Review Highlights
Awesome Sceneries

The Menengai Volcanic Crater is one of the main attractions in Nakuru. From the top it offers... read more

Reviewed 7 November 2018
RaphaelMN1
Nairobi, Kenya
Nature and wildlife park

Reviewed 31 August 2018
Africkson
Kenya

All reviews tourist shops takes about hours nakuru town hike caldera hill nature lodge km plants camping receipt scenery solo fees development adventure
Reviewed 31 August 2018

An environmental friendly, with good picnic sites, in and out outdoor activities. good secure camping sites. got a lodges too. as its under Kenya forest association on your lucky day you can spot a few I mean a few wild animals, come one come all lets visit our parks and sites for refreshments, adventures, educational tour for our school pupils and students.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Menengai Crater is one of those few breath taking spots that I would want to visit again and again..With one of those gorgeous views of Nakuru town and a background of lake Nakuru..its just makes it a perfect spot in this small city. However it would have been breath taking if we hard more activities such as balloon rides or some safe Arial activity. It would really boost the place. However I just love it. Camping at this spot would definatly be out of this world!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I've been up here a few times before, but it never gets old. The view is spectacular and the geothermal plants are fascinating. There are many curio shops if you want a souvenir (negotiating the price is acceptable). You can hire guides if you want to go for a hike. There's a paypoint before you start up the big hill; fees are reasonable. I paid the resident rate of 400/- via Mpesa and 100/- cash and was given a receipt for both.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Decided to hike up to the top of the crater for the views. Takes 3 hours from Nakuru and is pretty tough going especially if it's hot. Entry is 700 for visitors or 500 for students. To go to the top you don't need a guide but if you want to go to the caves or have a view of lake Nakuru you will need one. I got to the top where there is a bar/hotel, the famous sign and some tourist shops.

Here I hired a guide (johnn) for 1300 who took me through the woods to the caves which were spectacular. The most rickety and unsafe wooden stairs take you down to the caves which have become a religious centre for Christians from around the country. You also get the best view of the lake here and on the way down. The guide took me back to town through the prison which was an experience and showed me the best places for food before dropping me back at my hotel. Highly recommended for those on a budget looking for a full day out.

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank cjrb1g13
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Beautiful place for a hike... visit with friends and carry your own water.. I try to have hikes with my family monthly and we always have a great time...expect to get tired and dusty... please do not visit when it's raining for obvious reasons..

Date of experience: January 2018