Horseback Africa
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslion walkmacrae familyhorse ridinglion cubsunforgettable experiencewild animalslions roarexperienced ridersmoment you arriveblue trailtrained horsesmind blowingyoung lionsguinea pigslions tourfamily runamazing creatures
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We spent two two days communing with lions, including 1.5 months, 4 month, 8 month and full grown, and a horseback safari second to none in pre-ride preparation and quality of the horses.
The lion breeding activity of the farm was very well explained including lion life history and how and why the farm was breeding lions for ultimate release into the wild. We had time to cuddle and feed a 1.5 month old cub, walk with the adolescents in an open field, and see and hear the full grown lions roar day and night. You will never have a better lion experience.
The horses are left to free range on the 380 ha estate all day, except for when they are being ridden. The quality of the horses is excellent and well above the standard for short term rentals. They are very well trained and can accommodate a range of rider experience levels. The most amazing thing about the horse safari was the quality and comprehensiveness of the pre-ride briefing. We had a few inexperienced riders in our group and they were given clear and useful information and the right horse that made the whole experience a real pleasure. So much better than the typical horse rental place that just gives you a horse and says go. Walking with the horses among wildebeest and giraffe was delightful.
Everything about this place is welcoming, friendly, and competent. You will love it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert C
Colin M, Owner at Horseback Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

This is what we stand for - people need to leave here having had the time of their lives. We so enjoy what we do because we get such a kick out of the responses. We make a difference in people's lives, and that gives us purpose. Thank you!

Reviewed 29 November 2017

All for profit. I severely injured myself here and as soon as I did, they were awful. Completely nasty, refused to refund me, refused to respond to my emails. Guide was not prepared to medically assist.

From the start, I arrived and had a really bad feeling. There was something shady and fake. Research further and you will see they are involved in Canned Hunting. Check out their facebook page and how they evade questions.

Additionally, safety is NOT a priority. They have beginners on young inexperienced horses and do not have safety precautions in place at all. I suffered a life threatening injury here which could have been avoided and they just didn't care at all.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Oh how sad! It grieves us when Connie, our highly skilled safari leader, put so much effort into teaching and assisting you in every way, and then this happens! Maybe you did not completely understand the safety briefing. Even though we put you onto one of our trusted “School Master” horses, you fell off whilst the horse was in a walk. The horse was so un-nerved that she turned around and came to check if you were alright. This made you even more frightened. Without you requesting it, we did refund you for half of the tour (the afternoon Lion Tour program which unfortunately you could not attend). You make a public statement saying that we are “involved in Canned Hunting”. Colin’s Horseback Africa strongly disapproves of any form of canned hunting and keenly disassociates itself from this highly unethical practice. This practice is decisively against the law in South Africa and if you have any evidence of this happening, you should immediately report this to the relevant authority. We would advise you not to cite trash or interpret FAKE NEWS based on no evidence whatsoever. Sorry about our Facebook site, we are so involved in our conservation programs that we do not have time for Facebook!! I stand under correction, but I think our last entry was at least over one year ago !!
We love nature so much, that we don’t have time to sit behind a computer all day. Now that you are safely back in America we wish you a rapid recovery from your “life threatening injury”.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 November 2017

We have been doing many rides around the world. This is one of the best we have done. Lots of wild animals and very good information and security. The lodge is not a fancy one but have a very nice family atmosphere, nice food and very nice people working there.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Colin M, Owner at Horseback Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

It is our dream to have people with us who ride all over the world. We can share experiences and ideas and learn from people like you. Every day we realize how privileged we are to enjoy our life in this way.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Staff is super friendly, and bend over backwards to accommodate all requests. Food is out of this world and more than I could eat. I asked for extra days on horseback and rode in new scenery making it "just like my childhood days". Exploring, having fun on great horses. The Lion Walk was supurb, super informative, and lots of fun. I plan a 2nd trip to them as soon as I can organize it next year.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

When you come again, we can try different routes and have even more fun!!

Reviewed 22 October 2017

OH WOW!!! I am still pinching myself regarding this experience! I will always celebrate October 14th as the day I was able to be cuddled and loved by 3 three month old lion cubs and a 2 week old!!! Wynand (sorry if I misspelled)told me he had a special surprise and he could not have know beforehand JUST how SPECIAL this was to me. I'm the "mother of cats" in my opinion and I was thrilled and overjoyed walking with the teenage lions and each BRAND new and dream-like experience of Walking With Lions, etc!!!!! Oh, and the meerkats were so funny and entertaining!
Horseback riding to see the beautiful land and the funny and elegant giraffes along with the zebras and other wild life was another GREAT experience. No better way to see the animals up close.
The accommodations, where I was able to hear the lions roar as I was going to bed, and the gorgeous grounds, ALONG with the yummy dinner, breakfast and lunch all exceeding our expectations.
We even got to hold a snake!!!
The owners and Each member of the family/staff were such wonderful people and made our weekend the best part of our trip to South Africa!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

YES, there are many people who say that this was the best part of their trip in South Africa. This makes us SO HAPPY. Thank you, thank you for just being here!!