All reviews dance floor full english greater manchester function room plenty of parking home from home couldn't do enough would stay again breakfast was excellent lovely staff motorway venue
Reviewed 10 September 2016

The Birch was our 3rd try at a dog friendly hotel in Greater Manchester. Room was clean and big enough for the 2 of us and 1 very large Old English Sheepdog. The grounds are lovely. Lots of green space & a field of sheep next door. Definitely will make this our "go to "place. Very friendly staff and delicious breakfast included, The Birch Hotel is our favorite. The only negative was sluggish WiFi.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle C
TheBirchHotel, Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Hi,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We aim to please all guests with different needs including dogs as we welcome them in as part of your family. We do have specific rooms for pets also in order to refrain from anyone who may have an allergy from coming in contact.
The grounds are maintained and we like to present a nice walking space for all our guests.
I am sorry to hear about the WiFi and this I can assure you is not a regular occurrence so I can only apologize as the connection may have been a little slower than normal if there was a lot of connections at that time.
Thank you for the wonderful comments and I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

Myself and family stayed here in August for 2 nights, we chose the birch because we had stayed here many years ago and liked the place. We had 3 rooms and the rest of our party were generally pleased with theirs but on the first morning after showering we had an awful stench of sewage in the room. I reported to the front desk and they explained they had somebody coming out to look into a drain blockage and moved us to a new room. The staff were all very pleasant and the food at the hotel was great. During breakfast we noticed a leak coming through the dining room ceiling which had been covered with tape, right above our table. After we saw the 1st drip we quickly moved with our food to another table. We did tell the staff member and her reply was "oh ok"! I honestly feel you would get better value at a premier inn.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

hi,

Thankyou for your review. I am sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with our services however the situation with the leakage in the restaurant has now been resolved and we hope this problem will not reoccur.
We are so glad you enjoyed the food and I will pass the compliments on to the chef as we thrive to produce excellent standards of only the freshest ingredients made to order.
I am happy to hear the staff could help to efficiently resolve your problem with your room and make you comfortable for the remainder of your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon and that this has not deterred you from a future visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

The hotel rooms were clean although a bit small. Unless you are attending a function at this this hotel I can't see why you would stay there. It is in the middle of nowhere.The staff were very helpful and friendly. My father in law is disabled I thought the disabled access to the bedrooms could do with being improved. The breakfast was ok with good choice on the menu.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you wasn't satisfied with your stay. Firstly, we like to see our hotel as a relaxing getaway with no busy roads and noisy night life on our doorstep. A place where you can visit and and gain a peaceful and calming experience which we understand may not suit everybody.
I am happy to hear the staff were friendly as we like to provide excellent customer service.
We will take your review on board and discuss your suggestion regarding disabled access however we do tend to locate wheelchairs ect on the ground floor to make it easier to enter and exit.
Thankyou for your review and we hope to see you again soon even if it is without attending a function.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

We stayed here for 10 days found it a very nice and friendly place it was very quiet for end July beginning august but we were to busy to notice the Breakfast as mentioned in other reviews was and is indeed very good the room we had was very clean the cleaner very good and attentive we didn't eat there for evening meal so not able to comment on. The only thing we found very strange for a hotel is that on the only Sunday we were there , We found the reception /bar/public areas locked /closed at 1.30 on that Sunday afternoon (very strange) the setting is really very nice very relaxing but needs a large amount of work (my family being in the grounds maintenance business I know)the whole place needs a good coat of looking at as they say up north.keefypat.

Room Tip: I would think rooms at the rear of the building away from the trafic on the front.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
TheBirchHotel, Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2016

Hello,

Thankyou for your review! we are very happy you had a nice stay and found the hotel rooms cleans and comfortable. I am glad you enjoyed breaskfast I will pass compliments onto the chef. In regards to the coat of paint we are undergoing some refurbishments at the moment and will be working hard to make sure our hotel is to a good standard for our guests. This will be happening soon!

Thankyou

Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

I have reviewed this hotel before but after stopping here since january , 3 nights a week every week its time for a progress update .
Reading back through reviews over the last 8 months there are lots of comments from the hotel relating to it under going a refurbishment . I have stopped in many rooms here , and i have not seen any signs of a refurb .one room i stopped in had had a partial refurb ,however by refurb i mean it had new carpets and the furniture had been painted gloss brown .the bathroom was still vintage early nineties.
Everywhere else still looks the same .
As i stated in my last review the front staff are all lovely,no problems at all.
I dont eat at the hotel , but i did have breakfasts here when i first stopped and they were very good.credit where its due.
The pop up plug in the sink in room16 has been broken since my first visit .i have not mentioned it as i wanted to see how long it would take to get fixed . The cleaners must know about it daily as it doesnt empty. Its still broken.
3 or 4 weeks ago it was cold enough for the heating to come on, the radiator still needs bleeding as it did 5 or 6 months ago.
I have continued stopping here hoping to see an improvement because its a convenient location ,that has not materialised .Its fairly cheap to stop here so perhaps im asking too much ?
My company has / did have an account here but recently i had charges taken from my own account , which were refunded. A very short time later more money was taken from my account causing an overdraft charge of £22 . Again the payment was refunded but not the £22 as the manager was on holiday no one could approve the refund .REALLY ? FOR 22 QUID ????? I was asked if i had a bank statement presumably to quantify this huge amount ? I do not care that it was a temporary member of staff that caused the problem i care about the lack of haste by the hotel in rectifying the inconvenience and why was nobody with authority standing in for this manager ???
Im booked in to another hotel from now on and i will be checking my online banking very closely . I shall be expecting this refund to be resolved VERY soon. (The plug in room 16 probably not)

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank David B
TheBirchHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Dear David,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

We were pleased to hear that you found the staff at The Birch Hotel friendly and welcoming. We were also delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast during your stay.

We do take any comments and complaints from guests very seriously and would like to deal with your remarks in turn. The Birch Hotel has undergone refurbishment in a number of rooms over the last six months. This refurbishment is ongoing and all rooms are in planning to be refurbished. With regards to the continuing issue you had with the plug in the sink, this can only be addressed if we are aware of the problem. That issue has now been resolved after being brought to our attention. Finally, regarding the charges on your personal, rather than business account. It is to my understanding that a refund was processed, on both occasions, immediately without hesitation. Unfortunately, regardless of the amount, refunds can only be authorised by management on receipt of proof of costs incurred. We hope to resolve this matter for you soon.

Given the opportunity, we would like to welcome you back to The Birch Hotel soon.