All reviews cuscus stayed here for nights public boat rooms are clean dive master fans guitar accommodation equipment island bungalow resort spots vegetarian electricity reef snorkel
Reviewed 24 March 2018

We travelled in March to this amazing place. It was phenomenal. The food was delicious and there was so much of it. Marca and Beci were able to cater for us as we are vegetarian. I wanted to take them home with us. Our rooms were lovely. We loved having the hammocks on the verandas to lounge in. As for the diving..lived up to all our expectations. We were well looked after with at least 1-2 guides to three of us on each dive. Diver safety was perfect.Son and Tamrin were wonderful. There were dive briefings before each dive and we were looked after in and out of the water. There were so many first sightings for us on the dives. All were different. Our breath was blown away by Sachiko and Siladen with the coral covered walls. We did muck dives ,night dives and mandarin dives. Mind blowing!! Equipment was rinsed in freshwater NOT saltwater as was stated in another review. We were very happy with the care shown. All the staff were a delight to be with and made our stay very enjoyable.We were even treated to a birthday celebration for one of our party and a going away evening where everyone sang songs accompanied by a guitar and a string bass. It was superb. Tragically a pod of orcas came in whilst we were there and killed one of the resident mola molas. We hope that the other one is safe.

We loved our stay so much that we hope to return one day. Terima kasih to all!

Room Tip: All cabins are good
Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank sapphirephoenix
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I have spent the last 3 days at Bunaken Kuskus Resort and highly recommend the place for experienced divers. The location is lovely, the food delicious and the staff is very friendly. However, the prices of the dives are cheap but the gear (BCD, regulator, wet suits) is old and not always safe, mostly when you dive in strong currents. And the currents can be very strong in Bunaken. If you are not enough experienced, move to a more professional shop. Safety first! Or ask for a proper brief before the dive - currents, dive plan - and double check your gear before leaving the shop.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Anitacarpentier
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights with my gf and I can yell you it was very Nice. The staff is really helpfull and the diving is amazing too. The rooms are clean, but small With fans. The breakfast is nothing special, But views are amazing. The only bad thing is the rubbish in the ocean (it doesnt matter where you stay its everywhere). We decided to collect Some of it and made a short video with the owner and sent it to the government of Manado.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mathijs v
Reviewed 15 July 2017

This was by far the worst hotel/resort I've stayed at in Indonessia. Period. I left one night into a 5 night booking to stay at a homestay elsewhere on the island.

The staff were friendly when I arrived, but that ceased as soon as I had checked in. My room had no ventilation with 2 out of 3 windows that did not open. For a place where blackouts often happen (which is not a problem as it's to be expected), this is a must. When I asked the staff (in Indonesian) to help fix one of the windows, they gave it a half-hearted try then walked off. Otherwise, they generally seemed to ignore the guests when possible.

Otherwise, the room was fine, as was the quality ofsleep. The bathroom was quite dirty and jury-rigged. The water at the property was brackish, which is not good for metal dive equipment or neoprene, which must be washed in fresh water to prevent corrosion. They might say that all the water on the island is salty, but having stayed elsewhere on Bunaken, I know that's false and they're just too cheap to dig a new well.

The food, usually quite good at most placed in Indonesia, was truly terrible at this property. Dinner the night I arrived was half-cooked chicken(?) nuggets and low-quality bakso meatballs in a pre-packaged red sauce. Coupled with cold nasi goreng the next morning, the food alone made me want to leave. The fact that they justified the high cancellation fee with the cost of buying food for guests was kind of insulting.

My main reason for coming to Bunaken is diving. After taking a look at the compressor and gear (even though I was bringing my own), I was uncomfortable enough that I didn't feel comfortable diving. This was confirmed by locals on the island who didn't have good things to say about the maintenance or equipment.

Finally, I'm pretty aure the 50 percent cancellation fee exists because people leave so often. I left after one night, as did the other couple staying there. Later, I met another group of 4 that left early after having a similarly terrible experience. Frankly, the place is so awful that, to a lot of people, it seems like a better approach to eat the high cancellation fee and go elsewhere. Simply put, this place is so bad it borders on a scam and you should avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you are looking for a budget room or diving experience, stay and dive elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Izaak E
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Stayed here for almost a week. Clean cottages with mosquito net over the bed. Had amazing food 3 times a day. Different dishes, local food, fresh fish but also fries and no meal was the same. Kuskus made our stay in Bunaken extra special due to the very nice local staff and especially dive master Dady. This resort is one of the view locally owned and we think it is very important to support them. Had an amazing time. Also nice diving. Only tip would be to place some more hammocks and chilling spots close to the beach. Would recommend this place to everyone visiting Bunaken.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple