All reviews dance floor full english greater manchester function room plenty of parking home from home couldn't do enough steak would stay again breakfast was excellent lovely staff motorway venue
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

A very pleasant short break. Excellent breakfast included in the price. The evening meal selection (for additional cost) was a very restricted expensive meal with little veggie option.
The hotel should have leaflets of local events and attractions. Although the staff are very obliging to Google and print details.
All in all an enjoyable few days.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Stayed here two nights in July. Meant to be there three but left. Room seemed as though it hadn’t been used in months. Cobwebs over the walls and ceiling and furniture. Spiders everywhere. Dirty skirting boards etc. Dust on chair. Rust on pipes in bathroom, lose bath panel, rust on shower glass cubicle. Faeces around toilet rim.Took photos as evidence. Complained when saw state of room and assured it would be cleaned next day. Didn’t get back till late and no one had even been in the room to service or clean it. Too late for me to leave and go anywhere else. Left next morning. Got apology and money back for the third night I didn’t stay. Feel could have been more generous and refunded more of the cost of the stay. It was awful. On the plus side the staff were friendly and breakfast was nice. However the standard of cleanliness was dreadful and it’s a wonder I didn’t catch something!!! There was a gap under the door, and fire exit nearby also had a gap- had a huge beetle in each night!!! With two dogs and given room furthest away from exit, through three lots of doors to access- ridiculous! Unable to access bar due to function on first night and all locked up by 10pm when I returned on the Sunday!!!Won’t be back. Photos are too bad to share on here!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2018

Despite being very close to the M62, one could hardly hear the motorway noise at all. Rooms comfortable, all the usual facilities. Breakfast was good, staff friendly. Good sized car park. Also had a restaurant but my budget very tight so couldn't afford a meal out or a drink at the bar.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the end of the extension - underneath staff suites, some noise.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank HelenaW306
Reviewed 27 April 2018

I'd like to start by saying I never leave hotel reviews but this one is so bad that I feel it necessary to warn anyone who's considering staying here.

Upon arrival - I couldn't fight the feeling of dread and despair when I cast my eyes on the dated and shabby exterior of The Birch. The dark black/dirty bricks are practically screaming "Demolish or condemn me".
I walked into the hotel reception after a long day on the road in the hopes of a quick check in and a half decent (clean) room to rest and recover. Unfortunately the overwhelming stench of stale cigarettes and cooking fat wiped away any prospect of this - "Perhaps the room will be okay" I thought... How wrong I was.

I was greeted by a friendly member of staff called Michael who (to be fair to him) tried his best to remember by name (he checked 5 times, just to be sure) and find me a suitable room.
"Number 28... This one isn't 'so bad' compared to some" he said. After ten to fifteen minutes spent hunting for the keys, he gave up and instead moved my room to room 27 - "Just next door."

So with an escalating feeling of dread I picked up my belongings and made my way to my allocated room, all the while my nose was twitching at the growing smell of more cooking fat and cigarettes. The decor in this place is a cross between a bad psychedelic trip mixed with dirty brown walls - it's worth noting that in each corner of the upstairs corridor was a cheap air freshener which did nothing to mask the smell other than to add an acrid chemical taste to the mix - just delightful.

I arrived at my room and upon stepping in (as if the smell couldn't get any worse) I was met by the worst odour yet - a rich stench of drainage/faeces coming from the bathroom and possibly the extractor fan (which was set to constantly on - a grating/droning sound which I can't imagine would have eased me into a comfortable slumber...) Looking around the room I saw two single beds (I'd asked for a double), lipstick smears on the mirrors, several damp/rotting patches on the ceiling and an exceptionally tired and peeling carpet.

After 20 minutes I'd reached breaking point and decided to ring Michael, who asked if I was ready to order my evening meal - unfortunately not just yet thanks. I explained that the odours and general poor condition of the room were making me feel unwell and I asked to switch rooms. Michael asked me to leave it with him and fifteen minutes later arrived at my room to inspect it. He agreed the smell was pretty horrific and asked for half an hour to find a suitable replacement.

I'd like to say my second (third?) room was a little better - and to be fair it was... sort of. I packed up my things and we set off to room 23 - Michael asked me to be as quiet as possible as they receive a fair number of people working on night shifts and therefore would still be sleeping at 6:00pm. We enter a secluded corridor and at the bottom (room 25) there was a sign which read "DO NOT DISTURB... EVER" - Lord only knows what happens in there!

We entered room 23 and thankfully this one was odour free, however the heating had been turned up to "apocalyptic inferno" mode and so I spent the rest of the night (trying to ignore the persistent noise of passing cars and lorries) with the window wide open to evacuate some/most of the heat. I'm still doubful as to whether the room had actually been cleaned as the bed was somewhat creased/messy and I found a couple of chocolate bar wrappers scattered on the floor - however I'd rather this than the stench of human excrement.

I'd say I managed a solid 2 hours sleep the whole night - partly due to the noise and heat, but more so due to the stiffness of the bed which left me itching for several hours into the next day.

My evening meal was okay (limited choice and quite fatty) - breakfast was better.

Needless to say I couldn't wait to leave and will never go anywhere near this place again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Birchhotel, Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Birch Hotel.

We are sorry to read that we have not met your expectations during your stay. We always appreciate guest’s feedback, and we do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused. Again, we apologise if we fell short in your expectations and again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

This is a basic hotel with all you need for a quick stopover.
Staff are friendly, bed is comfy and a clean room with large TV.
Freshly cooked breakfast.
Free parking.
Nice gardens
Couple of bars nearby if you wish to go out.
Would recommend if in the area.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Birchhotel, Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We sincerely appreciate feedback from guests and we always aim to ensure that our guests are entirely happy with their time here.

Thank you again, for the recommendation.