See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at Heraclea and were very pleased with our stay. The room on the second floor was spacious, had a balcony with a sea view and overlooked the pool area. It was quiet at night, except one night that turned out to be karaoke night! Thankfully they stopped just before midnight, but you might want to go for a room facing the gardens or the parking to avoid this. The hotel staff was very friendly indeed and made us really feel welcome. The sandy beach was a short walk away - don't miss it! Basilicata is a lovely part of Italy and it is certainly not crowded with tourists yet it has a lot to offer. Heraclea is a great base for exploring the area.

Date of stay: June 2014
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Our stay from 4th to 12th July was great staying in room 108 which was spacious overlookin the pool and grounds. The price very reasonable included Breakfast, Lunch and Evening meal even a bottle of wine and water thrown in as well. We were greeted by the main man at the station Francesco which was so nice as we had been travelling all day from Stansted to Brindisi then two train journeys and a coach ride but was all worth it in the end. This hotel caters for all age groups young, elderly and the disabled. The room spacious and quiet although you could hear a little of the activites for the young and old by the pool which you will be asked to join in so be warned the waiting staff very friendly and helpful too. The price also included sunbeds and umbrellas at the beach which was a 2 minute walk or you could get the bus which stops outside the hotel, this bus also takes you into the town if you want to check out the shops and bars at a cost of about a euro very cheap and at regular intervals takes about 10 minutes. One bum note the sea although Ionian which is very clean according to the bar staff near the beach you need to be aware of Jellyfish which were in evidence and after my partner getting stung did put us off taking a dip in the sea, you have been warned the kids surprisingly were catching them in buckets much to our amusement and Maduza is Italian for Jellyfish I may have spelt this incorrectly. All in all a good holiday was had we would recommend anyone coming here you will not be disappointed.

Room tip: 1st Floor quiet with a view of the grounds and pool.
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank raveydavey
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We (5 of us) were attending a family wedding in the area so I booked 2 separate suites at this resort after reading description and looking at pictures posted by the resort!!! In the pictures it showed a mini kitchen, but to our dismay the kitchen section was LOCKED UP. I asked to have it unlocked and they said impossible ... The room was owned and the owner said we could not use the kitchen section. TOTAL FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!! There was a mini fridge.... but no matter what it blew out warm air ... I even unplugged it and cleaned the coils... No function..so everyday we went down to the bar and got a pitcher of ice to help keep items cool in the fridge.(Attendants at bar were very nice and friendly!) We were first put in suite 105... Fumes from the sewer became so strong that I woke up at 3 am..dizzy, and my fingers numb from the horrible gas odor. The front desk man came up immediately and moved us down the hall to a new room. The next day the "Honey dipper" showed up to clean the sewer lines ..and commode water flew all over the bathroom from the pumps and suction. I went out and bought disinfectant and cleaned the bathroom to be sure it was sanitized. Beds were comfortable. Room was clean.. Balcony was nice to have even tho it only faced the road. Italians have funny schedules.... Pool was open 10-1...closed till 4pm...then opened again and closed at 7PM....You also were required to wear swim caps!!!! Beach was a 8 minute walk away.... Beware of broken glass.... thank god I had thick flip flops on one day... I ran a screw in my shoe...another bit it would have broke the skin. A lot of shady foreign characters work the beach selling towels, nick nacks... they even sleep on the beach at night. Even tho I never saw any police on the beach... I felt it was very safe area.
Beach is extremely rocky....so be sure to bring water shoes. There are several restaurants and bars at the beach.... All were very good...prices were reasonable.
The Staff at the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant offered good meals. Even the owner of the resort went out of his way to help us, he arranged for one of the staff to go with us into town at 8 pm to show us a good shop to buy dress pants for a wedding that was being held the next morning... The tailor was such a nice guy ...he had the pants altered and at the hotel by 9 am the next morning. Where in the United States could you get that done??
There were many activities and events held at the resort for children and adults. Everyone looked to be having a good time...

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank WhiteIslandGirl
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My wife and I booked a room at the Heraclea hoping for a comfortable relaxed two days of exploring the Ionian coast. The Heraclea met our expectations at a great price. After staying in smaller rooms in the hill towns, we enjoyed the spacious room and even more so the terrace overloking the grounds and pool. The hotel is easy walking distance from the sea and a short drive into town. The staff were all quite helpful and engaging.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MLWeber
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed only one night in this hotel but we had a very good experience. The staff was very nice and the rooms were nice and clean.The food at the resaurant also was very good. We will come back next time and stay longer in this hotel!

Date of stay: March 2013