See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Don't be fooled by the recently renovated spiel. This is very cleverly marketed in a boutique style way but is far from it!
We turned up to be told the stains on the carpet were from the person before us and he hadn't had time to clean them. Looking at other reviews this is just an outright lie and he can't be bothered to clean them. Dirty laundry sat out in the hallway from the moment we arrived to us leaving (he even pointed it out on taking us to our room).
The room absolutely stank of sewage. Thank goodness we weren't in the room for any length of time - it was unbearable. The shower mount was broken meaning that you had to hold the shower, he claimed ignorance to this when I told him at the bar but made no efforts to look at or suggest he would fix this. That being said taking a shower is completely pointless as there are two temperatures - scaldingly hot or freezing cold.
When arriving back from dinner a live band started playing a set at 11. I thought that's ok, they close at 12. Musis continued blaring until gone 3am.
The clientele of this pub are less than desirable, lager louts smashing glasses outside the accomodation and shouting and swearing.
There is no breakfast and no where open nearby that serves breakfast.
We were due to stay here two nights for a wedding at Priston Mill. We ended up posting our keys through the letter box and leaving early as there was no way I would spend another night there.
Avoid at all costs. Overpriced and underdelivered. this is a pub with no interest in catering for accomodation.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holly H
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Seemed okay to begin with until you met the bar staff. Extremely rude lady behind the bar who just ruined the place. Staff is needed which reflects the look your going for, not that show a awful attitude and no social skills. I would not recommend this place unless your looking for a rough old beer!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank travellerbaby411
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

"It's pay before you stay here" intoned the landlord gruffly as we stood at the bar at 7pm, having already been informed that we couldn't check in before 5pm. That didn't matter too much as we'd been attending a Christening, though it would have been nice to have had chance to freshen up after a 2h30 drive from London...

The pub itself is quite nice - decent decor, good range of beers and a reasonably large plain grassy garden out back, albeit with rather tired furniture. If you wanted a quiet early night...you'd probably be disappointed as on a warm May Saturday night (when we stayed) the pub garden was full and noisy...luckily we didn't mind.

The barman was quite nice too - he led us out of the pub, down a passageway, over a few large piles of dirty laundry and up a flight of stairs to our choice of 2 bedrooms; one a large family room, the other a book-wallpapered double room, both perfectly acceptable.

Those were the highlights...the lowlights were more numerous...

"Stone-built village pub offering 2 home-style rooms, plus free English breakfast and a garden."
That's what it says on the website...except there is no breakfast included...in fact there was nobody around in the morning - the place was locked and deserted. So if you fancied an early breakfast, tough. Having gone for a walk, we asked the barman (who was by now having a cigarette out front) where to go for breakfast (having just found out we werent going to get fed for our £80 room)? The local tea room was closed (wouldn't open until 9am) as was the farm shop down the road....and apparently it was a 5 mile drive to the nearest place. What else was wrong....
• Hot water? Nope...it was one of those hand held showers attached the mixer tap...flimsy, not much pressure and having left it running for 5 mins it was still cold. I gave up.
• Cup of tea? Yes there were tea and coffee making facilities, but nothing else (if you fancied something to tide you over after your non-breakfast)...oh and the sachets of milk were off....so no breakfast, no cup of tea (incidentally, read another recent review complaining of curdled milk so it wasn't just me)
• Wi-Fi? Described as "patchy at best" in the bar, it was non-existent in the bedrooms.
• Hospitality? No sense of any welcome, either on arrival or departure. I just left my keys in the hard-to-open bedroom door and left.

Overall, it appeared to me that having (probably) recently refurbished their rooms, the Seven Stars automatically thinks it can charge top prices. However, it takes more than some posh wallpaper and Farrow & Ball paint to make a stay memorable...and if you leave in the morning dirty, hungry, and annoyed, I'd suggest that the Seven Stars reviews its treatment of its guests...because at present 'cattle' would be a better description - herded in late at night, shut up, kept in the dark, then kicked out asap in the morning.

Overall, it appeared to me that having (probably) recently refurbished the rooms, the Seven Stars automatically thinks it can charge top prices. However, it takes more than some posh wallpaper and Farrow & Ball paint to make a stay memorable...and if you leave in the morning dirty, hungry, and annoyed, I'd suggest that the Seven Stars reviews its treatment of its guests...because at present 'cattle' would be a better description - herded in late at night, shut up and kept in the dark, then kicked out asap in the morning.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed 15 April 2018

I booked in for two nights to attend the funeral of an old friend. Although I received a pleasant welcome from Rich - and he carried my case up the very steep staircase, that was it. As for the rest:
(I cannot comment on the pub's food as I didn't eat there.)
The bed was comfortable - the best thing I can comment on.
The room was cold as the heating had not been put on in readiness - Rich flicked on the switch on a wall heater.
There was just one sachet of milk which, because I had to rush in and rush out, I didn't notice until much later.
I stayed two nights and the room was not serviced during the day on Friday - dirty cups etc all still where I left them, bed unmade! Still no milk!
I went downstairs and explained to a young man behind the bar. He was very apologetic and brought milk etc up so I made a cup of tea, only to find it was curdled!
Loud thumping music kept me awake on both nights - on the Thursday, until 00:45 - plus banging doors - I was not anticipating that, especially having read another review saying how quiet it was!
There were two stains on the carpet (which didn't look as though any attempt had been made to remove them).
The hot tap on the bathroom basin twisted every time it was turned on or off - I was concerned it might break and there was no phone in the room to call for assistance. (Only one loo roll - no spares!)
The only light was from two beside lamps so very 'subdued lighting' to say the least.
The only place I have stayed in for many a year without a TV!
No-one was there when I left so I put the keys through the letterbox - otherwise I would have made these comments to Rich.
All in all a very disappointing experience, for which I could have got 3 or 4 four nights in a Travelodge for the same price!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Dianne5552016
Reviewed 19 February 2018

I had a lovely stay at this little gem! A very welcoming country pub. The staff were friendly and the lunch was amazing! And the room was beautiful. A very delightful stay and will be returning very soon!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends