“A first positive experience.”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 27 May 2024

I would like to appreciate the excellent service of the South African Airways staff in Johannesburg. This was my first flight with South African Airways. The day before United cancelled my Johannesburg to Newark flight due to mechanical problems. The flight to Cape Town was needed to then go to Newark.

The staff at the ticketing area at the Johannesburg airport oriented me and also gave me a ticket for the United flight.

I was impressed with the in flight service which included soft drinks, South African wines and beer. The lunch was disfruted in a cute box (photo included).

The 2 hour flight departed puntually and arrived on time at Cape Town. My luggage also arrived fine, and was delivered in about 15 minutes. Carry on luggage was restricted to less than 7 kg. The boarding does not follow a group 1, 2, etc; you just stand in-line.

Reviews (4 932)

7 - 11 of 4 932 reviews

Reviewed 25 May 2024

Excellent helpful service by Zanele at the check-in desk, who ensured that a document I needed to return to SA, which I had left at home, was handed to me at the aircraft door on my return. A real STAR. The flight itself was excellent.

Reviewed 24 May 2024

No customer service. If only someone would pick up the phone or answer an email.
DO NOT BOOK DIRECT

Date of travel: December 2023
Reviewed 22 May 2024

I had great experiences on my flights from Windhoek to Johannesburg on Monday and return flight on Wednesday. Excellent service, Excellent food, Great hospitality.
I booked with SAA because they were recommended as the safest airline in S.A and I would agree with that. The only reason I didn't gave a 5 star rating is because they sanitized the cabin while the passengers were on board, stating that it is WHO approved and if you are concerned about harmful effects you should breath through a cloth... as if that would prevent breathing in disinfectant? I don't know if that is industry standard but that was a terrible experience for me. However I would like to state that my general experience was positive and I also intend my rating to be the same.

Reviewed 5 May 2024

We had a wonderful experience on South African Airways.
Professional staff, ample leg room, good food, fantastic pilot!
I would definitely recommend the airline!

Date of travel: April 2024
1  Thank Mary W
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.