“Wonderful Retreat”

El Sabanero Eco Lodge
Reviewed 3 September 2017

El Sabanero lived up to its great reviews. Everyone who worked there was warm, welcoming, interesting and talented. The lodge provided the perfect balance between community and solitude. I'm not very practiced with yoga, but the two classes a day got me hooked and helped me gain confidence with some postures that I always found difficult. Hector Moreno and Sabine Wienerroither were both wonderful teachers. They each had their own very different style, but each challenged me in the best way, all while offering wonderful insights, wisdom and motivation. Beyond the yoga instruction, I really enjoyed them as people too. Hector took my group on an incredible sunrise meditation walk through the jungle where we saw lots of birds, butterflies and howler monkeys. Sabine always offered a philosophical perspective on life that was interesting and thought provoking. She was great company. The food Donald and Hazel cooked was amazing and tasty and well thought-out. One night was Indian themed, one night Middle Eastern, one night Italian (etc) -- so beautifully and thoughtfully prepared and simply delicious. Kort was a wonderful host, and took me to various nearby beaches. The accommodations were simple, and no frills but I liked them. There could be better water pressure in the cabins, and hot water took a while to kick in, but it is an eco lodge and this is a minor complaint. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Loved Cabin 7. Also heard Cabin 8 is nice.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I had an amazing, adventurous, and life changing experience at El Sabanero. I was warmly welcomed by owners Harold and Kurt from the moment I arrived. Hazel and Donald made the most delicious meals everyday and went out of their way to ensure all guests were well taken care of. They even accommodated me being a vegan. So very appreciated! Sabine and Hector were two of the most caring authentic yoga teachers I have ever met. Both such beautiful souls. I truly enjoyed their classes and talks. The most memorable experience for me was being surrounded by like-minded people in a supportive, relaxed, and loving environment. I didn't want to leave! I left with an open heart and new friends for life:)

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I felt very welcomed by yoga teacher and assitant manager Sabine in my first stay in Costa Rica. Donald is the most amazing chef and his dishes are exceptional, what talent! He will accomodate any dietary restrictions and is very helpful, just ask. Hector is an amazing yoga instructor, he and his lovely wife also helped me to learn the bus and taxi system and taught me about the Costa Rican currency, and how not to get ripped off. Thank you Sabine and Hector, my time spent with you was sacred and I learned what I needed to, and I am returning back to my vocation stronger. Thank you Donald and Harold and staff, El Sabenero is a welcoming place, to visitors and animals alike! Loved having coffee with the howler monkeys one blessed morning. Namaste and All of God's Love, Liz

Reviewed 4 August 2017

The entire staff, and facility at El Sabanero was amazing. We were a small group of girls from all over the US and loved our stay there. Harold was so kind to pick us up from the airport. Donald and Hazel have the MOST AMAZING cooking skills ever. I enjoyed and looked forward to every single meal. Sabine and Hector are both skilled, and amazing in their yoga teachings.. they ask you to challenge yourself and push yourself beyond your comfort zone. Coyo kept us all safe at night!! The entire place was a tropical getaway that was very much needed - from the amazing staff, to the monkeys howling through your yoga practices :) an amazing overall. THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2017

This was our second yoga retreat. I was not a happy with my first yoga retreat experience so this was a make-or-break kind of situation as to whether I'd ever try one again. I'm ready to book another in six months because I loved every minute of this experience. The setting is gorgeous. The staff is incredibly warm and welcoming. And I will probably dream about the food for years to come. Oh, and the yoga was a wonderful blend of challenging and restorative. The teachers were so gifted they were able to personalize the experience for each of us in the class.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
8.8 km away
Hotel Arco Iris
Hotel Arco Iris
#6 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to El Sabanero Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!