“Business flight back to RSA”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 1 week ago

Service was excellent and the new seating arrangements are great.
You can lie down completely flat and be well rested when you arrive at your destination.
One comment I would make is that you cannot see the TV screen properly when led down so watch when you are in a reclined sitting position. This comment applies even more if one wears multi-focal lenses.
The wine and food was good and my luggage arrived on the carousel very quickly.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (2 289)

13 - 17 of 2 289 reviews

Reviewed 1 week ago

I travel to Lagos once a month and always fly SAA. They are on time 99%. The flight is comfortable, the food is OK. Not great, but much much better then the majority of African airlines. What makes the flight enjoyable is the crew. They are always attentive and obliging. On my last flight on the 30th November Lenesia Fensham was a typical example of the kind attentive service one comes to expect from SAA and one usually gets. My only adverse comment on SAA is the service in the Platinum lounge at OR Tambo has deteriorated badly over the past few months. Also the lounge in Lagos is not up to the standard of the previous lounge. But the fight on SAA is great.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Having been stationed in Korea for a year, and having flown back to the States three times, I don't remember any leg of these flights lasting for over 14 hours. In fact, I didn't know an airliner could stay aloft that long. The attendants did their best to make our flight back and forth comfortable. The dinner and breakfast meals were very good, and we had access to water and juice anytime we wanted it. I did my homework and took seat cushions to keep our rears from becoming numb. We had seats 48H and 48K on the flight over and 53A and 53C on the flight back. The Airbus had a 2-4-2 seating configuration, so we didn't have anyone else beside us. There was plenty of legroom, even when the persons in front of us reclined. Enough legroom that I could comfortably cross my legs, if I chose to. Both flights were during darkness so the attendants kept the lights off for most of the flights. Most people slept. The only drawback was that prereserving seats cost $25 each way per seat ($100 for both of us).

Reviewed 1 week ago

SAA looked to be a good way for getting from our home in Queensland to Cape Town for a wedding. It appears to be the most direct.

The flight to Cape Town was long, the A-340 was configured similarly to what Cathay Pacific were using when they first got A-340s in the 1990s. All right, but not great. Cabin staff were very cheery and helpful.

Having our luggage unwrapped, the locks and zippers broken, and perfume stolen, on the trip back was not wonderful, however.

SAA got the job done - but no need to ever use them again.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Seating, as usual for economy, tight but service was efficient and the bathrooms were kept clean. Air staff all polite and helpful and the landings were wonderful, hardly a bump which is a credit to cockpit crew.