“What an amazing experience!”
Review of Horseback Africa

Horseback Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Hard to put this into words. Did the walk with the lion tour and was so blown away, did it again the next day! The staff were fantastic. Matt was superb in answering all of our questions about the lions and their release program. Theory and Colin were such wear hosts. Great chats around the fire at night after a terrific dinner. I will return!

Room Tip: From what we could see, all rooms were similar, yet comfy
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
781guestl, Owner at Horseback Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2017

Dear Terry, It was OUR pleasure to have you with us. WE look forward to having you here again as soon as you can! It was wonderful talking about our passions, and you will be going back to your after the mini-break with us.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

We had a wonderful stay, best service, excellent meals (we are vegetarians!!!)!!
The horse ride was perfect, we saw a lot of animals...it was a safe adventure!
Also the lion tour was just great, Matt and Colin explained everything we wanted to know and now we can trust that all the lions are safe when they are released to the wilderness!!
Thank you so much for this precious holiday!!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
781guestl, Owner at Horseback Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Your review means a lot to us. It tells us that we are meeting your expectations. Thank you for visiting us!

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Hi Tanya

I just recently returned back home to Australia after an amazing trip to Johannesburg. The high light of my trip was visiting Colin's Horseback Africa.

I would like to give special thanks to yourself, Shannon, Matt, Brandon and Colin on making my visit there a special one.

From the moment my group arrived you made us feel welcome. I was so impressed with your genuine care for each visitor and your passion of conservation.

I was nervous to get back on a horse after being thrown from one last year. Your safety briefing at the start alone before we even got on a horse impressed me so much. I have never seen this before on any day trip I have had at any other horse school I have previously attended. Throughout the ride Colin himself as well as co leaders stayed close to me and continually checked I was ok until the point I was so relaxed to be back on a horse I comfortably did a rising Trot again. This time last year I thought I would never get back on. So I thank you just for this.

The walking with lions tour was an even bigger highlight. Matt was unbelievably informative and even though he mentioned he was feeling unwell at the start of the tour he gave us what still felt 100%. We were all jet lagged from our flight from Australia but I can't believe how much information I retained due to his great delivery of information of your conservation program.

On a deeper more personal level I would like to give a special thank you, as the day I came to visit was special occasion for me. It would have been my grandmothers 82nd birthday and my daughters 4th birthday. As you can imagine not being in the same country as my daughter was difficult in itself but I was in the birth place of my grandmother who sadly passed away. It couldn't have been a more perfect place to celebrate the occasion than being there. Helped by the generous complementary sherry at the end of the tour with my group to toast the occasion. I will never forget the compassion and the time allowed to me to share this moment to mark such a special occasion.

Since returning I have spoken highly to other colleagues about Colin's and passed your details on. Each saying this will be their next place they visit on their return trips to Johannesburg.

I myself will be back and will bring my family as this should be experienced by all.

Thank you for creating such a memorable experience. I look forward to seeing you all again

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank sydneylisa2017

Wow, it was an amazing time!! We look forward to the next time, right?

Reviewed 28 February 2017

We had a great time with the family and the animals. Unfortunately the place is overpriced for South African standards and the activities were to short. The place is not the small personalized family business as it was 10 years ago.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding value for money. We will do all we can to improve on this point. We are also very grateful for your input.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

On the About page of their website they state: "For the more energetic we have a number of well marked hiking trails that take you past scenic dams and quiet bird hides." One trail, well marked but not well maintained and no hides. I guess if you go for the other experiences, it can be a great place. But my husband is a birder and we selected the accommodation based on this sentence. So a bit of a let-down. But I must add that Shannon and Matt made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

We are terribly sorry about the bird hide! It was washed away by the rains and not replaced. Since your visit, the Blue Trail has been cut again. With all the rain, the growth was more than we had expected. Yesterday when Colin and I went for a walk to the dam, we spotted the Giant Kingfisher, which was a great treat! The nesting pair of Barn Owls up at Craig and Connie's house have successfully raised their chick. Hopefully it was still worth it for you to visit us!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cullinan
23,5 km away
0 km away
No photo provided
Ma Tala Tala Wildlife Lodge
#8 of 18 in Cullinan

Been to Horseback Africa? Share your experiences!