal and he was already in his truck ready to give us a ride to save time. The whole trip lasted until late night and Luis was always there to support us and get us back "home" again. I doubt you can find a lot of other places where altruistic help like this come as naturally as we experienced it here!

If you are looking for a nice place to relax your body and mind this is the place to be in Santa Catalina.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristianS9184

Thank you so much for your excellent review of our hotel.Feel flattered when people consider Sol y Mar one of the Top places in Santa Catalina.
It was nice having you and am happy that I could help when your girlfriend got sick and that she got better.I feel responsible for my guests and you were not the first that I felt the need to help as there are no nearby hospitals and at Soná doctors don´t really speak english.Other then that you have to admit that the care your girlfriend got was not only excellent but also dirt cheap!!Public health care is almost free and universal in Panama and Tourists even get extra attention in this remote areas where Hospital staff are not so busy!!
Hope to see you here again and this time with no health troubles,all the best!!