“Lunchtime with friends”
Review of The Cock

The Cock
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lovely day in the sunshine so decided on lunch at The Cock. Chose the smoked chicken salad very disappointed. I qeriued that we had received the stater meal and not the main as 3 mini pieces of chicken size of a 10p piece did not appear to be correct. The man I spoke to was in my opinion off hand but offered another choice, then he went off “ to see what he could do” he returned with a few more pieces of chicken added and some squash and a few cashews. Still disappointed but didn’t want to spoil our lunch. This was an expensive salad for £13 ! So won’t be returning or recommending.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Friendly staff, good food but limited menu. It would have been nice to have had a little more choice.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We sat outside for dinner. The setting was beautiful, a lovely country pub garden. We took our 10 month old daughter with a friend. It is a baby friendly pub with decent change facilities.

For me, the disappointment was the food and slow service. The starter was dips with flatbread. The dips were bland and the houmous had a lot of cinnamon in it! The flatbread was very hard and I think it had been toasted a while before, almost inedible. We waited 45 minutes for the main dish (pork loin). It was tasty but served cold as if it had been sitting out for a long time. The sticky toffee pudding was inedible as it was excessively sweet.. You expect the sauce to be very sweet but the sponge was also, so it was too much.

I was disappointed as there is so much potential with the setting, a beautiful place. However it was spoilt by some very basic things. I am unlikely to visit again.

2  Thank Nicola O
Reviewed 14 June 2018

My partner and I walked in on a Thursday night for dinner, with no reservation. The place was fairly busy for a mid week day and in a small village. The personnel seated us straight away nonetheless and offered drinks and great complementary bread. We picked one starter and one main each from the a la carte menu and fish board. Sadly, the squid ink linguine had run out (we will be back for it!), but we were blown away by the stuffed courgettes, halloumi fries and desserts (I loved the black forest parfait). The white house wine is also a very good choice to accompany a meal.
The service is relaxed, not too slow, just the right pace to enjoy dinner and taste the food in the way it deserves while having a conversation. Portions are good size, but they will also leave some space for desserts which is a plus, right?
We will definetely go back and recommend to friends.
A big shout to the lady who served us, I am sorry I did not get the name, she was very knowleadgeble on the menu and food pairings.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

The Cock serves wonderful locally sourced farm to table type food in a cozy local tavern ambiance with friendly and helpful service.

Worth a detour to experience the special starters and entrees on their fresh fish board as well as their specialty cuts of beef, lamb and pork.

Our recent dinner was superb-starting with the red mullet appetizer and gin-cured rainbow trout, and then made ginger in to several speciality cuts of beef and lamb as well as a tasty hake fish entree.

The sticky toffee pudding and afogato for dessert did not disappoint. The wine and local craft beer selection is also very good and the location affords the opportunity for a scenic stroll by the River Ouse next to the quaint village and many old style thatched roof homes.