Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$149
Hotels.comUS$149
eDreamsUS$149
CheapTicketsUS$149
Orbitz.comUS$149
TravelocityUS$149
All reviews bamboo room live music large balcony costa rica janet john restaurant bar great entertainment by accident clean pool fantastic views amazing ocean ocean view a wonderful stay stayed two nights beautiful place boutique hotel comfortable rooms
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2021 via mobile

This was our second stay at Alma de Ojochal. After a great visit last January, we reserved all 5 rooms for the last week in March, and brought 8 friends with us this year. We loved having the entire place to ourselves. The rooms are great, the food wonderful, but what really sets this place apart are the owners (John and Janet) and their staff. Just fantastic, friendly people, that can’t do enough for you. Helped us set up a private ocean sunset cruise, an animal watching river cruise and an ATV 4 hour ride that was a blast.
I usually rent a car as I like the freedom to explore by myself. But this year with 8 of us, we hired a van with a driver for 5 of the 7 days - best move ever. Nacho is the driver, and is almost a family member now. Picked us up at the airport for the 4 hour drive to Alma. Drove us to all our activities, and back to the airport to go home.
I would give the highest rating possible to Alma and Nacho.
We have already reserved the whole hotel for next January.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Janet Chantry, Owner at Alma de Ojochal, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2021

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. Can’t wait to host your family again. Love you guys!

Reviewed 7 March 2021

I arrived in Costa Rica and my AirBNB after a very long travel day feeling tired and hangry. The property manager met me and needed to fix the toilet first. The toilet ended up flooding the apartment and I looking for a new place to stay. I called Alma and the owner, John said come on up. He met me at the entrance with a key, the lights were on in the room and I immediately felt at home. It couldn't be better! The staff is fantastic, the views spectacular, breakfast is prepared every day by Jose, who is an artist in the kitchen and produces masterpieces of deliciousness.
The hotel has a restaurant bar called Bamboo Room, which in unfortunately closed now because of Covid, but the owner and his friends started a live radio show 3 nights a week since closing.
I love it here, I may never leave!

Room tip: The hotel only has 5 rooms, 3 regular room and 2 suites. All rooms have amazing views. I wouldn't be picky, they are all perfect.
Date of stay: March 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Pat you’re a good friend now. We sure do hope we get to see you again in the future. Bring your friends!

Reviewed 9 December 2020

You just can't get much better than this! I have stayed here as my respite from the jungle many times and it never disappoints! It has always been fabulous but they have also updated some basics - the new bathrooms are dreamy. 5 star and luxury at an great price. Private, all the amenities I could ask for: outdoor sink, fridge, chairs, candles, privacy curtains, free coffee. Inside: brand new bathrooms with soft thick towels, full length mirror, bright lights, and a rock floor shower with rain showerhead that feels fabulous on your feet. The room includes a safe, tv for casting on, the best bed of the trip, clean, comfy and perfection. The attention to details are amazing!
Also, I love the pool area! Small and boutique-y.
Rooms 5 & 6 are worth the extra space but not necessary as the others are spacious enough. 5 &6 are just special and very private.

Room tip: 5 & 6 are special rooms. Lovely but all are great!
Date of stay: November 2020
Reviewed 18 September 2020

We just returned from a four night stay at La Alma de Ojochal. The rooms were comfortable and private. The bed was heavenly! The newly remodeled bathrooms are gorgeous. And then there’s.....the PATIO. It is large and the view is incredible. We were serenaded by toucans and enjoyed the raucous vocalizations of scarlet macaws along with a variety of other birds! We loved sitting out on the balcony during rain storms in the afternoons and evenings. So relaxing and peaceful! We enjoyed a live show with Ken and John as well as a live show with Shorty Hills. John is an outstanding host.....kind, friendly, and helpful! We enjoyed visiting with him. José provided an outstanding breakfast and Alan ensured we were well taken care of. Thank you John, Janet and staff for allowing us to visit this amazing property....it is our home away from home in the southern zone. ❤️

Room tip: All rooms have fantastic views!
Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 18 August 2020

We were honored to be Alma Ojochal's first guests since the pandemic. John and Janet received us with open arms (or elbows actually, since we maintained social distancing). We were there for 1 night, but it was fabulous. Each room has a balcony with ocean view. The bed and pillow were extremely comfortable. Pool area was awesome! Looking forward next time to catch one of their live music shows

Room tip: all rooms are identical
Date of stay: August 2020