“Great place to stay in the Lake District”
Wood burning stove - ahhhh It's the Kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Wood burning stove - ahhhh
It's the Kitchen
Living room from the bookcase
Living room from behind the television
Main Bedroom - my favourite anyway
Bedroom 2 - it's twins....beds
Chapel Stile - cows eye view
Chapel Stile - sheeps eye view
The Chapel of Chapel Stile fame
Chapel Stile - birds eye view
The Cottage from the middle of the road
Wood burning stove - not quite sure why I have 2 photos of the stove but it's better than none!
Floor Plan
The Games Room with brand new Pool table - just in case it rains!
Village shop - 50 yards away
Village shop welcomes novices!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Dad232
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great place to stay in the Lake District”
Reviewed 19 November 2015 for a stay in September 2015

The Old Postmasters Cottage is an awesome place to stay in the Lake District. Reasonably close to Ambleside and all that that has to offer. Lovely quiet village, well equip local store and great pub. We stayed as a family of five and the grandparents, and there was plenty of room for us all. The kitchen was well kitted out, and the place was clean and tidy. Warren was a lovely host, and was quick to sort out a couple of minor issues. We live in New Zealand so it is pretty hard for us to make regular visits, but if we could I would not hesitate to book this place again and again, did not disappoint. Thanks Warren.

22 Nov 2015
Many thanks for the review Mark and I trust you had a safe journey back to Kiwiland for your summer. Great to have guests who really appreciate the Lakes and try and get to see all the areas of interest. Having limited time motivates you to get to see as much as possible but us 'locals' are more relaxed - the result being we don't actually get to see certain areas! Anyway, Hardkott Fort is definitely on my list next time i get to spend a weekend there. Thanks again. Warren
Ruth699
Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage in lovely location”
Reviewed 22 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015

We travelled to the old postmasters cottage for my husbands birthday with his parents, brother and young children. Really nice house, very spacious bedrooms. Kitchen and living area are very homely . In the perfect Lake District location in heart of village. Really enjoyed our stay. Very good communication and information from the owner.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Lack of outdoor space
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Oct 2015
Thanks for the review Ruth - and belated many happy returns to you husband. Talking of returns, I do hope you come back next year! Have a warm winter.
Reid34210
Narbonne, France
“Excellent stay for 3 generations”
Reviewed 17 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015

This was a great place to celebrate my 60th birthday. The Wainwright pub at 150m was ideally located for 2 of our number who couldn't walk too far, whilst the hills around provided plenty of scope for those who were more active. Our chief cook found everything she needed in the kitchen and the shop at 100m provided the few essentials that had been forgotten along with a few local delicacies. Everyone was happy with their accommodation and 2 loos meant a sqabble free stay. It was so good that our son, who intended to leave on Sunday afternoon, stayed until Monday morning.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The country location
Liked least: Perhaps few more wine glasses for 7
Recommended for:
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
30 Oct 2015
Thanks for your kind words. Having the pub so near is very handy - I never have a problem getting there but somehow the walk back is always a little laboured after a night in there! And I'm glad you supported the local shop - it's very important to the village and it does have quite a few Cumbrian delicacies. Thanks again and hope to see you back for your 61st. W
Lizzy S
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
“Cosy house in idyllic setting”
Reviewed 20 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We had, to quote my daughter, 'the best holiday ever' this year, due in no small part to Warren's attention to detail in terms of facilities in the house and instructions on walks and activities etc.
The village of Chapel Stile is breathtaking and if you like sheep roaming around freely this is definitely the place for you - unless you have a badly trained dog (as we do) in which case keep it on the lead! The house felt immediately like home (but without the mess) and although there is not much outside space, you don't miss it as you have the beautiful lake district right on your doorstep.
Wainwrights pub (100 yards away)served such good food that I have to confess we never made it elsewhere for dinner but you can't book and it's popular with coach parties so go early to avoid disappointment. (you won't want to eat late anyway after a day's walking). A fab holiday. Thank you so much, Warren.

21 Sep 2015
Thank you very much for your review Liz. As well as giving others an idea of what to expect at my cottage, it's really great to hear guests have had a good holiday in the Langdale valley. I love the place...obviously... and have many happy memories of great weekends spent there with friends.

And the wandering sheep never fail to make me smile - I do hope that farmer never gets round to repairing his gate!

Thanks for the tip off on getting into Wainwrights Pub early - I only get to go there off season and it's a bit more laid back then. I guess in the middle of summer it's lot busier so good advice to get there early.

Thanks again.

Warren
timnalf
Arundel, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday in our cottage on the corner”
Reviewed 31 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We travelled as a large family group of six adults, plus a toddler & a labrador and the layout of the cottage was ideal for our needs. The kitchen was the best equipped I have seen in a holiday cottage and the lounge seated us all comfortably. The large kitchen table was great for playing board games in the evenings too! The local shop just across the way stocks just about everything. So good to be able to walk the dog easily straight from the door too. Friendly, helpful communications with the owner during the booking process & before arrival too - perfect - would definitely recommend.

Your age range 35-49
4 Sep 2015
Many thanks for you kind review. Good old fashioned board games on the kitchen table sounds my kind of evening...I now wonder why I've provided the Nintendo Wii in the games room!

I guess the other review (only 4 stars :( ) was from someone else in your party. Their points were valid and balanced and I have responded accordingly.

By the way, I do hope the returned doggie-damage-deposit was indeed spent on treats for Brodie - a well behaved dog deserves treats!

Hope to see you back next year.

W
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing