“Idyllic”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of La Vieille Dame

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Michael B
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Idyllic”
Reviewed 3 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Within ten minutes of stepping through the door we were planning when we could return. The loving renovation has created a beautiful atmosphere. The hosts are delightful and helpful. The location in the valley is charming. I very highly recommend La Vielle Dame, but please don't book it when we want to come again!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The serene atmosphere and integration of the new and the old.
Liked least: It was too warm in July to light a crackling log fire!
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
4 Aug 2016
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for this beautiful comment! And of course, it will be a pleasure for us to see you again at La Vieille Dame! :)

See you soon!

Mathieu & Virginie
trippinwi...
nc
“MAGNIFICENT!!!”
Reviewed 17 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

During our last trip to France, we had the pleasure of spending a week at this magnificent property. I am thrilled to give it my highest recommendation! We are a family of 7 experienced travelers-16 countries at last count. For the particular trip, our group consisted of my husband, myself and two of our children, ages 9 and 11.

Over the course of our travels, we have stayed in a variety of accommodations, ranging from 5 star hotels to basic cottage rentals. I will admit that, over the years, I have become increasingly persnickety about our accommodation. I will search the internet for hours (sometimes days) to find a property with the complete package- good location, good price, good sheets, good reviews and a great looking bed!

After spending a week at this amazing French farmhouse, I can honestly say that La Vieille Dame is #1 on my list of favorites.

Please allow me to sing it praises:

The owner of the property, M. de La Musse is absolutely wonderful! He responded quickly to our messages and booking the property was a breeze. After landing at CDG, we grabbed a rental car and were off to to La Vieille Dame. The French countryside was stunning and we found the property with no problems at all. Upon arrival, M. De la Musse met us at the property and provided us with everything that we needed to know about the home, vast property and local community. He even brought us a beautiful basket filled with locally grown strawberries, carrots, eggplant, potatoes, leeks and the most gorgeous red tomatoes that I have ever seen!

Our family was looking for a very independent experience. We wanted to live as a French family would- no hotel concierge, front desk staff or even bed & breakfast hosts. This is exactly what La Vielle Dame provided. M. de La Musse turned over the keys and we were on our own! (However, he was just a phone call away if we needed him or had any questions- quite a comforting sense of security during our “independent French adventure” ha ha)

Here are a few points that may seem trivial, but they are very important to me: the home was clean, the scent of the home was very nice (no stinky or unpleasant odors), all amenities were present, the shower pressure was fabulous, everything was modern & basically like new and the decor was spectacular! After admiring all three floors of the absolutely exquisite home, we explored the 4 acre property with a walk by the river. Eventually, we found the beautiful lake and towering rock wall. The meadows were so peaceful and the sounds of birds flying overhead and cows mooing from a neighboring farm completed our relaxing evening stroll.

Dinner was another delightful treat. We set out to practice our French at the local grocery store. We found everything that we needed to prepare a delicious meal in our new kitchen. As we cooked dinner we were pleased to find that the kitchen was stocked with every utensil and appliance that you could possibly need! The brand new Bosch appliances are awesome!!!

Like the kitchen, the rest of the house has everything that you could possibly need and more! I am a bit of a “bedding snob” and have a great appreciation for good sheets! M. De la Musse has supplied the very best in crisp white linens, fluffy duvets and heavenly pillows! Each night, we lit a cozy fire in the bedroom and played games with the children. La Vieille Dame has a huge selection of board games, toys for the children and even a guitar! These fabulous “extras" made us feel completely at home.

In addition to the endless attributes of the property itself, the location is also ideal. From this property, we explored nearly all of Northern France. A quick 5 minute drive and you are one of my favorite cities- Villedieu les Poeles. (IMO, you will find the best baguettes in France at the boulangiere in Villdedieu) Another scenic drive takes you to Mont St. Michel, the D-Day Landing Beaches, St. Malo and if you go a bit further west, you can easily explore Brittany. If you do, don’t miss the Carnac Stones and the 2000 year old city of Vannes- incredible!!

I have already recommended this property to all of my friends and family. It is with complete confidence that I tell you- M. de La Musse and his incredible La Vieille Dame will provide you with a most incredible experience! Do not hesitate to book this property for your next trip to France!!

Liked best: Property & Location
Liked least: That it wasn't for sale!
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
19 Oct 2015
Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for this review. It is very kind of you. It is true I spend almost two years renovating the house and I deeply tried to keep a soul inside. It was two years of pain and doubt.
However when I see this kind of review you make me feel proud of all I done for this house and It gives me courage to continue this way.

This business is also a chance for me to meet knew people all over the word. You are one of the guest owner like to welcome. You are very kind, attentive and like to share your experiences. It is always a pleasure to have a conversation with you and I will be honored to welcome you again in La Vieille Dame.

I wish you the best in US. I remain at your disposal for any assistance in case you like to go ahead moving to France.

Mathieu

PS : I have listened the vinyl collection you gave me. Wonderful !!!
OTMAN E
“Causy, but fancy and charming: that's the Vieille Dame”
Reviewed 1 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

Already the pictures gave us a flavour of the place, but once there we were just amazed, the inside is fantastically furnished, old style, old atmosphere, but fresh air, freh trees, fresh water. the owner (Mathieu) knows how to welcome his guests, we could talk to him about every kind of topics which is a plus...
we definitly want to go back, next time with my lover ;) the fire gave me that idea :)
PS: you can have a bath in the last floor looking at the sky or the stars, or the river... which is soo cool
last thing, the price is very reasonable for the luxury you get there.
PS2: you can have wifi/internet, but phone network as such is available only in some specific areas. but who cares right? we went there to forget busy life anyway ;)

Your age range 25-34
Remek L
Paris, France
“Charming mansion lost in Normandie's country”
Reviewed 12 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Old typical (but renovated) Normandie's mansion capable of offering real change of scene for anyone looking for a cooling-off sweet time with wood fire and a refined decoration. This indoors ambiance is brought with a magnificent and wide surrounding area composed of woods and a river enabling your staying to become slightly wider.

Liked best: the location
Liked least: the rain
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
Sophie B
Villedieu-les-Poeles, France
“I loved the stay in this cottage.”
Reviewed 11 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

It was like time stoped there. No stress just the nature around to relax. It is so a peacefull place. I m a big fan of the decoration which is a mixed of tradition and modern style. Really unique and charming.
Rooms are really spacious and nice. I personaly enjoyed the fireplace in my room.
I strongly recommend this place !

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing