“what a disaster...evening spoiled!!!!!!”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Hurley
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Clean, warm, cosy, friendly, relaxing , set in the beautiful old village of Hurley. The village dates back to 700 ad and is recorded in the Domesday, the old church is still standing which was once the nave to the old Priory until 1536 when Henry Vlll dissolved the Monasteries. The River Thames is just 4 min walk from the Rising Sun. Built around 1830 the pub is a big favorite with walkers, ramblers, boating people alike. There is a fantastic caravan and camping site just down the road, which is among the top 5 sites in the UK for static, mobile and camping.We have a village shop, a church and a small B&B. The village is heaving in the summer months with tourists enjoying the camping and picnic areas right on the River Thames.Soft comfortable chairs and settees, log fire for the cold winter months. Home cooked and prepared traditional pub food plus specials, 4 ever changing real ales from local brewer's and a selection of lagers.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

on arriving at the pub it took the staff (who admittedly were working their 3rd shift) 20 minutes to get round to serving me. The delay being that they had absolutely NO idea how to use the till. I ordered two meals (both the same)off the specials board, 1 beer and 1 small dry white wine spritzer with soda. Good job I checked my order before paying, they had only placed 1 order for a meal, they also charged me for a small and a large spritzer. When I eventually got to sit down with my drink )my husband came to check he thought must have been locked in the loo.... this has happened to me in Turkey once) I had been served a wine spritzer with lemonade...dreadful, but having waited 20 minutes I didn't have the heart to return to the bar. The food arrived and I can only say it was disgraceful. \I have never had to demand a refund in any pub/restaurant before but I had to do so here. It is by far the worst service and the worst food in any eating establishment I have ever frequented. Please save your money and go elsewhere.

5  Thank 0chrissyh

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

This pub Is advertised at the lock we passed through on our hire boat, and was on our list of possible eating locations. It was a ten minute walk from our mooring along a local footpath. We had called ahead to book as it did get busy during our time there. The pub had some real charm to it with a lovely atmosphere. The menu was full and varied and reasonably priced. Plenty of seating inside as well a good sized rear garden. It was a very pleasant end to a relaxing day on the river

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 22 June 2018

There is a surprisingly widely drawn menu; and they were quite happy for us to have two starters followed by two more starters instead of a main dish. Their pâté and spicy chicken wings were good and their baked camembert was sensational.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Visited her on 2 consecutive weekends when visiting the area. The first time they couldn't have been more accommodating, even asking the chef to make a dish that only appears on the Sunday menu even though it was Friday and he obliged. Got me a lovely table away from some flies that had settled in a cloud for the evening and generally very helpful indeed. The second weekend I took my mother who is obviously more mature, likes a quiet meal out and some basic good manners afforded her by the place we choose to patronize. From the start, we waited forever at the bar to even be acknowledged and in that time a very drunk and rowdy chap at the bar thought it suitable to ask my mother if she thought the bar man had large private parts because he was so tall! This was after enduring their foul mouthed trivialities for the best part of 8 minutes or so. A life time when next to these sort of drunken, loutish, hooligans. I invited mum to go and sit in the garden well away from such rudeness and downright disgusting behavior to anyone but especially not an elderly lady, and he then promptly knocked a point of lager all over his supposed girlfriend who was equally as inebriated, foul mouthed and disgusting and the bar staff did absolutely nothing to try and sort the situation out. No apologies to anyone, no attempt to calm the offenders down at all, took 10 minutes to clear the spillage up off the floor and all round pathetic service. A lady who had invited me to go and stand with her on the opposing arm of the bar advised me that they are locals and behave like this in there regularly. Not somewhere I would ever return to, or take young children to, when you can eat and drink with civility 100 yards up the road. Avoid unless you like potty mouthed, rude, drunken locals and management who don't give a stuff.

6  Thank Melandmuffy
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Had a great time at the rising sun pub in hurley great staff and great atmosphere food great as well will definitely be going back there

1  Thank Susan I