See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 July 2016

I stay athe the homeikan hotel unfortunatley only one night for a work trip in Japan, but the hotel is super clean, very confortable and the owners can speack english. Moreover, it is located in a very nice area. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2016

This is a very traditional RYOKAN. Shared bath and toilet, Shoes deposited in the foyer, room does not have beds, water, storage, seating, etc.
But it is a great way to experience Tokyo. My family shared the room ( 4 people ) and worked perfectly. Staff was attentative, helpful and very friendly.
Tokyo is a very big city - location matters and in my opinion this was a bit off center.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2016

Wonderful ryokan--our group met Japanese high school kids about to sit their big university exams and a happy group from Denmark. Great traditional rooms-tatami, super baths. Hotel people were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: January 2016
1  Thank koji6915
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here with a group of students. This inn was good for the group situation. They provided a nice breakfast for us downstairs each morning. The rooms were very traditional and nice with comfortable beds and excellent AC. The toilets were very cramped…not much leg room for us taller Americans. The communal bathtub was nice, but the changing room was a little gross with old carpets and moldy ceilings. The location was great, quiet and pretty convenient. My biggest complaint was the smokiness of the inn. The smoke originated from the first floor, and I'm not sure if it was the people who worked there or guests, but it was quite overwhelming and noticeable even when we stepped out of rooms on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank kelli s
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I've stayed in both the Homeikan and the Homeikan Morikawa bekkan multiple times. I love the quiet neighborhood near Univ. of Tokyo away from traffic noises. Both establishments are old, in the style of the 1950s or 60s, though with heat, air con, TVs, etc. Shared toilets, sinks, and bathing areas, but quite restful and far preferable to cramped business hotels. Nice buffet breakfast can be purchased at a hotel just down the street, either Western or Japanese style.
I am, however, always puzzled by the odd standoffishness of the staff. They are helpful enough but not particularly friendly, compared to other establishments. I have always found this curious, though I will stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo