“A wonderful resort with fantastic staff”

El Sabanero Eco Lodge
Reviewed 10 February 2016

I brought a group of 20 or so people to El Sabanero Eco Lodge in November/December of 2015 for a yoga teacher training program. We were all absolutely delighted with the venue, it is stunningly beautiful with lovely chalets, a beautiful pool, a choice of yoga shalas, gorgeous views, great chefs and staff and is run by the very lovely Harold & Kurt who could not do enough for us. We were so well looked after and had such a fantastic time here I have rebooked for 3 more trainings. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2015
1  Thank Emma W

Reviewed 3 February 2016

I had a fantastic time staying at El Sabanero Eco Lodge. I did a yoga teacher training with about 20 people, and I stayed for one month. You can also stay here without a group, and enjoy the luxurious facilities, explore the beautiful area, and get to know the lovely staff on your own. The owners are so sweet and accommodating. One of them, Harold even drove me to the doctor and pharmacy one day. So kind!

The chef's, Donald and Hazel put so much love and care into the food they made for us every day and night. They were so sweet and made such an effort to be friendly, accommodating to our needs, personal, and warm. The food they make is incredibly delicious, fresh, AND healthy! Such a treat to eat such tasty-healthy food by such kind and warm people for an entire month. I felt so nourished.

The facilities are fantastically well-kept by 2 wonderful women who also made us breakfast every morning of fresh local fruit, eggs, rice and beans and delicious coffee.

There is a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking a stunning view, which you can swim in or lounge around all day long in that magnificent sun.

El Sabanero is a quick bus ride or car ride away from Tamarindo, where there is plenty of restaurants, shopping, and surfing, which I totally recommend! Our group took a surfing lesson and it was a blast!

I would absolutely recommend El Sabanero Eco Lodge to anyone who is traveling to this area. It is a beautiful, hidden gem, and it feels great to support such a wonderful community of people who work there.

<3 Natalie

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went there in order to go to the beach!, the food is awesome, the room was really nice. The location is great, near of the best beaches of Guanacaste and really quiet. The staff is really nice and very helpful.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francisco G
Reviewed 13 January 2016

So, I've been to El Sabanero multiple times and every time has been a little different. All of my stays have been great and affordable. This most recent visit, I had a big surprise as a member of the staff, Donald, had returned after being gone for a while. Donald is part of the heart and soul of El Sabanero. He has also stepped up his chef skills in a big way. I had some of the best meals I have had in Costa Rica, right there at the resort. The meals were not only of a very high quality, but very affordable compared to the prices in near by Tamarindo. This place keeps getting better with service, food, and amenities. They are also starting to upgrade the rooms and bathrooms as well. It is nice to see them continuing to reinvest in the facility to make it better and better.

The other recent addition was the Yoga Pavilion. They now have
BOTH indoor and outdoor facilities for Yoga, which I thought was very nice. If you are in the market for trying to organize a Yoga training or retreat of some sort, look no further than El Sabanero.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 12 January 2016

We were booked into lodge 8 and it was perfect for our family of four, as we had requested extra beds for our kids, aged 12 and 17. The setting is very chill and relaxed, which was what we were looking for. Since both my wife and I travel the world as part of our business, usually staying at top end properties, when it came to this vacation we were looking for quality without fuss, and a true Costa Rican experience. El Sabanero delivered exactly that for us. A real highlight of our stay was having Chef Donaldo and his partner Hazel taking care of our meals. We ate most of our dinners there and all of the meals were excellent and thoughtfully prepared and using local quality products. Each day they discussed what we wanted to eat for dinner and then went out and sourced the product and created memorable meals both for my wife and I and for our kids. We experienced a great range of foods and they were all great. It was like having your own personal chefs. These two are wonderful people and became friends during our stay. I highly recommend staying at El Sabanero if you are looking for a personal experience, a relaxing experience, a non-fussy experience and a true Costa Rican experience. Super central and good roads. Beaches are all within 20-30 minutes. Congratulations to the owners and to Donaldo and Hazel. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
8.8 km away
Hotel Arco Iris
Hotel Arco Iris
#6 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to El Sabanero Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!