All reviews tokyo university straw mats men women japanese hospitality tatami subway station foreigners onsen
Reviewed 9 September 2017

I was a foreign graduate student studying in Tokyo University.
I booked this hotel for my family to attend graduation ceremony.
It is obvious that this hotel will separate foreigners and Japanese into two types of rooms. Rooms for foreigners are cold, shabby, dirty, while rooms for japanese is clean and tidy.

Be careful if you are thinking about booking this hotel. You'd better use a Japanese surname to book it or you'll find yourself be treated badly.

Shame on you.

Room tip: use a japanese surname and pretend that you are a japanese
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Viviansheen
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Terrible attitude. Very rude. They speak ill of customers in Japanese. We had a trouble and it was their fault, totally, but they never apologized. It was a nightmare.

I also didn't like the dinner they offered. Sashimi tasted like water. It was defrosted like few hours ago and left behind.
I also didn't like bathrooms as well.
They said it's traditional but for me it's outdated, stubborn and just too old.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Footprints810839
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Spent the night here, after being recommended by a tour website.

The building is a designated historic monument, which means that refurbishing and renovating the building is extremely difficult, due to strict building laws. Yes, the floors are creaky, and if you happen to have a pack of boisterous high school girls spending the night above you, you will hear the creaks throughout the night. Like many old Japanese houses, it is frigid cold inside, but the rooms have heavy blankets prepared. Toilets are communal, and if you're weary of communal (gender separated) bathhouses, this may not be for you. Also, this place is extremely tricky to find, about 10 minute walk from Kasuga station on the metro, with a huge hill to climb, so if you have luggage, grab a cab to avoid breaking a sweat.

But there is a quiet charm in this old school Ryokan, the staff are friendly and willing to help you out. Feel free to ask for recommendations. If you're looking for a retreat from the hustle bustle of the city without leaving it, this place is for you. You'll feel the interesting juxtaposition between the modern flat panel TV and wifi, along with the beautiful garden outside and the flimsy security lock. Lock your valuables in the safe if this concerns you.

Will definitely come again.

Date of stay: January 2017
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Where should I start? We stayed there over the new year. There were pros and cons of this place.

But before I start, some photos on this TripAdvisor page here are not main original Homeikan, they are the Homeikan Annex (there are 2 annexes, one is further away, one is closed to the main). The main Homeikan does not have a garden.

So, the pros:
First was the staff, their service were amazing, very friendly and helpful in general. We got off the bus and tried to find the main Homeikan. We saw the annex and we just went in anyway and see if they could show us the direction to the main one. The lady said they could drive us there, even we insisted to walk. Then she found out the company car wasn't around, then she said she would walk us. But eventually the car came back and we went there by car.

When we got there, the staff seemed to know who we were already, and took our luggage to our room within minutes.

The cos:
The ryokan needed some TLC. Despite the fact that Homeikan is historical, it still needs maintenance (I'm afraid not just let it be). Especially the toilets (using duck tape might not the best solution). Some glue around the taps are so old, the taps aren't attached to the wall.

Health and safety, there was an old gas heater in the room, and the old gas pipe coming out from the floor next to the old sockets. Hmm...

A little observation I had when we were checking out. We were moving our luggage to the main entrance then going to settle the payment. The lady on the desk was asking, "The room key, the room key..." (We were not going to escape...) After we handed in the key, "This is your bill!" (Hmmm... ok) I know she wasn't being mean, it was just a bit "rush".

While settling the payment, I was having a slight luggage malfunction and trying to fix it. Silly me I didn't realise I was still wearing the slippers! But then I noticed and put on my shoes instead (It was less than a minute, I swear!). I saw the man behind the counter was staring and I apologised.

He came out and took the slippers away (probably go clean them, as they touched the ground). We appreciated all the "attention to detail". But at the same time, we thought the place needed quite a bit of maintenance that they didn't pay attention to.

Just some tip for fellow travelers, this place is freezing during winter (inside the room is ok), but the rest is very cold during winter, including the shower/bath.

The other thing is, the walls are paper thin in a traditional Japanese house. It only takes a couple of inconsiderate guests to make it really noisy. Unluckily the first night our next door neighbours were talking until late and smoking in the morning. It wasn't pleasant. Then they moved out the next day and 4 other ladies moved in, they were having a new year party. TV on high volume, sing along, shouting, laughing until forever.

So if you are flying from another time zone, beware of that. You'll have to fight the jet lag and the noise (if you have bad neighbours).

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank KA_LND
Reviewed 31 October 2016

My experience here was wonderful! The rooms were beautiful and relatively large when compared to conventional hotel rooms. The staff are friendly, and the provided food was great. The atmosphere was just awesome and I will definitely stay here again in the future.

Date of stay: October 2016