“An absolute must-stay!”
This attractive 16th century castle is a fantastic holiday getaway
The sun room has lovely views and is the perfect spot to relax with a drink  The vaulted ground floor room houses the kitchen and dining room
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This attractive 16th century castle is a fantastic holiday getaway
The sun room has lovely views and is the perfect spot to relax with a drink
The vaulted ground floor room houses the kitchen and dining room
The kitchen is fully equipped for cooking up a feast for your guests
The former Great Hall is located at first floor level and is now the sitting room with an open fire
Stoke up a roaring fire and relax with you friends after a long day in the Scottish wilds
Beautiful attention to detail throughout
The castle still retains many original features such as it's turnpike stairs
This is a fine bedroom with a lovely four poster double bed and feature bath
Within the four poster bedroom is the unusual feature of a bath and hand basin
Access to the bathroom and four poster on the second floor
Both twin bedrooms are on the 3rd floor of this castle and enjoy great views
There are lots and places to escape in this unique holiday home
This stylish twin room has a built in vanity unit and cosy window seating
Shared bathroom at the castle
Check out the tartan walls in the bunk room
The utility and drying room is next door to the sun room.
This is the original crest stone from 1598 above the door
This quirky castle is the perfect place to unwind and relax in a wonderful setting.
Self catering castle in Scotland with Visit Scotland 4 star rating
Part of the drive that takes you up to the castle
View of the beautiful countryside with mountains beyond
The kids will love catching a glimpse of the steam train chuffing across the landscape
Grantown-on-Spey is nearby with a good range of shops, pubs and other activities
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Castle -
4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6
Dulnain Bridge, Grantown-on-Spey, Badenoch and Strathspey, Scottish Highlands, Scotland

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 6 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Jamie M
“An absolute must-stay!”
Reviewed 4 February 2018 for a stay in January 2018

Everything about the castle was fantastic. The views are stunning and the building itself is very grand; the claymores on the ceiling really take you back a few centuries and the fire place gives the grand hall a very cosy feel.

Lesley, the caretaker, went above and beyond in terms of answering any questions my group had about the place. It was the middle of January when my friends and I stayed there and Lesley provided parking advice and sledges in the event of us failing to get the cars up the icy hill.

There's plenty to do in the surrounding area, from numerous stunning walks to good restaurants and various whiskey distilleries. I would thoroughly recommend Mukrach Castle to all ages, whether that be a group of 20 years olds like me and my mates or a family.

Your age range 18-24
8 Feb 2018
Hi Jamie

While I can see you may not have booked through Scotts Castle Holidays we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful time at the Castle. I’m sure the owners will be thrilled to hear your comments too. Thank you for your recommendations for the property and local amenities, it sounds like you would have had fun on the sledges! if we can help in any way for your next get away please just let us know.

Wishing you all the best - Team @ Scotts Castle Holidays
alidhun
Sevierville, Tennessee
“Love Muckrach Castle”
Reviewed 12 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

This is the most perfect rental! We absolutely loved everything about this place and did not want to leave. The kitchen is well stocked and easy to use. We loved sitting in the sunroom and admiring the views. The Castle is spacious with plenty of room for everyone. We did not want our week to end, but alas, it did. We have many fond memories of our stay and hope to be able to return one day!!

15 Aug 2017
Thanks you so much for your review. I’m glad you loved the Castle and wanted to stay longer, it’s also great to hear you had all the bits and pieces you needed in the kitchen. I am delighted everyone had plenty of space and don’t forget if we can tempt you back in the future, we offer a loyalty discount* to our Scott’s guests. I really hope we can be part of making more memories with you soon. Thanks once again for your review.*T&Cs apply
boopy45
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Amazing castle where old meets new in tranquil location.”
Reviewed 24 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

I wanted somewhere special to celebrate my 40th birthday with my family and this ticked all the boxes. Photos online of the interiors really do not do them justice as the place was stunning! The location is very tranquil although if travelling in the dark it is difficult to find as the entry road is not sign posted. The dirt track leading up to it was fine apart from a few pot holes that could do with being filled in. Lucky for us that the weather was dry and cold allowing the ground to be hard otherwise we would not have gotten up the drive in our Toyota Yaris and needed a 4x4. There is plenty space for four - six cars I would say. The castle is very clean and accommodates up to ten people comfortably. Even in the middle of winter it was warm and cosy with exception to the stairwell.The ground floor consists of a W.C, a well equipped kitchen( nice & warm) which has two fridges, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, 4 ring electric hob, electric fan oven and top oven/ grill, lots of cutlery, crockery, glassware, pans, casserole pots, three teapots, milk jugs, bread bin, two slice toaster, electric kettle, a huge dining table which easily fits ten people around it, plenty of dining chairs. Off from the kitchen is the conservatory which was too cold to sit in during winter. It did have an electric fire but it did not suffice. There is a washing machine, iron & board in a tower room next to the conservatory but no tumble dryer. The first floor consists of the sitting room which has a wow factor and photos do not do it justice. It is very tastefully decorated with gorgeous antique furniture and has three comfortable couches and two armchairs. It has a large tv, I dock, WiFi- which has surprisingly great reception. The atmosphere of the room is very smoky though and could do with a deep clean to the fabrics and repainted to try and help with this. As an asthmatic I couldn't use the room even when the fire was off. Others in my party used the fire and said it was lovely but did comment on the smoky atmosphere too but didn't have a problem with smoke billowing into the room as other guests have mentioned. The next floor up consists of a shower room which was clean and modern. The bedroom next to it has a four poster bed which I found the mattress quite uncomfortable and didn't sleep well during my stay. The room has two small built in wardrobes and a chest of drawers- strange banging noises came from that particular piece of furniture and on the last night of our stay my husband and I were laying on the bed when a huge bang came from the drawers and the sound of footsteps walking across the floor- my husband a non believer of the supernatural was spooked enough that we packed our things and left there and then like something from a Stephen King novel lol. The next floor level is accessed up a narrower stone staircase which has a thin rope dangling down through the centre of it for one to hold onto for balance. My parents in their sixties and my aunt who has ME managed the stairs just fine but after a couple of days it took its toll. There is a small bunkroom literally just of a part of the staircase which was very cosy, it has a chest of drawers, writing table and chair, sink vanity unit, but no hanging space, the room was too warm though. Then at the top of the stairs there are two twin rooms which are both tastefully decorated incorporating single built-in wardrobes, dressing table and chair, chests of drawers and a vanity sink, one room has built in window seats and the other has a turret area housing a table and chairs. These rooms were tastefully decorated with calming soft duck egg coloured soft furnishings. They we very warm and cosy. There is also a bathroom with overhead shower on this floor. Just off form this a few steps up is another bunk room which also has its own sink vanity unit and chest of drawers and chair but no hanging space except from a couple of hooks on the door. Everyone of the guests mentioned how uncomfortable their mattresses where suggesting new ones were definitely needed. I'm glad it wasn't just me who heard strange noises and voices happening throughout the castle and everyone of us could swear that in the middle of the night and each of us in our own rooms, heard people coming in the front door even though it was locked. It truly is an amazing place and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay apart from the last night. If you aren't easily spooked, which I thought I wasn't, then I highly recommend staying here.

Your age range 35-49
23 Feb 2017
Many thanks for the comprehensive feedback – and you certainly had the full castle experience! Whilst old castles have the odd creak and groan, it can take some getting used to! Your feedback regarding the fireplace has been forwarded on to the owner of the castle so they may look into this further. Thank you for taking the time to add your review and great to hear you highly recommend the castle for a special celebration. We would be delighted to assist with any future holiday plans!
OrionTrad...
Citrus Heights, California, United States
“A fun property to stay for the "castle" experience, but not luxury”
Reviewed 4 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Let me start by saying that this review is targeted toward American visitors, as I believe it would be viewed differently by those who actually live in the UK. There is an extensive review elsewhere, so I will not repeat many of the comments.
What was done well: modifying a 15th century building to meet 21st century standards. This could not have been an easy task. There is a washroom/toilet on the ground floor, a full shower with toilet on the 2nd [3rd floor to Americans] as well as a beautiful reproduction claw-foot tub in the master bedroom. There is also a shower over tub with toilet on the 3rd [4th floor to Americans] which is shared by two bedrooms. The first bunkroom is sort of a half-story stop between the master bedroom floor and the upper bedrooms. Once you get in to the upper floors, it becomes quite claustrophobic for people. The staircase between main and 1st floor is quite wide, but narrows by half between 1st and 2nd, but there is a railing. There is no hand rail for the circular stairs past the master floor [2nd], and stability is provided by a rope that hangs down the center of the staircase. Even for those that are stable on their feet, it is a bit of a scary experience. One of my guests had to sleep in the living room, as she simply couldn't face climbing those narrow stairs. However, the fact that there is modern plumbing on these floors is to be applauded.
The view was incredible, and the starry nights were something to behold. An added perk was a lovely resident Highland Cow, Archie, in the pasture up front to oversee your entry to the property.
Issues:
As has been stated elsewhere, the living room has a very heavy smoke smell. I believe that part of this is caused by improper setting of fires by guests. The chimney must be heated first by use of kindling before adding logs. This gets the air draft going and keeps the smoke from backing up into the room. Most people do an all-in-one fire set, and you can tell by the lingering smoke smell in the living room. The room and furnishings need a really good air-out and cleaning to get the smoke smell out. Those who have breathing sensitivities might not be able to use the room.
Internet connectivity was so sporadic/intermittent that it was virtually unusable. A valiant effort was made by the keeper to rectify the problem, but it was still unusable to us for the week. With 5 tech-savvy and dependent people in the castle, it was a very frustrating experience for all of us.
As mentioned by other users, the furnishings were a bit tired and could use a refresh. There seemed to be an insect issue, although there was a notification that they had a pest control company working on it. There were dead flies all over the conservatory for the week we were there. There were also various other insects to be contended with throughout the castle.
The refrigerators both smelled horrible when we opened them, but that could have been due to disuse.
There was no direction booklet available for the ovens, and as Americans, we had a difficult time figuring it out.
The washing machine/laundry was advertised as being at the "top of the castle". We assumed that meant the tower house, and could not find it. We finally checked the room off the conservatory, and found it one floor up in a small tower. The stairs here were about 1-1/2 times the normal height with no railing, making it difficult to navigate. A railing of some kind would go a long way toward making it more user-friendly.
The driveway was not marked, and could use some signage of some kind. It was overgrown, and could use some serious cutting-back of plant life. There is also a tree with dead limbs right next to one part of the drive, and looks like it might come over in a good wind, making it dangerous.
Renting Muckrach for a week allowed me to fulfill a lifelong dream of staying in a castle. If you are aware of the shortcomings up front, it would be of benefit.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Staying in a castle
Liked least: No internet access despite advertising it was available
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
15 Nov 2016
So sorry we didn’t receive a notification at the time of your review so did not have the chance to respond before.

I’m afraid we don’t have the details of your stay in our own records as you may have booked via a different agency or portal for the castle but we’re pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your holiday and that the housekeeper was able to help with queries during your stay.

As you say, the accommodation in this 16th century castle has been modernised to make a popular and comfortable holiday let, feedback from our own guests is also very good and it’s great that you fulfilled your wish of staying in a castle!
wlfrdbrgs...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here,its such a great place.There is so much to do and see in the spey valley,yet again we have only scratched the surface.The castle is great as there was only 7 of us plus one dog,there was plenty of room,mind you its a long way up the circular staircase to the top rooms especilly at night.Well worth the money if there is afew of you.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 Apr 2014
Many thanks for your lovely feedback and glad to hear you enjoyed another stay in this beautiful part of Scotland. Hope we can help again with your groups next holiday!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing