“Bring your own- everything”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 28 June 2018

On June 7, 2018 my husband and I were flying from Barcelona to SF after a wonderful cruise vacation. We arrived in plenty of time (we booked our airfare through the cruiseline to make sure). We checked in, and went to our gate. We thought that everything was going smoothly, and were waiting at the gate until there were rumors starting amongst the waiting passengers the flight was cancelled. This was not communicated or posted to the passengers. After the flight was finally confirmed as cancelled through the app, and posts on the board, that's when the real scramble began. From the beginning, the gate staff was disorganized and not providing information, which prolonged our wait/finding out our fate.There was a long line with one person staffing the desk to get on the list to be taken care of, so that was about a 2 hour process. It took us another hour to get our luggage, then we were shuttled to a hotel we were put up in was terrible (see my review for City Park Sant Just).

Travel tip- Ask where you are going to be sent first before boarding a bus. Wait it out if you have time/energy. Others were sent to a nicer hotel.

We almost missed our flight the next day because the 8:30 am shuttle United provided showed up at 9:08. Which meant after the loading the bus, we did not get on the road until 9:15 (we all threw our luggage in to speed it up). We did not get to the airport until 9:45 am for an 11:00 am international flight.The reason we were late was due to the shuttle United provided. The United staff at the airport was not helpful in expediting our check in and we were told to wait in line. They finally made a special line for us, but we were still waiting about 20 min, We did not get to passport control madness until about 10:15.

Travel tip- Take a cab, or rideshare service (Uber is not big there). Don't rely on the airline to get you there ahead of time if you want to avoid stress. When you get to the airport- go straight to the desk/go to the United staff. Do not wait in line. Also- make them promise to hold the flight and get that in writing or record it.

I guess United did hold the flight because we ended up finally boarding the flight (about 45 min or so begging people to let us through a DMV style que w/o the one line for passport control).

In flight entertainment- We did not pay for WiFi, but if we had, I would be extremely upset at the fact this flight had no in seat screens in economy (aka steerage if this was the Titanic). We had to use our own devices- in this case my IPhone. It did not work, so 8 hours w/no wifi access. I would have read my magazine, but with the tight seats, it's hard to get it from under the seat in front of it. When we asked if they could help fix the connection issues, they said the fleet is being updated, and it has issues. They then said to file a complaint when you get home on United.com.

Food- I just remember it being almost inedible and disgusting.

Travel tip- take your own protein bars and snacks in carry on. Buy a bottle of water or drink in the terminal.

Maybe United needs to take a lesson from Caviar. I ordered food last night that was
1. 30 minutes late
2. Missing an item that I paid for.

When I contacted them, they got back to me within 10 minutes, refunded the missing item and provided me a credit towards my next purchase. This reinforced my confidence in their services, provides incentive to continue and made me an overall happy customer. I will enthusiastically be using them again. I can't say the same for United Airlines. In the end, after a lot of headache and stress, they gave me a very small travel credit in addition to the amount required by the EU to compensate me for the cancelled flight, so I would try them again for a short hop- then again, that's all I can get from the amount they provided, a one way ticket from SF to LA. If I want to come home, I may look into an alternative airline.

2  Thank mbreingold
Write a ReviewReviews (33 618)

5 260 - 5 264 of 33 618 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I needed to change my flight at the last minute due to a death in the family. After waiting 40 minutes on hold, I was able to do this for a reasonable ($206) fee. I was not able to choose my seat assignment. Was told this would happen when I signed in and printed my boarding pass. Wasn’t able to do this so called customer service about 16 hours before the flight and was told all the seats assignments were being managed by the airlines and I would have to wait until I checked in at the airport. Was a little worried because there was only one unassigned economy seat left, but there were some safety aisle seats for an extra $50. Got to SFO early and was assigned that remaining middle seat. I have moderate claustrophobia and asked to move to the aisle seat in the exit aisle and was told no. Unless I wanted to pay the fee. - But then they proceeded to offer and GIVE those seats away to others. The man next to me fell asleep with his head on my shoulder - three times.
I hate that United assigns “Classes” to tickets and board in that order. It is much more efficient to board from the back of the plane (after “special” groups)
SFO had NOT WHERE NEARLY enough seating at the gate. There were somewhere near 160 seats on the plane and maybe 45 seats at the gate. This is REDICULOUS!!
The only good thing about this trip was I did make it safely back to Portland - after taking a Xanex.
Newer plane with screens on back of every seat - but no apparent ability to turn them off

1  Thank PortlandKLS
Reviewed 28 June 2018

the division to groups works well and the boarding went very smoothly.
good service and reach choice of entertainment.
the food was mediocre

Reviewed 28 June 2018

More than one of the attendants seemed frustrated, overwhelmed, annoyed towards passengers, including myself, towards passengers' regular questions and requests such as needing water, blankets; I had often found the the attendants talking to passengers in a tone of scolding or patronizing. One attendant said to another one, in a loud voice that I heard clearly several rows from her, referring to a passenger, "that woman was so rude, I don't want to talk to her". Two attendants spoke in Chinese to Chinese-speaking passengers, then yelled in English to them knowing they probably wouldn't understand ... Overall, this is my worst experience with flight attendance ever. My husband agreed and told me he had felt that the passengers were "in the way" for the attendants. Fortunately, only several, but not all attendants, behaved liked that.

1  Thank JacquieYe
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I am astonished, not in a good way.

Returning home from Chicago, we were alerted the day before by United that there was a storm front moving in and offered to change our flight for us for no additional charge if we wanted to. We did not.

Departure day, many of our associates returning home to various points around the country had their flights suddenly cancelled and they all when scrambling for other flights or accommodations. We stayed the course, our flight still showing on time.
Returned our rental car, shuttled to the airport on time, flight still shows on time. But airport is overcrowded with passengers whos flights had been delayed or cancelled.

We got to our gate with a 2 hr wait before boarding. 20 minutes before boarding we are told that there was an hour delay. An hour later we were told our gate had changed to a different concorse (from C to B) so grab our carryons and scramble through the tunnel under the tarmac. Find our gate and there is no where to sit, anywhere. So stand and expect to board in another 20 minutes then we are alerted to another delay of 90 min. Fortunately some folks did get to board their flights over time and we found someplace to sit. Until we heard the loud speakers stating we had another gate change, this time back to concourse C. Oh well, lets get something to eat. WE have another hour at least before boarding. No, lets be safe and take our food to the gate. We get there and What? this plane is already boarding. OK, we board. We are over two hours late but at least we are not 3 or more hours late.

Our first class cabin has no movie or other entertainment but the seats are ok. End of event. We got home, but we parked near the American Concourse now coming into the United Concourse, we had to walk 1000 yards to get to our car. Barely home by midnight. Boy am I tired.