All reviewslion walkhorse ridinglion cubswonderful experiencelions roaryoung lionsguinea pigslions tourstaff were fantasticbeautiful horsemagical placemakes you feelcolinhorsesrideconservationsnakes
Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

From the moment you arrive, you are warmly welcomed by one or more of the MacRae family members. I did a full day there (from 8am- 3.30pm). First up was a horseback ride on one of the many trails around the property. Brandon was an excellent tour guide for our small group of 5- he was so encouraging and knowledgable! You have a very unique introduction to your horse that is carefully recommended to you based on your experience and riding confidence. Then you're off! We were very lucky to see giraffe, zebra and antelope on our ride. For the slightly more experienced riders there are few opportunities for a canter as well!

Lunch was homemade, wood fire pizza made on an organic base- yum! Where else would you try ostrich or kudu pizza?
They can make vegetarian options as well.
There are meerkats, snakes, cats, dogs and a very chatty bird also around the property. And a pool! So don't forget your swimming costume!

The lion walk was my favourite. Colin feels like your long lost relative as he takes you on a walk with the lion cubs. He explains what they are doing for the African lion population and how they are going about it. His passion is quite contagious!

We met other bigger lions at the park and watched on as they ripped apart their lunches. Colin shares every one of their stories like a proud Dad.

Last, but certainly not the least, was a hands on introduction to the smallest lion cub resident (but not for long we are told, as two lioness are expected to give birth in just a few weeks)! There are really no words when you are sitting there cuddling a lion cub in Africa. It's a pretty amazing feeling.

The whole day was incredible. Such a warm and friendly environment for both the animals and visitors. If you're looking for a hands on animal experience- done the right way, with conservation and animal wellbeing in mind- then this is it! A big thank you to Colin, Theony, Megan and Brandon for making not just my day but my whole year! Xx

Stayed: November 2016
Reviewed 21 November 2016

The most magical place in the world. Thank you all for giving me space to be me and recover my strength.
I will treasure the memory always
I'll see you again next year for sure - we are up for the new tour to do together next time.
Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2016

We were in South Africa for 2 weeks this month. Of the time in South Africa, all of which was unforgettable, some of our fondest memories were from the experience with Colin MacRae and family at Horseback Africa. The best way to describe this bed-and-breakfast horse ranch and game preserve is that it feels like you're visiting your favorite cousins' country home. You'll meet some of Colin's adult children who run much of the day-to-day operations. And the staff who have very clearly been with them a very long time. You'll have room to roam on your own - we felt very safe and secure walking around visiting the animals they have on site - lions of various ages, meercats, guinea pigs, rabbits, horses and more. The ride was spectacular - where else can you ride amongst a herd of zebras, visit a giraffe close up, see a herd of wildebeest while you're riding? The whole experience was amazing. If you're wondering about the quality of horses, they are in superb shape, well cared for and good natured. We had absolutely no problems in a group that ranged from pretty experienced riders (my h and I have owned our own) to almost first time riders. They separated the experienced riders into a group that could run a bit which was great fun. I would go back in a heartbeat - when we were leaving I told my h that I want to just do it all over again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge. Rooms were clean, well cared for. Not necessarily luxuriously furnished or appointed but perfectly fine.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2016

The horseback safari and lion walks can be experienced without actually staying there, but we chose to spend 2 nights in the lodge. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms were very nice, clean, and comfortable, and the meals were excellent. The entire staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The highlight of the horseback safari was the ability to actually mingle among the herds of zebras and wildebeests. The lion walk was very informative and a great way to get up close and personal with the lions. Another highlight (which they should stress more) was hiking the Blue Trail with its stunning vistas, geological formations, and flora and fauna.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Everyone visiting the area or living locally must visit Horseback Africa to walk with the Lions and learn more about this wonderful project. We will certainly be back for the horseback riding. Tremendous experience!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple