Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
US$154
eDreamsUS$235
CheapTicketsUS$160
TravelocityUS$160
All reviews infinity pool chef pablo costa rica private island general manager boutique hotel view of the ocean the entire staff worth the trip local restaurants rooms are beautiful amazing views star service delicious food every meal tropical paradise the managers
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 July 2021 via mobile

We booked this hotel for second half of trip, we had come from Oxygen Jungle Villas to El Castillo to experience more of the beach than jungle for our trip. El Castillo is gorgeous and offers stunning views. We had a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view room and it was amazing, the balcony overlooking the ocean was so relaxing to read and watch the sunset. The hotel itself is clean and well kept. The ocean view suite was huge and the bathroom is amazing with such a nice/large shower. It does have AC which is nice, but can also open all the old windows for natural air/breeze. Bed was not super comfortable, very firm and only had 2 pillows total, when asked for more they didn’t have any extra but offered one from a different room (I thought that’s as odd and don’t want to use it due to not knowing if it was clean). The outdoor space is beautiful but downside is that there are only 6 loungers and an outdoor couch. The pictures with a separate cabana area does not exist anymore, it has since been turned into more suites. So if you want to be poolside on a lounger all day, I recommend snagging chairs early AM. The location is nice and offers a convenient loop/road that I walked or ran each morning, it was safe. Overall, great hotel. Huge downside is food, it is not up to the standard of this kind of hotel. We had fajitas, Costa Rican rice, burger, hummus and breakfasts. None of them were that great and the burger was probably the worst I have had in awhile and for $16, just doesn’t cut it. We ended up only eating there once for dinner and once for lunch (aside from complimentary breakfast) as my husband is a huge foodie and works private chef events, so he preferred driving offsite to have better food. It is unfortunate that the food is not at the level of the hotel overall, hopefully they can improve upon it on the future. It would also be helpful for the manager to not make us feel bad about leaving the hotel for dinner each night and instead, recognize that the food just does not match the high price/quality of the hotel. We do recommend this hotel overall, just know that you might want to lookup nearby restaurants, which is fun anyhow tk experience more in town!

Room tip: Need solid car to get up little hill to hotel.
Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2021

Beautiful property in a stunning location. I was fortunate to be the only person staying the one night I was there, so it was like having my own private house. Staff were super friendly and attentive. Breakfast was wonderful, taken by the pool overlooking the ocean. My only regret was only staying one night! Highly recommend to anyone looking for a quiet, comfortable stay in an incredible location.

Reviewed 2 July 2021 via mobile

I had a few days that needed a relaxing place . El Castillo was better than perfect. From the start with Rebeca managing my arrival . To the staff with the right amount of attention. The food was absolutely a diners delight . I actually didn’t leave the premises. I can not wait to get back there . Thank you to all of the staff .

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2021

Friends and I went for lunch this past weekend and we all were impressed with literally everything! The grounds and hotel were beautiful, Rebeca and the support staff went out of their way to create a memorable experience, the food was insane and the view was out of this world! Top notch!

Reviewed 26 June 2021

El Castillo Hotel in Ojochal, is located off the main road (route 34) up on hill with a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean and the Terreba River Basin. Rooms are incredible, with ample windows that allow the guests to admire the view and the more-common than expected, flight of scarlet macaws.

The wonderful view is only surpassed by the amazing staff, which is helpful in every possible way. Rebecca, the manager, went out of her way to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. The staff recommended nearby restaurants, arranged boat tours and at every opportunity, asked how they could improve our stay.

My only suggestion would be to have two sets of drapes, light and thick. The ones in our room allowed the sun to seep into our bedroom very early in the morning. However, this allowed us to start the day early and enjoy the wonderful breakfast.

I wish I were in that pool, watching the ocean, only to be interrupted by the call of scarlet macaws far off in the distance.

Room tip: Corner suites are incredible and have the best view.
Date of stay: June 2021
Rebeca Villalobos , Director General at El Castillo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2021

Dear Eric , Thank you very much for your comment, for us in El Castillo really was a pleasure to host you and we wish you can come back. We will take a note of your comments because this is how we improve every time.

Kind regards