“Amazing place - perfect week, perfect location...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Southover

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
brand new hot tub!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
JulesP82
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Roof leaks, Mould, Asked to Wait In For The owners Sky Technician!”
Reviewed 7 January 2015 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

When we first arrived at Southover we were greeted not with the idyllic thatched riverside cottage in the brochure photos but a roof covered in tarpaulin, a messy backyard with a scruffy shed, paint peeling from the fences, a broken sun-chair and a cold hot tub. We were told the house wasn't ready (we arrived at the agreed time) but as we couldn't go away again (the children had woken up) we offered to wait in the "games room". This consisted of a broken pool table with ripped felt. Fun!
Once in the house we were shown damage to the inside walls where there had been a leak in the roof. We were told by the cleaner she had told the landlord but he hadn't done anything about it.
The kitchen was well equipped, the living room was nice if dusty and the balcony view was gorgeous though. We were only there 3 days (only 1 full day) and having being held up just wanted to get on with our holiday and the children settled (a baby and toddler). It was also 2 of the parties birthdays so we wanted to ensure they had a good stay.

I contacted the landlord on the first day to ask where the ipod dock was that was advertised. He advised the last tenants must have taken it and to buy another for him to refund us. Given that we had made plans with the family with only one full day, we didn't want to spend time and money doing this. I also advised we had been let into the property late. He advised we could stay extra time at the end to make up for this.
He then advised us that his sky technician was coming at 12 noon. We didn't see this as a problem. However he didn't tell us this meant he expected us to wait in for him. Sorry but we haven't paid for a holiday to wait in and do his job!

On the last day, we woke up to find that the roof had leaked into our baby's room. He was soaked. We could also smell strong gas in the boiler room. It was totally unacceptable. I contacted the landlord by text (as he is abroad so it would have cost us a lot from a mobile) who said it sometimes happens when the wind comes from a certain direction. Seriously? No phone call, no real apology. No offer to make up for any of this.

I contacted the holiday company who sympathised but after speaking to the landlord called us back to say the landlord denied anything was wrong and offered no apology or even partial refund. We paid for a 5 star property. This was not 5 star in any way. Maybe a few years ago, but not currently (possibly he had let the maintenance go when he moved abroad?)

We wrote our feedback in the house feedback book and noticed a lot of other negative comments over the last few months. Many of the same issues. Why hadn't these been rectified before we came then?

I text the landlord just after we left to ask that he call me. He did so a few days later but denied there could be any problem. I advised we had taken pictures at which he offered we could come back at a discounted rate. We did not want to stay there again. He advised he would be coming back to the country to visit the property and would then contact me back. He said the walls where the leak had been couldn't be painted because they were still damp but then said they would be painted tomorrow? They had just leaked on our son a few days earlier so would still be damp though so that doesn't add up. He also said that as we had taken the boat out on the last day that made up for all the problems. I reminded him he had advised we could make up for the lost time at the beginning and that the boat was included in the rental, not an extra, We didnt use any extra gas for the boat than had come with the rental and when we got back (after about an hour) the cleaner had just started cleaning so it hadn't affected the next renters. He didn't call us back unsurprisingly.

I sent the photos to the holiday company who gave us a partial refund as soon as they saw he was not telling the truth to them.

I have no doubt that this could have been a lovely property in the past and from the reviews of those that have stayed there since us, it seems he must have fixed the maintenance issues. However I think its really poor customer service to expect your customer to wait in for your sky man, buy things for your property, not inform us prior that there were roof issues and not call straight away to apologise fully.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The area and views
Liked least: My son waking soaking in the bed from a known roof leak!
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
26 Jan 2015
Shed in process of being painted, pool table recovered,new i pod cable screwd down and chained , roof leak which had been an ongoing problem involving thatch and lead work was a minor drip babies head being wet was not possible as cot won't fit where leak was ! I thought replacing sky box ASAP was the right thing to do. They waited 20 minutes for cleaning to be finished, I said they could leave late , I did not say they could take my boat out for 5 hours! I did my best to make her happy and sent £50 she did not do a review until she had been home 3 months !
PrincessL...
Scotland
“Amazing place - perfect week, perfect location, perfect company”
Reviewed 29 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014

