“I USED to Like United Airlines . . .”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I needed to change my flight at the last minute due to a death in the family. After waiting 40 minutes on hold, I was able to do this for a reasonable ($206) fee. I was not able to choose my seat assignment. Was told this would happen when I signed in and printed my boarding pass. Wasn’t able to do this so called customer service about 16 hours before the flight and was told all the seats assignments were being managed by the airlines and I would have to wait until I checked in at the airport. Was a little worried because there was only one unassigned economy seat left, but there were some safety aisle seats for an extra $50. Got to SFO early and was assigned that remaining middle seat. I have moderate claustrophobia and asked to move to the aisle seat in the exit aisle and was told no. Unless I wanted to pay the fee. - But then they proceeded to offer and GIVE those seats away to others. The man next to me fell asleep with his head on my shoulder - three times.
I hate that United assigns “Classes” to tickets and board in that order. It is much more efficient to board from the back of the plane (after “special” groups)
SFO had NOT WHERE NEARLY enough seating at the gate. There were somewhere near 160 seats on the plane and maybe 45 seats at the gate. This is REDICULOUS!!
The only good thing about this trip was I did make it safely back to Portland - after taking a Xanex.
Newer plane with screens on back of every seat - but no apparent ability to turn them off

1  Thank PortlandKLS
Write a ReviewReviews (28 819)

919 - 923 of 28 819 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

the division to groups works well and the boarding went very smoothly.
good service and reach choice of entertainment.
the food was mediocre

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

More than one of the attendants seemed frustrated, overwhelmed, annoyed towards passengers, including myself, towards passengers' regular questions and requests such as needing water, blankets; I had often found the the attendants talking to passengers in a tone of scolding or patronizing. One attendant said to another one, in a loud voice that I heard clearly several rows from her, referring to a passenger, "that woman was so rude, I don't want to talk to her". Two attendants spoke in Chinese to Chinese-speaking passengers, then yelled in English to them knowing they probably wouldn't understand ... Overall, this is my worst experience with flight attendance ever. My husband agreed and told me he had felt that the passengers were "in the way" for the attendants. Fortunately, only several, but not all attendants, behaved liked that.

1  Thank JacquieYe
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am astonished, not in a good way.

Returning home from Chicago, we were alerted the day before by United that there was a storm front moving in and offered to change our flight for us for no additional charge if we wanted to. We did not.

Departure day, many of our associates returning home to various points around the country had their flights suddenly cancelled and they all when scrambling for other flights or accommodations. We stayed the course, our flight still showing on time.
Returned our rental car, shuttled to the airport on time, flight still shows on time. But airport is overcrowded with passengers whos flights had been delayed or cancelled.

We got to our gate with a 2 hr wait before boarding. 20 minutes before boarding we are told that there was an hour delay. An hour later we were told our gate had changed to a different concorse (from C to B) so grab our carryons and scramble through the tunnel under the tarmac. Find our gate and there is no where to sit, anywhere. So stand and expect to board in another 20 minutes then we are alerted to another delay of 90 min. Fortunately some folks did get to board their flights over time and we found someplace to sit. Until we heard the loud speakers stating we had another gate change, this time back to concourse C. Oh well, lets get something to eat. WE have another hour at least before boarding. No, lets be safe and take our food to the gate. We get there and What? this plane is already boarding. OK, we board. We are over two hours late but at least we are not 3 or more hours late.

Our first class cabin has no movie or other entertainment but the seats are ok. End of event. We got home, but we parked near the American Concourse now coming into the United Concourse, we had to walk 1000 yards to get to our car. Barely home by midnight. Boy am I tired.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our trip started in Split, Croatia and we had boarding passes all the way to San Luis Obispo, but things got very slow with our leg from Germany to the U.S. As the passengers for a very large flight, gathered at the gate for the San Francisco flight, they kept calling out large lists of names that had to check in with the desk. We finally found out that even though we had all gone through passport control, the new rules for U.S. bound flights required us to have our passports run through the system one more time at the gate.
Our flight ended up over an hour and a half leaving, even thought the aircraft was available at the airport, but not at the gate. Many connections, including ours, were missed that day,