“Hit or Miss”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 30 June 2018

I paid extra to sit in a bulk head seat and that was a mistake. While I did not have a neighbor, the seat was smaller and the seat belt was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever experienced on a flight. It was "padded" and bulkier that the regular seat belt and took up a lot of space in the seat. That made for a long 15+ hour flight. I am not a huge fan of curry and it seems that most of the food has that ingredient.
The flight attendants are helpful and attentive and I enjoyed the choices of entertainment. I have flown SA many times and it now seems to be "hit or miss" on the experience.

2  Thank Thea G
Write a reviewReviews (4 847)

1 493 - 1 497 of 4 847 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2018

I almost forget about South African Airline, if you don't ask me to review my airline experience. Over the past two decades, I have flied to South African Airways a few time and it's always my first choice (or Qantas, they code-share, & I haven't given much thoughts which is which).
The food and wine are good at SAA and their freebies are well-considered and very useful & hard to find/buy too. e.g. I love the small plastic zip-bag (with the SAA design in blue) & use them to separate my cards, small changes, etc. well-organized to slip in my pocket.

Date of travel: July 2017
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Very comfortable flight with comfortable seats and good leg room.
Pity the cost is so high as I cant afford this airline regularly.
The legroom and seats are actually more comfortable than other airlines I have traveled on domestically.

1  Thank lesliehH1399WG
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Surprisingly, even though we flew economy (not even economy plus) on this almost 16 hour flight from JFK to Johannesburg, the flight was quiet comfortable. We got two seats accross--window and aisle. (Some passengers opted for the seats four in a row and were able to stretch out on unoccupied seats) Service was good and meals were fine. (We're not picky). South African flies older planes so no USB plug-ins. The price was right. The transfer from JNB to Capetown was smooth even when we had to clear immigration and customs in a relatively short time.

Date of travel: May 2018
2  Thank msomachi
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The only reason anyone should fly SAA is for the cheap flight. I would rather pay more and fly on a normal airline. The legroom in economy is very limited compared to SAA's domestic subsidiary, Mango. SAA used to be the best airline in Africa but they've been overtaken by the Ethopian and Kenyan national carriers.
On my return flight, they left my (and other passengers) checked luggage in Johannesburg and I only received it the following afternoon.

• Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.