“UAL 106 IAD-MUC 9/11/19”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 12 October 2019

This was third leg of outbound trip. Boeing 777-200, flight was approx 75% full, so room to stretch out a bit. I had not flown United for about 10 years, first international flight with them.
Flight experienced about an hour delay in boarding due to "weather event" at IAD. Radar showed storms moving through to the south, but nothing was visible within 5 miles of the airport. Tarmac was never wetted down, so unsure of the reason for this at the busy evening rush time.
When loading started, it progressed at a fairly rapid pace. United appears to have changed loading based on seat assignment, which makes sense, ie: load window seat first, then middle, then aisle. We loaded fairly early, as were in the back of the plane. Changed seat assignment approx 3 days out to the paired seats that are in the rear of the B777 aircraft. Works nice for us as a couple.
Seats were typical economy. Legroom was normal, actually felt like I had more than the 737-8 that brought me to iAD.
Taxi and departure were non-events. Departed via Rwy 30, which allowed us to get altitude and swing out over the arriving traffic in the metroplex. We were over water in southern NJ. Due to the ground delay, sunset hit prior to hitting Long Island.
Dinner service was alright. Why do they keep insisting on serving that cold barley salad thing? very sour yet tasteless. Never saw anyone eat theirs around us. Drink service was very good.
Breakfast in the morning was yogurt and fruit, neither of which I like, so I ate the pretzels I saved from my earlier flights. Would be nice to have a pastry option or something else for us carnivores. No refills on coffee, which I really needed as I was going to have a full day.
The entertainment system worked flawlessly. Lots of choices for movies, TV, and music. Between the round-trip, I was able to watch a whole TV series.
Flew over London at sunrise, hit the continent and cloud cover until we started the descent into Munich. Landed less than 30 minutes late, so we made up some time.
On the overnight flight, rear of the plane was very quiet, not too many bathroom users and the crew kitchen area wasn't too noisy.

1  Thank Mbv9415
Write a reviewReviews (51 346)

4 750 - 4 754 of 51 346 reviews

Reviewed 12 October 2019

I stopped flying United for years because of its terrible services and staff, and finally got courage to give it a try. What a mistake ! At Frankfurt united counter security check, the security lady barely asked anyone before or after me any questions, but in my turn, she asked everything from my occupation and why I came to Europe, where I have been, who packed my bags, what I have in my bags. So I asked her the reasons why only me (during my session, 5 other non-minority people have passed the other lady’s check with barely 2 questions asked. Before me, she passed everyone in barely 30 seconds as well. Everything in common was those people were not minority like me). She got mad and she started writing down stuff on my ticket and while I was getting my boarding pass, she went to the ticket lady to give a signal. Yes, I was in trouble. I had to go through special check with the armed police (asked for reasons and the nice German security lady said a special alarm flag tagged on me. The little old me, middle aged 95lb Asian lady)
I have nothing else to say about United.

Date of travel: October 2019
1  Thank kellysf_2010
Reviewed 12 October 2019

United is my constant and go to travel carrier. I have always had good service with them and they maintain a timely schedule, easy to maneuver if switching planes say in Denver.

2  Thank 1Authenticgal
Reviewed 12 October 2019

We arrived in Vancouver 11 hours later than our original schedule, Sept 12. 11 hours. We arrived at 2:30 AM Sept 13. First, United offered us a schedule with a 40-minute connection in Chicago, arriving in Vancouver at 3:30 PM. OK, my fault for taking that schedule. The flight from GSP to O’Hare was 20 minutes late, so we knew we would miss our connection. The agent at GSP re-booked us GSP-Newark-SFO-Vancouver, arriving about 6 PM. United’s fault for booking that! There was a runway under construction at SFO, resulting in delays of over 5 hours. Ultimately, we took a flight out of Newark that was scheduled for 12:30 PM and left at 5:30 PM. Newark had flights to SFO every hour, did not cancel them but let them go many hours behind schedule. From SFO, our flight to Vancouver also had a multi-hour delay. So we didn’t miss it, but we arrived at Vancouver at 2:30 AM. United had plenty of notice of the construction at SFO—we read about it in the SF paper. But they did not adjust their schedule to anything realistic, just took customers’ money for flights that had no chance of being close to on-time. An awful experience that left us hating United.

1  Thank lindasP4622AY
Reviewed 12 October 2019

Three flights to get from San Diego to Cancun via San Francisco and Houston. All flights departed on time and arrived ahead of time. Flight officer on all flights kept the passengers informed of arrival time and current weather conditions. Food and drinks on all flights were good, glass was never empty for long till flight attendent asked if I wanted a refill.
All in all excellent flights.

Date of travel: October 2019
2  Thank ESMcK
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.