“Southwest is no longer a cost saving option to put up with the budget experience”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Southwest Airlines is no longer a cheaper option compared to the other airlines. The pricing structure is essentially the same as American and Delta including the baggage. While searching for prices to buy this flight, the cost for all the airlines were about the same when factoring luggage charges.

Since the pricing is the same, the cattle loading process is a joke. The company stance is that there are three loading groups: A, B and C. I would challenge that and say there are nine boarding groups and you should expect to be in the final groups boarding that will get center seats only. The 1st group to board is Pre-boarding as the gate attendant calls out. The 2nd group is business upgrade. The 3rd group is A 1-30. 4th group is A 31-60. The 5th group is XT or those that need extra time. The 6th and 7th are B 1-30 and 31-60. The 8th and 9th are the C groups.

Southwest has a 24 hour check in policy. 24 hours before your flight you can check in online. Theoretically, it's first come first service. I check in litterally the minute it lets me in. I always get B group. As a result, I rarely get to sit with my family or co-workers. I get stuck in the middle group. It's a terrible experience every time.

My next major complaint of this economy airline that charges same fares as regular airlines is no inflight entertainment. I am expected to use my smart phone and run down my battery by connecting to their free wifi to watch TV. If I want to see a movie on my phone, I'm free to pay $5 for the privilege. If you're using my device to give me access to your entertainment system, then give me a power source in every seat.

The biggest upside to Southwest: The flight attendants rock. They really are the best in the industry. I like them a lot. I also like not paying baggage fees. Because there is no fee, more people check their bags. Because they are checked, there almost never is a fight to be the first on the plane to get space.

I am not a fan of Southwest. When there was a clear price point difference that I could see and feel in my pocket book then I was okay with the cattle call loading. Now I am not. At 6'2", I do not want to sit in a center seat. I want to sit next to my wife or co-worker. Southwest does not give me a chance to make that happen even when I book at exactly the 24 pre-board checkin.

• Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (25 461)

841 - 845 of 25 461 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The staff was very friendly and informative coming and going. The pilot was very good. Very accommodating.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Loved the way they loaded passengers. Flight attendants were very nice. Loved that luggage wasn't an additional charge. Would definitely fly them again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'm never disappointed when I fly Southwest. Great airline and great staff. But for me it is the ease with which changes to your plans... even at the last minute are quick and easy to deal with. I recently planned a college trip to Milwaukee with my daughter. Her lacrosse team was in playoffs and won a game advancing to the finals for the state. I needed to change our plans and go to Milwaukee a week later. It was extremely easy to cancel the original round trip flights for the two of us and then book new flights and use the funds from the original flight. It was quick and efficient. The new flights were a little more expensive because I was only 6 days out but that is to be expected. But it wasn't all that much more expensive. And when I did take the flight and one of the legs home was delayed I was alerted on my phone. Gate changes were also communicated via a text alert saving me some additional time when I landed. Every effort was taken to get the plane off the ground quickly and efficiently by announcing to all the passengers in seating area how to make the process as quick and painless as possible. I also love that I can follow flight information on my mobile phone during the flight at no expense. The app also gives destination connection information as well. I always try to fly Southwest for both business and pleasure.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)

We booked round trip flight for two from Louisville to Los Angeles. We gave
ourself an extra day, because it was a family wedding.
The day of the flight, we arrived at the airport 2 hours before our flight. We went
to the counter, checked luggage and got boarding passes. We went to the gate
and realized something was wrong. We found out from the news that the airlines
computers were down and no flights taking off. We had to go back to the counter,
stand in line for an hour just to get our luggage back. While in line, we contacted other
airlines and were able to secure a flight to Los Angeles at a huge expense. The only
compensation we received from airline that cancelled our flight was a refund.