All reviews san juan the bus jose antonio brush up on your spanish popular with locals phrase book cafe bar speak a little spanish nice hotel reception staff ticket machine fabulous beach good size side sea view bars restaurants walking distance to the beach end of june
Reviewed 13 July 2015

The first thing I have to say about the Hotel Castilla is about the amazing staff. From the moment we arrived and throughout our stay, they were all pleasant, courteous and friendly, in a genuine but understated way. The reception staff speak excellent English and make the effort to be as helpful as possible. It is a Spanish hotel catering mainly (but not exclusively) for Spanish visitors, which we loved. So don't choose this hotel if you like what a typical 'British' Benidorm hotel has to offer because you'll be disappointed. The rooms were spacious and clean, we had a huge balcony with an inland view and sea glimpse. It was very quiet except for the air-con, but it did its job in keeping us cool. Breakfast was included in our deal and there was a great choice, we had scrambled eggs and bacon most mornings, which was good.The hotel is very close to the fabulous beach and the bus and tram system. A trip on the tram is a must and is really easy to use. We went to Benidorm one day, the coastal views were spectacular and to Alicante on another, well worth the visit. There are lots of cafe's and shops nearby. The only two small niggles we had were the beds were too hard for us and watch the slippery bath when taking a shower, there is a handrail but no bath mat. All in all, we had a great holiday and will return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter, request in advance by email.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JaceyGee
Reviewed 6 July 2015

I recommend this hotel because its location very close to the beach (5 min) and from other means of transport that can take you to the city of Alicante.
Like other hotels in Spain, the wifi connection is very bad an you only get password and user name for 3 days in a row.
We went in June and the hotel and the entire Playa de San Juan area were 80 percent full of old people.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jagop
Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

The hotel is situated right beside the beach in a quiet little village close to Alicante. The rooms are very clean and the wifi works good enough in all the structure. Breakfast is not included and should be payed apart, but many cafè are around the hotel at cheap price. Not suggested for a visit of Alicante buy in a perfect position to enjoy the beach.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Rysiko
Reviewed 26 May 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights recently, room was basic but a nice size and very clean, we had a balcony with a view of the pool and the beach. Hotel is situated within 2 min walk of a lovely beach. Staff are very friendly and helpful, we'd booked bed and breakfast and the continental buffet breakfast was a nice start to the day without being ground breaking. The hotel is a little out of the centre of Alicante so was fairly quiet in the evenings but plenty of cafes, shops, restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. The centre of Alicante is about a 15 euro taxi ride away. Would definitely come back.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichL3
Reviewed 10 May 2015

Hotel Castilla Alicante, to book a room:
For those wanting to know how to book it, this is how it went for me and it was painless. First I sent an email inquiring the room and when they replied with availability, they asked my credit card details so they can charge 25% of the total amount to confirm the booking. As I did not want to send anything via internet, I gave the details by phone and they did the charging of 25% on my credit card while we were still on the phone (!) and by then they confirmed the booking and confirmation was also sent by email. Upon arrival, they checked your passport and signature thoroughly before giving you the room. I am impressed with their tight and securely procedure and I must say it was like that everywhere I went in Spain.
Email address and phone nr can be found on their website.

How to get there from the airport:
Bus C6 from the airport to centrum (4 Euro) and then walk to bus stop 21/22 to hotel (1.50 Euro). There was no direction at the bus station as how to get there so you have to ask around and so it is good if you can speak a little Spanish. Remember, it was quite a distance to walk from the bus station C6 to the bus stops 21/22 so it maybe good to consider taking a taxi instead. It took me close to 1½ hours to get to the hotel by bus 2x. I thought it was not worth the money and time, considering I landed at around 8 pm. Also, it is good to remember that the bus will only come after 30 minutes if you miss it and it adds to waiting time before getting to the bus. I arrived on Saturday evening (bad time) and the bus went through all the shopping shop stops so it made my journey to the hotel extra long. I was lucky the bus driver remembered my bus stop for the hotel (Costa Blanca Paises Escandinavos) he indeed made the stop and signal me to get off, so you need to communicate where your stop is when buying the ticket. The tickets for these trips can be bought on the bus. The information provided by the hotel for this purpose I found a little incomplete. Therefore I thought it was useful for new guests to note of this little inconvenience issue to avoid long delay on your first day after the flight. Although it may be incomplete, there are plenty of these bus / trams information available on the internet. Instead of taking the bus, you might be able to get there by tram (tram stop Londres) but I had no info at the time as taking the bus was most recommended.

