“Late, Late, Too Late”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Flight arriving to pick us up in Durango was 1 hour late.
Then a mechanical issue delayed us another hour.
By the time we finally arrived in Denver, our connecting flight to Kansas City had already left.
They did offer to put us in a hotel but indicated it could take up to 4 hours to get our luggage from one level of the Denver airport to another level where we could pick it up to go to the hotel. That would have us being transported to the hotel at 2:00am.
We had to be back to the airport at 6:00am to check in for the alternate flight home.
After waiting an hour for the luggage we decided to go on to the hotel. Then waited 40 minutes for the hotel shuttle. Had to go without our luggage because it still had not been delivered to the pick up area.
Due to the flights causing us to stay another night we were unable to spend time with our daughter and son-in-law who were in KC on Saturday night when we were SUPPOSED to be home. We had planned to have dinner and spend the evening together to celebrate Fathers Day.
Their flight was scheduled to leave KC on Sunday morning about the time we finally arrived. They had already had to go through security and we only had a few minutes to talk with them through a doorway.
In sharing our United delay story with others have heard that MANY no longer fly with United due to their inability to arrive and depart on time.
This will be our last flight with United.

1  Thank BearLovers
Write a ReviewReviews (28 890)

976 - 980 of 28 890 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our trip to Paris was fairly nice with one exception. I reluctantly pushed the call button and there was no response. After 30 minutes, I went back and found a group of 3 stewardesses sitting around BS'ing. They made all kinds of excuses and told me they were going to file a report because it didn't alert the appropriate section. They were supposed to get back with me as a followup but they never did. So much for this part. On our trip back out of Geneva Switzerland, we were kept in a small crowded room for handicapped people and then we were the last to be loaded via the galley doors. We were fortunate to have found any space in the overhead compartment for our 2 small carry-on bags with some medical equipment. The actual flight itself over and back was pretty good otherwise.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were really disappointed with the way we were treated on this flight. We flew out on Delta the week before and the flight attendants were lovely and accommodating. We didn’t ask for anything special or even hit our call button at all. They just seemed inconvenienced by EVERYONE on the aircraft. I won’t be using them again, given the choice.

1  Thank Rodney E
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On June 7, 2018 my husband and I were flying from Barcelona to SF after a wonderful cruise vacation. We arrived in plenty of time (we booked our airfare through the cruiseline to make sure). We checked in, and went to our gate. We thought that everything was going smoothly, and were waiting at the gate until there were rumors starting amongst the waiting passengers the flight was cancelled. This was not communicated or posted to the passengers. After the flight was finally confirmed as cancelled through the app, and posts on the board, that's when the real scramble began. From the beginning, the gate staff was disorganized and not providing information, which prolonged our wait/finding out our fate.There was a long line with one person staffing the desk to get on the list to be taken care of, so that was about a 2 hour process. It took us another hour to get our luggage, then we were shuttled to a hotel we were put up in was terrible (see my review for City Park Sant Just).

Travel tip- Ask where you are going to be sent first before boarding a bus. Wait it out if you have time/energy. Others were sent to a nicer hotel.

We almost missed our flight the next day because the 8:30 am shuttle United provided showed up at 9:08. Which meant after the loading the bus, we did not get on the road until 9:15 (we all threw our luggage in to speed it up). We did not get to the airport until 9:45 am for an 11:00 am international flight.The reason we were late was due to the shuttle United provided. The United staff at the airport was not helpful in expediting our check in and we were told to wait in line. They finally made a special line for us, but we were still waiting about 20 min, We did not get to passport control madness until about 10:15.

Travel tip- Take a cab, or rideshare service (Uber is not big there). Don't rely on the airline to get you there ahead of time if you want to avoid stress. When you get to the airport- go straight to the desk/go to the United staff. Do not wait in line. Also- make them promise to hold the flight and get that in writing or record it.

I guess United did hold the flight because we ended up finally boarding the flight (about 45 min or so begging people to let us through a DMV style que w/o the one line for passport control).

In flight entertainment- We did not pay for WiFi, but if we had, I would be extremely upset at the fact this flight had no in seat screens in economy (aka steerage if this was the Titanic). We had to use our own devices- in this case my IPhone. It did not work, so 8 hours w/no wifi access. I would have read my magazine, but with the tight seats, it's hard to get it from under the seat in front of it. When we asked if they could help fix the connection issues, they said the fleet is being updated, and it has issues. They then said to file a complaint when you get home on United.com.

Food- I just remember it being almost inedible and disgusting.

Travel tip- take your own protein bars and snacks in carry on. Buy a bottle of water or drink in the terminal.

Maybe United needs to take a lesson from Caviar. I ordered food last night that was
1. 30 minutes late
2. Missing an item that I paid for.

When I contacted them, they got back to me within 10 minutes, refunded the missing item and provided me a credit towards my next purchase. This reinforced my confidence in their services, provides incentive to continue and made me an overall happy customer. I will enthusiastically be using them again. I can't say the same for United Airlines. In the end, after a lot of headache and stress, they gave me a very small travel credit in addition to the amount required by the EU to compensate me for the cancelled flight, so I would try them again for a short hop- then again, that's all I can get from the amount they provided, a one way ticket from SF to LA. If I want to come home, I may look into an alternative airline.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
2  Thank mbreingold
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I needed to change my flight at the last minute due to a death in the family. After waiting 40 minutes on hold, I was able to do this for a reasonable ($206) fee. I was not able to choose my seat assignment. Was told this would happen when I signed in and printed my boarding pass. Wasn’t able to do this so called customer service about 16 hours before the flight and was told all the seats assignments were being managed by the airlines and I would have to wait until I checked in at the airport. Was a little worried because there was only one unassigned economy seat left, but there were some safety aisle seats for an extra $50. Got to SFO early and was assigned that remaining middle seat. I have moderate claustrophobia and asked to move to the aisle seat in the exit aisle and was told no. Unless I wanted to pay the fee. - But then they proceeded to offer and GIVE those seats away to others. The man next to me fell asleep with his head on my shoulder - three times.
I hate that United assigns “Classes” to tickets and board in that order. It is much more efficient to board from the back of the plane (after “special” groups)
SFO had NOT WHERE NEARLY enough seating at the gate. There were somewhere near 160 seats on the plane and maybe 45 seats at the gate. This is REDICULOUS!!
The only good thing about this trip was I did make it safely back to Portland - after taking a Xanex.
Newer plane with screens on back of every seat - but no apparent ability to turn them off

1  Thank PortlandKLS