“Weekend of the dream”

Pavillon de la Rotonde
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We celebrated our 3d marriage anniversary with my husband in this hotel. We had just outstanding experience. Service is very good, staff are very helpful and friendly. Room was huge and very nice we had as well a big balcony with chaise longue. Nice SPA with big swimming pool, but hammam too small for such a level of hotel and jacuzzi didn't work during our stay. Particularly want to say about fitness - it's just a disaster, I never saw such a poor fitness room in hotels, I had an impression that they found all this machine in the scrapheap, they are so old, hardly working, belt has a huge irregularity on his surface, dumbbells rotten you even can't take them in your hands! It would be better not having a fitness room at all, then such a shame!
Restaurant is very good, we had an excellent dinner!
Hotel is located near wonderful park.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tania S
There are newer reviews for Pavillon de la Rotonde

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I've stayed there several times and despite its pretentions this hotel doesn't deserve to feature in the five-star category, although it qualifies in terms of prices.
The remote location (village outside Lyon) isn't an issue as taxis can be ordered easily. Unfortunately it doesn't translate into perfect bucolic peace: there's plenty of traffic noise due to the passing road and nearby railway. The rooms are soundproof however so with closed windows the noise isn't noticeable.
The hotel has only a few rooms and they are vast and beautifully decorated. Some categories have a jacuzzi and hammam in the bathroom. The free bottle of local mineral water and the complimentary tea and coffee from the high tech machine are a lovely touch. So is the free WiFi.
Breakfast is served in the bar and frankly isn't worth the EUR25 for a few pastries, bread, jams, cereals, fruit salad and yogurt. The only concession to savoury is smoked salmon of average quality.
Room service is limited to foie gras and cheese on the days the restaurant is closed - not really acceptable.
The restaurant however is a gourmet mecca. It's famous in the area and often chosen by festively dressed local families for birthdays or other celebrations. However, the solitary diner is made to feel just as welcome. I invariably get a good table, with a view over the gardens, and the service is almost too perfect - does there really need to be a different waiter to give me the menu, bring me bread, pour me water, tell me about the wines, serve me the food...
I'm pretty sure they have a Michelin star, and well deserved. The quality and freshness of each ingredient is obvious (home made bread, butter and cheese from a famous supplier, etc) and the seasonal menus combine inventiveness and classic approach to some traditional dishes.
I haven't used the spa itself, only the swimming pool: not quite the right shape for swimming but it's manageable, especially when the place is empty, which is usually the case. There are opening hours but it's accessible any time on request - great for early birds like me!
The staff is generally pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank brancusirocks
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Where to start? From the minute we arrived, we got a brief hotel tour, then we were brought to our rooms.

The room was large, new, and very well appointed with a large balcony on to a superb courtyard. The service is impeccable, we dined I their restaurant and the food and service was perfect, so much passion for food and service.

The hotel offered us complimentary wifi for our stay, as well as valet parking. The only downside is that other that the restaurant at the hotel, there is not much to find in terms of restaurants in the area, your other alternative is the casino which is very simple, but again the food is good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CinandEd
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed overnight for a weekend special. Welcome was excellent,warm and friendly. Room was magnificent with lovely furnishings; all of very high standard. Room was extremely large with nice balcony. Air con; lovely sheets; blackout blinds - slept for 10 hours.
Spa was OK.. nice swimming pool and hammam/steam room. Cleanliness was not an issue... it was fine.
The 2 star Michelin restaurant of Philippe Gauvreau was wonderful although obviously not cheap!

Even though we had an apartment only 12 km away in Lyon, this was a very worthwhile and pleasant overnight trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I booked this hotel according to the reviews it received, here on tripadvisor and it is beyond my understanding that this Hotel has gotten good reviews. It is the worst 5 star Hotel I have ever stayed at. This establishment deserves not 5 stars.The SPA is dirty and a disaster. The gym cannot even be called a gym and I am not sure if it has ever been cleaned.The in room dining choice consists only of a salad and a couple of sides! The food in general is not worthwhile to mention. I have noticed very few Hotel guests- which speaks already for itself already.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Airam26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charbonnieres-les-Bains
7.9 km away
8.6 km away
Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection
6.8 km away
Hotel Lyon Metropole

Been to Pavillon de la Rotonde? Share your experiences!