All reviewstour groupbeds were comfortablekyle of lochalshspectacular viewsloch alsheilean donan castlesurrounding areaporridgeskyebridgepolishplocktonisletouring
Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stayed here recently while on a tour of Scotland with CIE tours. I was assigned a very nice room with a view of the lake. My double bed was a bit softer than I would have liked, but I slept fine. The room had a nice rocking chair and ottoman that was very comfy. The bathroom was modern and had a nice heated towel rack. The towels and linens were of nice quality. There was no closet, but there was a large wardrobe and a luggage rack. There was a large flat screen tv, but I didn't watch any so I don't know what channels they offer.

The meals were good. One evening I had the grilled salmon which was delicious, and they also had a nice breakfast buffet for us. I had the haggis, and it was actually pretty tasty if you don't think too much about what it's made from.... Also, before dinner one evening, one of the staff played guitar and sang for us. She had a lovely voice.

(I had a very nice stay here and would cheerfully return, but there were a couple of people in my group who had tiny rooms and no heat the first night. They got the heat fixed for the second night.)

If you stay here and have a chance, cross the street and walk to the edge of the loch. I found some wonderful shells there!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank TarHeelLady
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We stayed here for two nights. The hotel is located very close to the bridge to the Isle of Skye. Our large room overlooked Loch Alsh and we could see the Isle of Skye. During the night the wind was quite loud and strong and white caps were visible on the water. The manager was very helpful when asked and provided us with a charger for our Iphone. Both night's dinners were good and we enjoyed the porridge at breakfast. One of the ladies who served at dinner provided a concert before dinner on the second night of Scottish music. We soon learned to buy some scones during the day to have with tea made in our kettle in the room.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

have stayed in a lot of hotels after this.
still reminded of the nightmare and the rudeness that is this hotel.
please avoid at all cost
very rude. very unhelpful and not even reimbursement for locking us out of the hotel without informing locking time and no contact or even apology from them till now.
worst ever.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deepthy I
Reviewed 28 October 2017

We stayed here two nights on a tour and were pleasantly surprised by the nice rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and very good food. We found our room to be spacious, clean, comfortable and it even had a nice view of the water. It has a very nice bar and dining room, both with very nice staff. We were even given a short music concert by one of the staff one evening before dinner. The lady had a very sweet voice and made our journey just more memorable. We definitely would stay here again even if we were not on a tour.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Unable to get internet bookings on Skye a month earlier, we booked into Balmacara, an old style 1880s hotel that has grown over time since it started serving passing trade.

For a very reasonable rate we had a spacious clean comfy/warm room with everything we needed and views over the loch with a hearty breakfast thrown in.

While I agree with comments that the hotel focuses on bus tourists, including the limited meal times we should fit into, we enjoyed our dinners which were served promptly. The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful and we had no issues with noise from other residents or the road thanks to double glazing.

In retrospect after driving through a wet and bedraggled Portree the next day, we were happier with the finer microclimate at the Balmacara and its views.

Room Tip: Room on first floor with 'sea views' over the loch and Skye
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple