“Beware of the Codex Seraphinianus!”

Labirinto Della Masone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Il Labirinto della Masone, progettato da Franco Maria Ricci, copre 7 ettari di terreno ed è stato realizzato interamente con piante di bambù di specie diverse. Il complesso del labirinto ospita spazi culturali per più di 5000 metri quadrati, destinati alla collezione d’arte di Franco Maria Ricci (circa 500 opere dal Cinquecento al Novecento) e a una biblioteca dedicata ai più illustri esempi di tipografia e grafica, tra cui molte opere di Giambattista Bodoni e l’intera produzione di Alberto Tallone. Completano questa collezione storica tutti i libri curati da Franco Maria Ricci in cinquant’anni di attività.
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Went to the place because I'd heard about it and it intrigued me despite being almost a local, and we had a couple of hours to kill on a lazy morning. I hate bamboos with a passion but the labyrinth itself has been a mystic experience, it didn't even take as much as I thought. The Pyramid is almost empty but I guess it served its purpose well.
The art gallery instead is absolutely awesome and contains masterpieces from all styles and all eras and all techniques.
Only, beware the Codex Seraphinianusbecause it'll entertain you to no end!
I wouldn't advise to visit the place with kids because after the labyrinth, I'm not sure how they'll react being closed in an art gallery for hours...

All reviews
"sculptures"
"masterpiece"

Reviewed 4 August 2017

far from Parma

the museum space was fabulous but mostly older Italian classics, great if this is your thing

the labyrinth is interesting but was basically a let-down for us

Reviewed 18 May 2017

The maze looks easy, but it's not. The scenery is beautiful, the path is also an inner one. The buildings are a tribute to the past. worth the visit, and you can bikeshare in the plane and fascinating landscape of the heart of italian best food

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Found this to be a completely enjoyable and unique experience. My only reservation is the entry fee of 18 Euro/person. However, given the expense that has gone into creating this marvelous attraction, it may actually be justified. Franco Maria Ricci, a long time Italian art book and magazine publisher from Milano, has created a completely fascinating landscape on the site of his long time country home.

My wife and I spent nearly 2 hours exploring the buildings and museum collection while barely taking time to wander the labyrinth (we've been on our feet a lot in the past few days). Families and younger couples could spend quite a bit of time exploring this Roman-style labyrinth created using bamboo plants - which is a story in itself.

The art collection includes sculpture, paintings, decorative arts, photography, and of course the lovely art books for which the creator is well known (many of which can be purchased in the bookstore/gift shop). The time span of the collection is primarily from the 18th century thru the late 20th century.

I can't conclude without giving our highest recommendation to having lunch or dinner at the on-site restaurant. We had a most memorable lunch.

2  Thank Dennis F