All reviews lovely view onsen water enjoyed our stay nice baths table tennis the bus minute walk a great place to stay kumano kodo sashimi traditional japanese room rice two nights sitting area wi fi great onsen open air
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Let's face it, look at this place from the road and it looks like a crumbling relic from East Germany during the Cold War. But once you're inside, it's fantastic. The staff arecso friendly and attentive, dinner is to die for, the onsen is fabulous. I agree with everything Natasha says below - our experience was every bit as good. Five stars.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Room is not great. But they made up with fantastic staff. All of them are so helpful and speak good English. Indoor onsen is ordinary and too hot for comfort. End up have to use the outdoor onsen. No sauna. Their breakfast and dinner are not a lot but very interesting.
Room is dated and old. Rather small living area and toilet. However, fridge is well stock with sake, beer, juices and water. Also have a freezer section. Wifi is stable and runs throughout the place.
Bus stop is just below the hotel. You've to walk up about 50m. Maybe not so suitable for aged people who have difficulty hiking up a little hill.
If I'm doing Kumano trail, I'll come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 31 is quiet and nice view at balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely friendly hotel. The onsen is excellent and the food is great. The staff are very friendly and helpful and speak excellent English. I left my cable in my room and they found it and sent it on to me, without my asking. Very helpful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank X7536PYsimonb
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed two nights while walking the Kumano and Kohechi trails, carrying all our gear. Staff were friendly and helpful, and spoke English. The room was excellent, with spectacular views of the river. The dinner and breakfast were traditional meals, and both were excellent. There is a a short 3.2 km walk over the mountain to Hongu, for which the staff were able to drive us to the start of the walk. Great Onsen. No shops nearby, but a short bus ride to the township. Thoroughly comfortable and recommended.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rossadam
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel and its staff . Friendly and helpful to the point of embarrassment . The young man who spoke to us in excellent English guided ups through the local bus timetable , our room facilities and each exquisite dish at our meals.
The food is also a stand out .All five stars.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family