I recently spent a week at Southover in Wroxham and I fell in love with the place. I spent my 40th birthday weekend there with friends and had a big party - the boat was great for picking people up from the station and the hot tub a winner. I then spent christmas at Southover with my family and it was perfect for the whole family age range 9 - 67 and again we all used the boat and hot tub. The location is idyllic with wildlife at your doorstep - the geese and swans were particularly entertaining, the house was so warm for it's size that we had to turn the heating off! The facilities were great and it was nice having our dogs welcome by the owners (they also loved the wildlife) and the open plan living space was fantastic as was the view. There was a tree put up for christmas and the owners went out of their way to help us and ensure we had everything we needed also recommending restaurants (the recruiting sergeant in Coltishall was very good indeed) - we all had the best time and I would recommend this place to anyone, I really fell in love with it and was very sad to leave and I hope to return for another special occasion in the future.

Liked best: The living space
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Large Group
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Alison G
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“One of the best places we have staye”
Reviewed 15 November 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

I fail to see how anyone could be dissatisfied with a stay at Southover. Yes, the house is a little quirky and tired in places but it is warm, dry and clean with brilliant facilities . Both Sam who greeted us at the house on arrival, and the owner went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable stay, quickly resolving an early problem and keeping in touch throughout the week to check there were no further issues. The view from the balcony was amazing, and together with use of a motorboat and the hot tub to star gaze from at night, it was a perfect setting. We would definitely come back.

Liked best: Views
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Paul B
London, United Kingdom
“What more could you ask for???”
Reviewed 18 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

Have to agree with last review. I don't normally write things about places if I liked I go again if I don't i wont. And have to say have already contacted the owner regarding staying again. I really can't see the issue some people have had here unless things were totally different to my stay. I have been going on the broads for well over 20 years and love it but it's normally on a boat, due to a new pup I couldn't consider a boat this time and had to pick a house. With many to choose from we ended up wanting south over.... So was looking at horning or outskirts of wroxham and knowing the broads like the back of my hand and the stretch of river southover sits on it was an easy choice. Ok there were cheaper ones but wanting a day boat for the week on top of house rental it made it the same price. So with fantastic views a boat inc and a hot tub to boot southover had it all for us. Ok it was only me the misses and two dogs and was a lot more house than we needed but after being home for 30 mins I felt compelled to sing its praises. EVERY room in the place gets hot with the heating on inc the boat house room. We're a couple of little bits some people might moan about but not us. It's full of character and just what you would want from a cottage sitting over a river with a view. I have stayed in 5star resorts all inc that I could write a book of complaints about. As for the owner I couldn't ask for more. Had issue with sky ( not his fault but theirs) and he was onto them. Had airlock in hot tub ( due to it being fully drained shed cleaned before our arrival so knew it was fresh for us). And he had some one over to sort out for us,and all this while is wasn't even in the country. He stayed in contact all week to make sure things were fine. And again have to say again he wasn't in the uk!! So people saying unwilling to help. In my experience you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try and if your nit willing to give abit your not gonna get much back, maybe that was people's issues. Anyone looking to stay will love the place love the views with the Birds ( might want to get some frozen fish for the heron or it will give you the evil all day otherwise. And keep an eye out for the otters, see them the last night but had evidence of their feeding on the lawn in the week but missed them

So yes as you can tell great place in our opinion.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
sixmillma...
cambridge
“The house and location are lovely”
Reviewed 11 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

I don't usually do reviews, if I don't like a place, I won't go again. I felt compelled to say something after reading the last two reviews, I didn't recognise it as the same place I stayed in. We were in Southover in September, with friends for a week. The house, the cleanliness, and the location are first rate, we all had a great time, and will return sometime in the future.

How easy was it to book the property?
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing