“Smooth flight over storms”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We were the last flight out of Orlando on a flight that was delayed. When checking with airline personnel at check in, we were told immediately of the delay in this flight. Apparently an earlier flight had a mechanical issue which caused delays going forward. Boarding went well, no glitches and as is the norm with SW, you choose your seat when you board. Our flight was not quite full and we were able to get seats towards the front of the plane. We were told during our flight that there were significant storms across the Midwest and that we would be flying around 40K feet above the storms. Because of this decision, the flight was smooth with minimal turbulence. Comfortable flight. Would choose this airline again.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (29 885)

5 226 - 5 230 of 29 885 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

My wife and I prefer Southwest to any other US carrier. There rebooking, cancellation and baggage fee policies, the esprit de corps of their staff (both in the air and on the ground) are second to none. We only wish they would fly into Canada.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We flew to New Orleans from New York LaGuardia. Our connection was through Houston. Our scheduled flight had a tight connection time of 45 minutes. We arrived in Houston early and made our connection with no problem. All in all the trip was better than I expected.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

This is the standard other airlines ought to incorporate. The customer service is great, the amenities are nice.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Southwest Airlines is no longer a cheaper option compared to the other airlines. The pricing structure is essentially the same as American and Delta including the baggage. While searching for prices to buy this flight, the cost for all the airlines were about the same when factoring luggage charges.

Since the pricing is the same, the cattle loading process is a joke. The company stance is that there are three loading groups: A, B and C. I would challenge that and say there are nine boarding groups and you should expect to be in the final groups boarding that will get center seats only. The 1st group to board is Pre-boarding as the gate attendant calls out. The 2nd group is business upgrade. The 3rd group is A 1-30. 4th group is A 31-60. The 5th group is XT or those that need extra time. The 6th and 7th are B 1-30 and 31-60. The 8th and 9th are the C groups.

Southwest has a 24 hour check in policy. 24 hours before your flight you can check in online. Theoretically, it's first come first service. I check in litterally the minute it lets me in. I always get B group. As a result, I rarely get to sit with my family or co-workers. I get stuck in the middle group. It's a terrible experience every time.

My next major complaint of this economy airline that charges same fares as regular airlines is no inflight entertainment. I am expected to use my smart phone and run down my battery by connecting to their free wifi to watch TV. If I want to see a movie on my phone, I'm free to pay $5 for the privilege. If you're using my device to give me access to your entertainment system, then give me a power source in every seat.

The biggest upside to Southwest: The flight attendants rock. They really are the best in the industry. I like them a lot. I also like not paying baggage fees. Because there is no fee, more people check their bags. Because they are checked, there almost never is a fight to be the first on the plane to get space.

I am not a fan of Southwest. When there was a clear price point difference that I could see and feel in my pocket book then I was okay with the cattle call loading. Now I am not. At 6'2", I do not want to sit in a center seat. I want to sit next to my wife or co-worker. Southwest does not give me a chance to make that happen even when I book at exactly the 24 pre-board checkin.