Getting back from the hotel to the airport
Reviews suggests to order a taxi from the hotel for the airport, so I did, and it was a different rate for the weekend, it must be the highest on the list, 38 Euro, but I was at the airport within 20 minutes!!! And not as exhausted as when I arrived.

Hotel room
While I agree with most of already mentioned by other reviewers and have nothing more to add except indeed I can stress the preference for a coffee/tea making facilities in the room (I don’t care about hair dryer) and TV channels should be more variable to suit non Spanish speaking guests. Note that you can go to the BBC World channel is your follow the instruction on the card provided in the room. I could not follow it properly, so I requested help from the reception and (the technicians were there only on working days but when they were around,) they solved it satisfactorily. English speaking channel is only 1 and I was rather annoyed as BBC World is not the channel I fancy having all the time. On the other hand, using Spanish channel is good to make yourself aware that you are in Spain!

Assessments of surrounding
Playa San Juan:
Playa San Juan is close by, really convenient and clean, no dogs allowed at the beach according to the notice board, although I saw one or two taking it anyway. Sand on the beach and boulevard along the playa are made clean every morning. Boulevard is long and pleasant, really impressive.

Things:
Tram 4 stop (Londres) is close to the hotel but if you want to go to Benidorm, centrum or other direction, you need to change. I took tram nr 3 (stops are a little walk further named Costa Blanca or Carrabiners) to its last stop and had coffee or breakfast there. There was a nice coffee shop across the last stop of tram 3, friendly and mostly filled with local people. Tram tickets can be bought inside the tram, there is a machine in each tram (I learned to use it from other passenger as it is in Spanish). If you are keen on travelling on public transport, there is a possibility to buy a 10-trips ticket (8.70 Euro) but add 2 Euro to it for the card so for 10.70 for 10 trips is not bad while each ride is 1.45, not much to save actually if you are there only for a short period of time and bought it after you arrive at the hotel (like me), I bought in a counter at a big station but learned afterwards that you can buy it also from machines, available at that station (same price and also in English). I had 2 trips left on my card before leaving so I gave it to someone local so it can be used further and the card can be used continuously if it is topped up. I did have breakfast at the McDonald near the beach and had a good view like mentioned here, but I rather go elsewhere as the coffee etc are not as nice as in the local coffee shops with real coffee and real food. Same goes with burger restaurant close to the hotel (BG?), it tasted fake! The good news is that I found a nice little restaurant called Restaurante Oriental Fu, on Avda Bruselas (just one block behind the hotel) which became my favourite food and there was indeed a 24H small supermarket situated a little distance from the hotel, called Supervebaja 24 horas. Area surrounding the hotel was fantastic, it felt save and pleasant.

Bicyle rent:
I was recommended by the hotel a bicycle rent shop in El Compello, last tram 3 stop (walking distance) called Ochoa bikes, so I went to check where I found a nice little shop but really professional with serious appearance and with lots of bikes on the spot but none for me at the time so I went back the next day (note their opening times). The rent (chain provided) is for 24 hours, meaning you can keep the bike overnight if you start during midday which is fine with me and can keep it inside the hotel as they are in good terms with each other. They also provide bicycle-transfer to and from the hotel if you prefer (extra charge). Also note: they require and prepare a contract document to sign and keep a photocopy of your passport with no deposit for the bike.

Room Tip: higher floor and corner room
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
11  Thank sienT
ana s, Director Comercial at Hotel Castilla Alicante, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2015

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comments. Your Opinion is very important to us and for the rest of our guests, because you explain very well the means of transportation nearby, among other things. We take note of your suggestion about the taxi service and we will offer it to our guests to make their arrival easier.

Looking forward to having you again at our Hotel soon!
Thank you for choosing us.

Best Regards.