“A beautiful hike”

Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Nabari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 15 June 2016

Was hesitating to go initially as I din do much hiking previously and I was on a solo trip. Chose to go on a Sunday to increase possibilities of at least having other hikers around during the trip. I was so glad I went! Great place for photographers!

Reached there around 10am, there were some other hikers around, mostly locals. Its a trek along the stream, the waterfalls wasn't that amazing, but the whole trek was. There are 2 food stops along the trek, and you can sit down and get some drinks or food to enjoy the scenery. The trek was relatively easy. As I was coming out, more people were coming in as well.

Date of experience: May 2016
"ninja"
in 5 reviews
"hiking"

Reviewed 7 May 2016

Very little foreign tourists, came on a weekend. Hidden gem not too far from Osaka/Kyoto. Stumbled upon a ritual, something connected with ninja training, didn't quite understand... At least 45 minutes to watch. We didn't go all the way because it is not a circular route. Lots of photo opportunities. The trail maybe could be a bit wider...
Bus doesn't accept JR pass, although someone said it does.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 22 April 2016

The 48 Falls of Akame (赤目四十八滝) are a spot of scenic beauty in Nabari, south of Iga. There is an admission fee to the hiking trail, but I entered for free as a guest of Ikeda-sensei with a film crew recording Matsubayashi-san (pictured, attired as a mountain monk) playing the Horogai. Mr. Matsubayashi taught me how the instrument is used in his rituals. Walking the waterfall trail whilst listening to the otherworldly sound of the conch shell trumpet was a unique experience, for which I must again express my sincere thanks to Hiroshi Ikeda. My pictures cannot recapture the sounds, the smells, nor even the magnitude of the sights. But I believe the recording equipment of the local professionals did much better in that way. The footage will be used to advertise the falls. Akame is a place where nature and mysticism are intimately entwined.

Date of experience: January 2016
2  Thank ART196
Reviewed 21 February 2016

NOTE: Portuguese down below.

It was winter, we saw just 2 places open, I got upset because of that and though my experience is not going to be cool, but I went hiking anyway and I was so wrong.
Every step I did worth it. The place was beautiful, the sound of the falls was so relaxing, and we talked, laugh and toke some good pictures. The place was empty, but maybe that was better.
2 advice: Bring water, they are going to have ups and downs (tough ones) and wear comphy shoes.

Esse lugar é extremamente incrível. Fomos no inverno e quando chegamos tudo estava fechado exceto 2 lugares. Fiquei muito chateada, mas eu fui ver as cachoeiras mesmo assim e eu tive uma experiência incrível. O som das cachoeira é relaxante, o contato com a natureza é incrível e o frio só deu um toque extra.
2 conselhos: Leve água e sapatos confortáveis. ;)

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank Drikabr
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 October 2015

If you would like to get a breath of fresh air outside of the big city, then I highly recommend this walk through the forest to see the many waterfalls. It is easy to get to by taking the Kintetsu Rail Osaka line to Akame-guchi station and there is a bus there that will take you up to the falls. The `48` was a number randomly assigned to mean `many` waterfalls. (My son insisted on counting them, and said there were 25 major falls). The walk is easy enough that our 3-year-old walked almost the entire 7km on his own. At the entrance to the falls, the giant salamanders were amazing, especially the ones that were 40, 50, 60+ years old.
My advice is to start early, since it is very dark in the forest, and when the sun starts setting, it is even darker. You`ll want to have enough time to complete the entire walk. It took us about 4 hours, since we were there with young children who walked slowly and played, as well as taking too many pictures/videos along the way so it will probably take a lot less time than that for an adult. Bring your own food/drink because inside the forest it is very expensive. My son paid 200 yen for a half-size can of pop.
We went on a Saturday, and thought it would be very crowded, but it was at the beginning of the leaf-viewing season, so it was relatively empty. We didn`t see many people on the trail at all.
These days, they are trying to re-brand this place as `Ninja Valley` for foreigners, but I think that putting the focus on the beautiful nature remaining in this valley should be the priority. (Just my 2-cents)

Date of experience: October 2015