All reviews ski boots cakes steep hill the ski bus stop ski holiday superb food traditional austrian hotel excellent hotel course evening meal steam room ski area good size main course waiting staff booked through crystal ski tap water is standard room
Reviewed 18 April 2018

The Alpen Hotel Tyrol is a perfect base to ski both Galtur and the impressive Ishghl pistes.

Under the austere and watchful eye of Peter Lorenz every detail, from the perfectly starched table linen to the bedroom housekeeping and bar billing is immaculate.

The room décor is a little dated. The hotel boasts of its foundation in 1973, and I can imagine more than usual survives from its opening year. I’ve not seen bathroom tiles like that for years, certainly not in a four star hotel, and every hotel I have been in recently, even Premier Inns, have mixer or more usually unbloc taps, but not here. Similarly, I’ve not seen bedside lights of this type for a decade or more. It’s all a bit perfectly preserved retro, like it’s brand new. What’s not so good is the lack of plug points – where do you charges your phones, tablets, GoPro and the rest? Of course in 1973 that was no problem, but a bit of jiggling was required – not what I’d expect of a four star hotel in 2018. For me this was the only irritant about the hotel.

Ours was a standard room. The balcony rooms might be worth considering, not just because they are larger, but because the catch the evening sunshine as well as glorious mountain views.

The hotel has no sun terrace, which is a pity, and the bar is microscopic, and not really very inviting.

Several people have commented on the quiet – there is no piped music, which I like, but it does mean all your dinner time conversations can be overheard. The clientele when we were there were overwhelmingly Brits travelling with Crystal. Like the hotel the village is, well, quiet to the point of silence. Walking down the main street at 9:30 in the evening all is silent! There are a few hotel bars and a bar/club that opens up just one evening a week, but if you like any kind of ‘nightlife;’ don’t come here. Having said that Ishghl remains taxi-able, and there are some evening buses too.

The food is the highlight. It is quite simply the best hotel food I have ever eaten. It is full restaurant quality in presentation, imagination, taste and variety. Expect rich sauces and flavour and texture combinations. Even though portions aren’t huge we always skipped at least one of the five dinner courses. Service is impeccable, restrained and ultra courteous. The wine list prices are on the high side, but ignore the bottles and carafes are very reasonably priced for the quality of hotel. Breakfast likewise is a superb buffet affair.

Others have commented adversely on ‘the hill’. Yes it’s a short steep hill, but if you leave your ski equipment at the shop near the bus stop (all residents can do this I believe whether hiring or not) it’s not a problem.

The spa facilities are decent – again just a tad dated, but as with everything immaculacy maintained. Luckily I can’t read German, but I think the sign says ‘no bathing costumes’. We Brits all ignored that one. And got away with it.

The Galtur ski area is limited, but the bus down the valley to Ishghl, included on lift passes, is highly efficient, very frequent and comfortable and opens up endless possibilities. The main bus stop is just 20m from the hire shop. We skied into Switzerland several times and found lovely sunny runs. The Ishghl lifts are the best I’ve seen anywhere, with no queues. Pistes are well maintained and when we were there – the last week of the season - pretty quiet. Even in the second week of April there was masses of snow, with runs open all the way down to the villages.

All in all a great base in a great ski area. We’d love to go again.

Room tip: Consider a balcony room if your budget runs to it
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 16 April 2018

We booked this holiday through Crystal at a late stage but were still able to book two rooms one of with was a triple room for our son and two Grandchildren and the other for my wife and I which we paid a supplement for to upgrade to a room the same size which was adjacent. The view from the rooms was spectacular especially as there was still a lot of snow on the mountains which we didn’t expect due to the time of year. The room were perfect for us as they were clean and spacious with beautiful view from our balcony they were spacious although we had paid a supplement and they had all the facilities which we required including a large bath. They were serviced each day with replacement towels and kept tidy by their staff ect. The hotel is situated at the top of a hill which you get used to. The hotel has an arrangement with the local Hire shop for you to leave your equipment each day which is just by the ski bus stop which is very useful. The hotel which is a family run Hotel has a few basic facilities such as a steam room, sauna and whirlpool which our Grandkids though was great, together with at Table Tennis which they also enjoyed to. There is a small bar area although people sat and drank in it, it isn’t huge but there is delightful lounge that you can relax each evening and after noon after you skiing which they also serve some lovely savour and sweet snacks. The lounge is relatively quite so if you need more entertainment you will need to venture out in the evening but for us with two grandchildren it was perfect. The evening meal as served in a large restaurant as is the breakfast and although they have a short time window to be served which is normally 6.30 till 7.30 it runs like clockwork. The food is just amazing and if anything is too much to eat each night as it is five courses. The breakfast is the same which is served from a buffet of both hot and cold foods. All the staff were very pleasant accommodating especially the Hotel Owner who went out of his way to accommodation the needs of our Grandchildren. The Hotel was the perfect accommodation for our family in an ideal location in a perfect resort allowing us to teach out two Grandchildren to ski in the Galtur area which was brilliant due to the conditions of the snow and the empty runs. We had a wonderful holiday and this hotel was simply superb.

Room tip: Choose a room with a view and a balcony and upgrade to a larger size
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Just returned from a week skiing in Galtur and Ischgl staying at the Alpenhotel Tirol in Galtur. Skiing was fantastic, weather fantastic, hotel very disappointing. We booked through Crystal ski with our flight arriving in the evening, we arrived at the hotel at approx. 9.30pm. On arrival at reception, to check in, the gentleman behind the desk, who I assume was the owner, told us we were late and could we leave our bags and go immediately to the dining room as 'we were late'. No friendly welcome which we have always received over the last 11 years holidaying in Austria at various resorts. The food was however amazing - compliments to a very talented chef and most of the waiting staff excellent too. No help given to our rooms which were very basic and dated, no mirror in room and when I asked if it would be possible for a small one was told none available. Throughout the week we were made to feel very uncomfortable by the owners, dinner was regimented with you having to be seated by 7.30pm at the latest or the waiting staff would come looking for you. Not a relaxing stay at this hotel and sadly I would not recommend a stay there to anyone.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Travelled to the Alpehotel Tirol in Galtur with my wife and two teenage daughters in early April 2018.
Having skied a reasonable amount around Europe, this is the best little hotel we have stayed in - absolutely spotless, wonderful food, small but brilliant spa facilities - a 500 metre walk to Intersport where you can leave your ski's & boots and then another 20 metres to the ski bus stop.
Easy for both Galtur (small ski area but lovely)and Ischgl (probably the best pistes we have skied and a large area) and only 1 hour 30 mins from Innsbruck.
In terms of value for money this hotel is at the top of the list.
There is not much I ever recommend - have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

What an excellent week. I am sat in the hotel lobby waiting for my transfer to the airport, all of which has been booked through Crystal Ski so I thought I’d write down some thoughts.

Crystal have been excellent and I thoroughly approve of the ‘non-salesman’ approach; being badgered about buying stuff or going on trips is a real turn off - I’m pleased to say they didn’t use that approach at all.

In terms of skiing the pistes have been excellent with shed loads of snow, which is indeed handy and an integral part to a successful ski trip! I ordered my lift pass through Crystal and it was ready to go for me on the transfer in - looked like the same price as going to the lift offices too. I am an intermediate/advanced skier so galtur Silva Park is only adequate for a 1 day warm up ski - next time I would probably only buy the Ischgl pass and make use of the free schibus to and from Ischgl. So much to do at Ischgl for all abilities - aprés ski was great at Ischgl too - NB lift D1 had heated seats .

The hotel, Alpenhotel Tirol, is fantastic. Peter and his staff are excellent hosts. I was welcomed by first name terms, which was impressive considering multiple arrivals that evening and then invited into the dinning room. Wow. The food is excellent. Fantastic breakfast and a 5 course evening meal. Best food I’ve had in a hotel for a long time. They do charge for water (tap water, Leitungswasser) only if you don’t buy a beer etc. I think reasonable.

Accommodation is very comfortable and clean although the room, for me, was a little dated; that said perfectly acceptable. The hotel have a convenient relationship with Intersport, up the road, where one can leave your boots, skis and poles overnight.

A fantastic example of a family owned and run hotel and in many ways an excellent example of how a ski trip should be done. Austria still remains my ski holiday location of choice!

An extra note. Regrettably 1 of our party suffered an injury that ended his ski trip. The emergency services, the rep and his insurance (thankfully) were superb and the care given was speedy and thorough.

I will be back to Galtür/Ischgl and I’ll be staying in the Alpenhotel Tirol again!

Date of stay: March 2018